Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

10x18 ‘Find Me’

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:28 am

An adventure for Daryl and Carol turns sideways when they come across an old cabin. It takes Daryl back to the years when he left the group after Rick disappeared as he relives a time that only the apocalypse could manifest.

This is going to be a huge Daryl episode and I can’t wait but also feel very anxious about it as it involves a woman called Leah, he had some kind of relationship with in the time when he was living away from the main group, - after Rick ‘died’, as far as they know.

I’m a bit perplexed why such an important event as a relationship for Daryl (after 10 years in the apocalypse!) will be addressed in short flashbacks, and I really hope it is only a support story to the relationship he’s been building with Connie, and it won’t negate/replace/rewrite what we have seen develop between those two darlings.

Anxiously looking forward to this!

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am

Ok, here it goes.

Flashback or no flashback - how could we possibly care about this relationship? Set up in five minutes and lasting five minutes? With a complete stranger? Most people who actually care about Daryl getting into a relationship, would either be rooting for him to find and be with Connie or finally get together with Carol. I don’t have any particular issues with Leah per se, (bit of a Danielle Rousseau character from Lost?) but I just couldn’t bring myself to care. Perhaps I could have dug this story if Connie wasn't in the picture now, with such a painstakingly slow burn. We were always meant to believe that it's because Daryl hasn't had a relationship in ten years or maybe ever, then voila, here's Leah. So Connie now is a painstaking slow burn because Daryl is not fully over Leah, or he's too scared to try again with someone else, with his track record of losing people.

I’m reserving some judgement to see how this will fit into the great scheme of things.
But as I'm somewhat invested in Daryl :roll: , I feel a little cheated that this is what we have gotten as his first relationship in ten years (real time, and now it turns out to be about 7 years in story time).

It also goes completely against what Norman wanted for his character in the hundreds of interviews he’s given on the subject. The awkwardness of physical relationship. But maybe it was very awkward. We just didn't get to see any of it. :roll:

I can’t even give a score to this episode, it left me so disheartened. On my first watch, there were only two things I liked, besides Daryl finally losing it with Carol who was super annoying in this episode:

1. Daryl chucking a fish at Leah’s door, trying to be nice. Hilarious. I don’t even care that he probably wouldn’t have done that, no matter how much a caveman he could be. It was very funny.

2. I loved how he said to Carol “I know where I’m supposed to be”. This was a nice contrast to not being able to decide when Leah had asked him.

I feel a bit bad about how strained Daryl and Carol are, I love their friendship so much. But I’m sure they will figure their shit out, so I’m not too worried. Carol though, was she just expecting Daryl to move on like nothing had happened? All her joking around was way over the top, I thought.
Maybe she was literally trying too hard. :roll:

So now what's next? I hope Angela Kang will make sure the Connie/Daryl reunion will be something spectacular and Daryl will finally be able to commit to a woman before she dies or disappears... Or should we get our brains rewired to accept this new (apparently old :roll: ) relationship, that might resurface sometime in the future? Hm.

I will need to rewatch, to chase away (or enhance) this feeling of disappointment. The problem is, even if I look at the Leah/Daryl love story in complete isolation, (suspending my Connie expectations), I'd still be disappointed. Because I think I might have liked it. I might have really liked it. If it had been given time and space to grow.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:13 pm

Dee wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:23 am
Ok, here it goes.

Flashback or no flashback - how could we possibly care about this relationship? Set up in five minutes and lasting five minutes? With a complete stranger? Most people who actually care about Daryl getting into a relationship, would either be rooting for him to find and be with Connie or finally get together with Carol. I don’t have any particular issues with Leah per se, (bit of a Danielle Rousseau character from Lost?) but I just couldn’t bring myself to care. Perhaps I could have dug this story if Connie wasn't in the picture now, with such a painstakingly slow burn. We were always meant to believe that it's because Daryl hasn't had a relationship in ten years or maybe ever, then voila, here's Leah. So Connie now is a painstaking slow burn because Daryl is not fully over Leah, or he's too scared to try again with someone else, with his track record of losing people.

I’m reserving some judgement to see how this will fit into the great scheme of things.
But as I'm somewhat invested in Daryl :roll: , I feel a little cheated that this is what we have gotten as his first relationship in ten years (real time, and now it turns out to be about 7 years in story time).

