Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

This Crazy Wonderful World

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:54 pm

DawnFae wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:42 pm
I found this beauty:

Lençóis Maranhenses National Park in Brazil

https://www.latam.com/vamos/en_au/artic ... ranhenses/
What a strange surreal place! Somewhat unsettling without any vegetation, don’t you think?

Moonchime

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:09 am

Very striking!!!

I have to say I find any natural place without vegetation or sign of life unsettling - it just makes me feel rather insignificant in the scheme of the universe; man being such a small and recent part of a planet so very much older; in existence long before us and long after us; all our tears and joys and endeavours so much dust in the wind!!

The water looked quite promising to me - it had some sort of weed/plant in it so something must live down there.

I just don't know how they all resisted the temptation to toboggan down the big dune - although perhaps the thought of climbing up was off-putting. :57: :72:

DawnFae

Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 am

The water has fish and water plants. There is fauna too. Other vegetation is temporary because there is a dry period. When the rain (seasonal moonsoons) comes back the whole cycle repeats itself.

DawnFae

Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:57 am

The great swim
Five male cheetahs strain against the current of the raging Talek River in Kenya's Maasai Mara National Reserve.

A period of relentless, unseasonable rain at the end of 2019 caused the worst flooding local elders had ever known. Cheetahs are usually strong swimmers, but the unusually turbulent water of the flooded river posed a serious threat.

Dilini spent hours watching nervously from the opposite bank as the coalition, led by the lead male, searched for a suitable place to cross. Calmer stretches of water were likely to conceal lurking crocodiles while the more rapid parts could drag the cheetahs downstream with ease.

'Suddenly, the leader jumped in,' Dilini says, followed loyally by the other four. The strong torrents and underwater currents dragged the cheetahs almost 100 metres downstream.

Eventually, and to Dilini's relief, all five cheetahs made it safely to the other side.

This group is known as the Tano Bora, or 'magnificent five' by the Massai. It is rare to see a coalition as large as this, as male cheetahs are usually solitary or work in pairs, so this group have earned themselves fame on the world stage.

As a changing climate impacts weather patterns worldwide, this unique pack of cheetahs is likely to face more of these perilous situations.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/wpy/gallery/2021-the-great-swim

DawnFae

Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Beautiful Autumn Foliage

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Oh that’s gorgeous. Just wanna walk right into those pictures! :035:

DawnFae

Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:19 am

Dee wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:22 pm
Oh that’s gorgeous. Just wanna walk right into those pictures! :035:
Yeah! Me too! :x :x :x
I just love it in the Fall! I was hiking on the weekend and the foliage looked similar to these gorgeous pics. Just beautiful and somehow inspiring because it looks like a living painting from a divine artist!

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:00 pm

Just stunning! I love fall and spring. Light sweater weather. What a beautiful show each year!

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:27 pm

An inspirational lady lost this week but will remain. Fly Jane...

https://www.facebook.com/NightbirdeMusi ... 3028462000

"But here's the thing, you don't... just because you're sad or grieving doesn't mean that you're not grateful, and it doesn't mean you're not hopeful.

It doesn't mean that you still are fighting for your life, that you still don't have it in you to keep going.

But sadness and grief and mourning, and lamenting, and crying and screaming and being angry: These are ways that we honour what was lost.

These are ways that we communicate it to the world.

I heard a quote that says sadness is the souls way of saying, "This mattered."

And I think grieving and feeling through all the emotions that you feel, the sadness and the grief and the injustice and the anger and the loss and the bargaining -- I think it's holy work.

And it's scary to go down those dark roads, but you know what, like, those feelings don't leave you.

You got to get to feel it.

You can't fake the rest of your life like nothing bad happened to just sing and whistle a happy tune all day.

It's not what it is to be human.

So everybody who might be getting a dose of this whole toxic positivity -- just be happy, be happy, be happy -- don't do that.

You don't have to do that.

And you don't have to feel guilty for being sad.

It's something I've struggled with a lot.

Because I used to believe that if I was sad, it meant that I wasn't fighting hard enough or I was not grateful enough and that's not true.

Be sad and be grateful. And look at the twinkly lights and feel your feelings and it's all real -- the joy and the pain -- is all real, and you don't have to pick one or the other like, "It's beautiful, or, life is garbage."

It's kind of both sometimes.

Love you guys. Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk from Bed Talk."

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:02 pm

Oh, that’s so sad. Thanks for posting, Lori, and thanks for introducing her to us a while ago the first place. There’s a lot of wisdom in what she says, her parting words about embracing sadness, as much as joy, and gratitude. Make room for it all. It certainly makes me sad that such a lovely young woman has had her life cut so short, but also grateful for her brief but graceful existence in our world.

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:30 pm

Prayers for the Ukrainian people and the world at large. There is no knight in shining armor on the way...

War is a mother's cry.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:01 pm

It’s a disaster.
Like back in the Great War, civilians, young lads, women are preparing to take up arms to defend their homeland. All this bloodshed coming - it’s already happening - it’s devastating.

• Information