Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Re: The Maori People

Moonchime

Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:02 am

The Maori.
I really enjoyed reading Lori's post on the North American Indians and thought it would be great to explore the indigenous people of New Zealand - the Maori.

The video is very short -a couple of minutes - but it's a very quick taster for a start.

From Wiki:
The Māori are the indigenous Polynesian people of New Zealand. Māori originated with settlers from eastern Polynesia, who arrived in New Zealand in several waves of waka (canoe) voyages somewhere between 1320 and 1350. Over several centuries in isolation, these settlers developed their own distinctive culture whose language, mythology, crafts and performing arts evolved independently from other eastern Polynesian cultures.

The arrival of Europeans in New Zealand, starting in the 17th century, brought enormous changes to the Māori way of life. Māori people gradually adopted many aspects of Western society and culture. Initial relations between Māori and Europeans were largely amicable, and with the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1840, the two cultures coexisted. Rising tensions over disputed land sales led to conflict in the 1860s, and massive land confiscations. Social upheaval, and epidemics of introduced disease took a devastating toll on the Māori population, which fell dramatically. By the start of the 20th century, the Māori population had begun to recover, and efforts have been made to increase their standing in wider New Zealand society and achieve social justice.

Traditional Māori culture has thereby enjoyed a significant revival, which was further bolstered by a Māori protest movement that emerged in the 1960s. However, disproportionate numbers of Māori face significant economic and social obstacles, and generally have lower life expectancies and incomes compared with other New Zealand ethnic groups. They suffer higher levels of crime, health problems, and educational under-achievement. A number of socioeconomic initiatives have been instigated with the aim of "closing the gap" between Māori and other New Zealanders. Political and economic redress for historical grievances is also ongoing.

There are many Hakas but for the moment I thought it would be fun to look at this video of the top 5 - you don't have to watch them all but I love number 3.
Number 4 is at a wedding so that's quite amusing - I don't see why number 5 is the best though.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:59 pm

A very intriguing introduction, Mz Moonchime, thank you!

I’m very interested in the remains of the non-verbal language of the Maori, and learning more about the origins and intentions of the hakas.

I’ve watched them all. Was #3 at a funeral? It was quite moving to see a sea of people doing it, as in a what I took a gesture of showing respect.

The wedding one, wow. First it moved the bride to tears, then she couldn’t resist the urge to join in. They seem so powerful and spiritual, with an irresistible force. The performers seem to be possessed! I liked the basketball players, when the opposition was kind of rolling their eyes. Not exactly respectful but very funny. And the first one? Stripping off? lol Apparently not a prerequisite, but I won’t object!

So I need to learn more about this practice!!! So fascinating.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Although commonly associated with the traditional battle preparations of male warriors, haka have long been performed by both men and women, and several varieties of the haka fulfil social functions within Māori culture. Haka are performed to welcome distinguished guests, or to acknowledge great achievements, occasions or funerals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Such powerful harmonies! Wow.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:09 pm

The Maori people and culture is completely new to me. It's obvious there is so much meaning in the dances - so much solidarity. Fierce. Intimidating. A touchstone for this culture. I was curious about the tattooing that seems rampant in both men and women. Incredibly interesting!

https://www.zealandtattoo.co.nz/tattoo- ... ri-tattoo/
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9k95 ... in-tattoos

Moonchime

Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:22 am

Thank you both so much - I love the things you have found and find myself getting all excited about it all.
The Haka just mesmerises me - and every time we saw any Maori display/show they always performed one. Interestingly, the England team forming an arrowhead caused a bit of a stir when the New Zealand team performed their Haka at the world cup rugby match last year.

Great additions Dee.

I think it could be very good for the face as an exercise - I swear I used to do a similar thing in yoga once. :57:

Lori you have found some great images - it is so clear in one of them that the tattoo, or Ta moko as they call it, was traditionally "etched" into their skin - I reckon it might put me off having one.
From
media.newzealand.com
'Tattoo' is the English version of the Tahitian word tatu. Tattoo is the tradition of marking the skin with ink and needles, whereas moko is the practice of scarring and marking the skin to reflect the whakapapa (genealogy) of the Māori wearer. Moko can be seen as a cultural affirmation.

All symbols have meaning, usually a tribal link that tells the background and stories of the wearer. Moko is a visual language that connects the wearer to their whakapapa.

The Maori had no written language prior to 1814 (when missionaries introduced the Latin alphabet), their stories and history were passed down orally and through their symbols and carvings.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:31 pm

So let’s pick this line up about the symbols!

Symbols recurring in various art forms such as bone, wood, and jade, carvings, murals, and tattooing are an important part of Maori culture. This because the Maori passed on their cultural heritage and history by oral lore. At least that was before the Europeans arrived at the shores of Aotearoa. (the Maori word for New Zealand meaning 'land of the big white cloud')

Because of this oral tradition such symbols were important means to tell historical tales and cultural beliefs. This is why each Maori symbol has its own particular meaning. Many of them have several meanings and most also refer to important Maori myths.

There are dozens of different Maori symbols.
https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/M ... r-Meanings

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Koru

Koru is the Maori word for the unfurling fern frond of New Zealand's silver fern. Both the symbol as the baby fern are characterized by an inward, circular or spiral shape.

This shape, as well as the fresh fern frond, resemble new life, growth, a fresh start, new beginnings. But koru also, more spiritually, stands for; nurturing, tranquility, purity, personal growth, awakening and positive change.

Koru's spiral form simulates perpetual movement. The inner curl resembles going back to the origin. The koru therefore resembles the concept of ever changing life and also staying the same.

Because of their symbolism koru necklaces are often given as a present during mile-stone occasions. The symbol matches perfectly with taking a new step in life such as leaving home, marriages, or getting a (first) child.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Pikorua

The Pikoura or a twist symbol stands for the bond between two people. Whether this might be by friendship, love, or blood.

The twist symbol also resembles the path of life and eternity. In this context it refers to the everlasting bond between two people which will never fade even if they will be separated for short or longer periods.

The shape of the pikorua resembles the paths of life of these persons and how they always will be back to together. Therefore the Maori twist symbol necklace is a popular gift among lovers, family, friends, and even in situations when someone has passed away.

Apart from the single twist there are also the double and triple twist. The meaning of double and triple twists is roughly the same but these designs can also refer to the bond between different cultures or peoples instead of individuals. They also refer to the three baskets of knowledge.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:14 am

The Three Baskets of Knowledge were obtained for mankind by the god Tāne, known primarily as the god of the forests and all that dwells within them. To acquire the baskets of knowledge, Tāne had to ascend to the twelfth heaven, and there be ushered into the presence of the Supreme God, of Io-matua-kore himself, to make his request. The request was granted and hence the knowledge we now have in our possession and at our disposal. The three baskets of knowledge are usually called te kete tuauri (the basket of sacred knowledge of the world, beyond what we can perceive with our senses), te kete tuatea (the basket of ancestral knowledge of and evil, including war) and te kete aronui (basket of knowledge of love, peace, humanities, arts and rituals which benefit the Earth and all living things).

By Michelle Estall

There are many interpretations of what each basket stands for. Another popular one is to perceive them as the knowledge of the mind, the heart (body) and the soul.

• Information