It also goes completely against what Norman wanted for his character in the hundreds of interviews he’s given on the subject. The awkwardness of physical relationship. But maybe it was very awkward. We just didn't get to see any of it. :roll:

Oof. I'm with you on this one, PIC, and I don't embrace the slow burn quite like you do. There were some sweet moments and gestures in this brief encounter but it didn't feel right to me even stepping back to view dispassionately (which is hard for a passion-lover such as myself). I don't think it was played quite right and I blame the rushed nature of the script. The circling each other like scared animals approach would work if given more breadth, I think, but in this short episode it was missing something and felt too abrupt and edgy...until it didn't. Not enough space to develop the relationship. Nope.

I can’t even give a score to this episode, it left me so disheartened. On my first watch, there were only two things I liked, besides Daryl finally losing it with Carol who was super annoying in this episode:

Carol has been super annoying too many times. They need to give that a solid break at this point. She's like a mewling mouse.

1. Daryl chucking a fish at Leah’s door, trying to be nice. Hilarious. I don’t even care that he probably wouldn’t have done that, no matter how much a caveman he could be. It was very funny.

Ha! I got a kick out of that too!

2. I loved how he said to Carol “I know where I’m supposed to be”. This was a nice contrast to not being able to decide when Leah had asked him.

I feel a bit bad about how strained Daryl and Carol are, I love their friendship so much. But I’m sure they will figure their shit out, so I’m not too worried. Carol though, was she just expecting Daryl to move on like nothing had happened? All her joking around was way over the top, I thought.
Maybe she was literally trying too hard. :roll:

It makes sense that in spite of what a true friend and gentleman Daryl has been to Carol that this issue would raise its head occasionally. I didn't like the manner in which it did, though I did feel a bit of relief when Daryl actually lashed out at her a smidgen as he has been so upright about it almost to an unbelievable extent, knowing of course that these people have to give each other a wide berth due to the nature of their existences. Each one of them has made those same types of lose/lose decisions and have lost their minds due to the horror and stress and put others in danger.

So now what's next? I hope Angela Kang will make sure the Connie/Daryl reunion will be something spectacular and Daryl will finally be able to commit to a woman before she dies or disappears... Or should we get our brains rewired to accept this new (apparently old :roll: ) relationship, that might resurface sometime in the future? Hm.

Hopefully not. The only way this could happen is if the actress playing Connie is not available for some reason. BTW, at this point I would barf on my shiny shoes if Daryl and Carol got together. If that ship had any wind in its sails to begin with, it is gone-gone now. I know they will remain friends and that is good enough for me.

I will need to rewatch, to chase away (or enhance) this feeling of disappointment. The problem is, even if I look at the Leah/Daryl love story in complete isolation, (suspending my Connie expectations), I'd still be disappointed. Because I think I might have liked it. I might have really liked it. If it had been given time and space to grow.

Absolutely! Moving on folks. Shy of some sweet moments, this was a bit of an "ugly twin" to what could have happened and what should have happened. I know your disappointment was heightened compared to mine and I had less expectation so am a good barometer!

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:39 am

I'm thinking Daryl's singing voice is something like this. True southern country voice. I perhaps have 2-3 country songs on my playlists that I listen to regularly so it is not my go-to preference, but having lived in the South of the US for decades now, I'm understanding the deep roots in this genre beginning with songs of the mountains handed down like folk tales with that rustic twang and hard-living aura floating throughout any classic country song.

Nic

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:05 am

Very late to this one.. Life has been chocka-blok lately so only got around to watching this ep yesterday.
So Mz D... I feel your pain :72:
For an episode centered around Daryls' backstory I truly found it underwhelming.
For my son and husband who watch with me, they were flat out bored.
Both of your reviews are spot on, nothing more to say but NEXT!!!!

OH! Loved that song Lori.. I can totally visualise Daryl singing that.

DawnFae

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:37 am

Lori wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:39 am
I'm thinking Daryl's singing voice is something like this. True southern country voice. I perhaps have 2-3 country songs on my playlists that I listen to regularly so it is not my go-to preference, but having lived in the South of the US for decades now, I'm understanding the deep roots in this genre beginning with songs of the mountains handed down like folk tales with that rustic twang and hard-living aura floating throughout any classic country song.

I love this SOng! Thank you Mz. S :x :x :x

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm

Lol, I can’t imagine Daryl singing, at all!

I’ve just rewatched the episode with my daughter and liked it much more this time, - trying not to be so precious and overly protective about Daryl’s love life. If they give us DEVELOPMENT with Connie, I’m prepared to forgive this sketchy flashback love story with a complete stranger.

The photography was stunning throughout.

• Information