Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Little House Elf Tips

NurseRatched

Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:05 am

Now that we are barreling into autumn, I'm in need of a cozy sanctuary within my house. Do any of you have such a place in your homes, and what are some key elements to your nest? Thank you! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:18 am

Oh, this sounds like a nice project, NR!

My cosy corner is on the couch, with a reading light facing to the ceiling, soft blanket, cushions, little candles on the coffee table with a string of lights weaving between them, complete with iPad, portable speaker, chocolate, nuts and cup of tea within reach. Dress code is pyjamas and my daughter's cosy dressing gown. Pure. Heaven.

Only downside is husband watching political debate programmes on tv from same cosy nest I don't mind sharing otherwise. Then I usually opt to migrate to my bed.

Now a third possibility is given, to you Mz K as well, I believe: customising absentee children's bedrooms with a few portable accessories. :57:

NurseRatched

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:08 am

:x Excellent suggestions! I can just picture your nest. And I never would have thought to include chocolate---💥---a stroke of genius. I have just the spot in mind-it's going to be a quick project😘👍🏼

Moonchime

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 am

Yes Mz Dee has some great cosy atmosphere going on in her house. I think it's all in the lighting - I just love candles and soft light.
You made me think of Hygge:

From wiki:
Hygge (/ˈhjuːɡə/ HEW-gə or /ˈhuːɡə/ HOO-gə) is a Danish and Norwegian word for a mood of coziness and comfortable conviviality with feelings of wellness and contentment. As a cultural category with its sets of associated practices hygge has more or less the same meanings in Danish and Norwegian, but the notion is more central in Denmark than Norway.[1] The emphasis on hygge as a part of Danish culture is a recent phenomenon, dating to the late 20th century.
The word hygge comes from a Danish word meaning "to give courage, comfort, joy".[2] Hygge stems from hyggja which means to think in Old Norse.[2] Hygge is built from the Old Norse word hugr which later became the hug which means the soul, mind, consciousness.[3] In Swedish Hygge is a harvested forest area.

But it is also speculated that hygge might originate from the word hug. Hug comes from the 1560s word hugge, which means "to embrace".

I don't know whether the Hygge craze has reached the States but here it became a very trendy thing. The truth is if you live in Scandinavia you really do need to create some more light somehow.
I am really noticing the nights drawing in - having had nearly 17 hours of daylight in June it's all rapidly disappearing before I have the candles ready!!!!

NurseRatched

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:52 pm

Yes, MC, Hygge has hit the States! I love the concept, and as you say, more light in winter is fairly crucial to wellbeing. Candles, twinkle lights & blankets are all on the menu :72: . I've also been fantasizing about one of those cute little electric fireplaces for this room; a fireplace is just so cheery and welcoming.
Image I prefer wood-burning, but that is not a possibility!

I guess once you've recovered from your stint as a wedding assistant, it's time to haul out the candles & blankets....

Moonchime

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 am

You're so right NR - fireplaces are cheery - I do like the look of the one you have posted.
We do have a multi-fuel burning stove but there's no doubt that it is an effort - raking, cleaning, etc. etc. and it is at its most efficient when you don't open the doors, which means that you can't see the flames unless of course you keep cleaning the dratted glass - which we don't. At weekends and if people are round then we open the doors and use logs!!

• Information