Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Re: The Maori People

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:07 am

This has been such a delicious conversation above, I enjoyed every little entry and confession! :72:

And I just adore this:

Hugs and kisses... almost entirely reserved for family only these days, and often not even for the family... I just wonder how starved we all are for physical contact by now. I feel almost in a vacuum bubble at times, like my body is never grounded. Does that make sense?

Dancing is amazing isn’t it? Someone said, between a man and a woman it can be like making love vertically. Totally true. Plenty of good examples above! :72: Which is why it feels uncomfortable with someone you don’t want to make love to. :57: Except, when you go bonkers silly with friends and deliberately suppress anything sexual and you just dance like a child, bouncing around, being ridiculously free and light. Or the good old circle and line dances, those fun ceilidhs our Moonchime has mentioned, now that’s just about smiling and laughing and connecting with complete strangers and having fun. How I miss those!
And then of course there is always the kitchen as a dance floor for any fun loving cook. A little twirl here a little shake there between the pots and pans. Right?

Now I’m also reminded of a dance of “the near touch” that again illustrates the “making love vertically” definition, even when the dance is most understated. Oh this is sweet nostalgia:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:21 am

I find this explanation so beautiful:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:18 am

This is a simplified creation story with beautiful illustration:

Moonchime

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 am

That creation story video is simply beautiful. I've heard and read the story a few times before, and posted the sculpture of the parents bound together, but never seen it illustrated in this way. It is utterly charming and so skillful.
I love myths and legends but have struggled with some of the Maori ones - maybe it's the difficulty of the names. Anyway I feel like I've got a better grip of this one now. Thank you. :x
Watching the artist at work reminded me of playing with those magnetic/iron filing toys that could buy where you made your own pictures with a magnet - I loved doing that.

I do agree that the explanation of the Hongi the woman gives is really powerful and full of wonderful images - who'd have thought that your nose and eyebrows could represent so much. The tree canopy and the trunk are also represented in their buildings and are embedded in their culture. Great additions Dee.

• Information