Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Angels

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:27 am

A beautiful discovery, Mz DF! :x

I love the first painting you've posted especially. Quoting further from the article you've linked:

"He uses metal leaf, chemically-induced patinas, oil, and other mixed media to evoke the moody tones of his enigmatic subjects."

It's been great to see the close-ups in the YT clip you've posted. I particularly love the use of gold and sense of burning light in this painting:

Just wonderful.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:51 am

The Jane Siberry song describes the essence of our relationship to these celestial beings so beautifully...

Calling all angels, calling all angels
Walk me through this one, don't leave me alone
Calling all angels, calling all angels
We're tryin', we're hopin', we're hurtin', we're lovin'
We're cryin', we're callin' 'cause we're not sure how this goes

Moonchime

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am

Wow what a beautiful thread - brilliantly done Dee and subsequent contributors - so much to take in.

I do think the subject matter will produce a great deal as it has inspired so much and continues to do so. Indeed our lovely Sulamith was quite obsessed with them - what a different kind of angel she portrayed to Stephen Daluz.

DF Daluz's work is indeed stunning visually as well as thought provoking. Thank you so much for finding him. :08:

The first angel posted I find almost unbearably sad and the last one before Dee's (would nos. help reference I wonder?) is a very sensual angel, while at the same time being very reminiscent in pose of the crucifixion; including the angle of the head dejectedly gazing down.

I love his use of gold to create patterns of light and find that the most fascinating aspect of his work.

Dee I too love the wings on the angel you posted and his gold work brings to mind Byzantine art and classic religious icons.
His work certainly burns bright and I particularly like some of his more abstract pictures - but they're not angels.

Sentinel

Love this one.

Moonchime

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:52 am

Lori wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:07 am

Calling all angels.

Oh, and every day you gaze upon the sunset with such love and intensity
Why?
It's ah, it's almost as if you could only crack the code then you'd finally understand
What this all means
Oh, but if you could, do you think you would trade in all
All the pain and suffering?
Oh, but then you'd miss the beauty of the light upon this earth
And the, and the sweetness of the leaving

I find those lines so poignant.

Thank you Lori.

Moonchime

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:41 am

Sculptures of the Angel of Death on funeral gondolas in Venice.

From www.gameforgoodchristians.com:
Death Angels in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
There is no “Angel of Death” in the Bible. Not really.

There are multiple angels/messengers (מַלְאָךְ - ma’lak) in the Hebrew Bible who take lives, but none of them are ever called “THE angel of death." Those angels have been mostly conflated into one being through Western literature and pop culture. These include:

The angel at Passover, the Destroyer (הַמַּשְׁחִית - masḥit), famous for killing the first-born in Egypt (c.f. Exodus 12) [We've written about this figure before]
The Adversary (הַשָּׂטָן - has-satan) in Job's story, who kills his family, as well as a stupid amount of his servants and animals, and
The ever-present "angel of the Lord," who periodically is called to slaughter by the hundreds
(c.f. 2 Kings 19:35 and 2 Samuel 24:15-17).
From Wiki:
The destroying angel or angel of death in the Hebrew Bible is an entity sent out by Yahweh on several occasions to kill enemies of the Israelites. In 2 Samuel 24:15, he kills the inhabitants of Jerusalem. In I Chronicles 21:15, the same "angel of the Lord" is seen by David to stand "between the earth and the heaven, with a drawn sword in his hand stretched out against Jerusalem." Later, in II Kings 19:35, the angel kills 185,000 men of Sennacherib's Assyrian army, thereby saving Hezekiah's Jerusalem.

DawnFae

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:03 pm

DawnFae

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Angel Paintings by Breten Bryden (also the Angel Painting in the previous post)

https://www.brydenart.com/angels

DawnFae

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:10 pm

DawnFae

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 pm

The Angel of the Birds (1910) by Czech painter František Dvořák

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franti%C5 ... _(painter)

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:19 pm

It is fascinating how wide ranging the concept of an angel is... just looking at the last few entries here. From The Destroyer to the delicate feminine creatures DF has just posted!

I love the angel sculptures on the Venetian funeral gondolas.

Yet, my image of an angel is closest to S. DaLuz's, I think...

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:50 pm

And of course there are Sulamith's angels:

I don't remember seeing this one before?

Moonchime

Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:34 am

No I don't remember seeing that picture either Dee.

I always feel Sulamith's angels are protective and have a role. I always like her angels and indeed I like the angels DF has posted although the glittery ones make me think of fairies rather than angels.

However DF I do love the Angel of the Birds - there is such a warmth and light about it; a gentleness that permeates the whole picture.

Daluz's light is like burning flame; it sears through the picture with a penetrating force that is full of power.

• Information