Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Guidance From The Wise Ones

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:59 am

Moonchime

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:59 am

:08: :x

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:56 am

Thinking about these COVID times and the myriad of effects its fingers have fashioned. The below is a poignant statement and food for thought. I might take umbrage with the word "selfishness" as I know many who ultimately reject love do so because of deep hurt.

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
― C.S. Lewis

Iris

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:34 pm

Lori wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:56 am
Thinking about these COVID times and the myriad of effects its fingers have fashioned. The below is a poignant statement and food for thought. I might take umbrage with the word "selfishness" as I know many who ultimately reject love do so because of deep hurt.

“To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
― C.S. Lewis
Wow, that is powerful. Feel like I've been punched in the chest and winded. So much to say, think and feel about this but not enough clarity to express it.

I very much agree with you that those who have been deeply hurt, damaged or abused can appear to reject love. But can they truly do so? Or does love somehow penetrate even the densest casket? Or is it that they have misunderstood what tried to pass itself off as love? Is the fact that we have feelings at all, even if only seemingly negative ones at times, an indication that we can love?

Reminds me of a poem-ish/piece of prose I scribbled earlier this year called (couldn't decide) The "L" Word or Love is a Four-Letter Word. Maybe I'll be brave enough to share it one day.

Thank you so much for inducing thought provocation, Mz Lori
:x

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:08 pm

I'm hoping for the masses that our beings are permeable when it comes to love, regardless of any attempt to block it. That speaks of hope. Interesting contemplation. Love takes so many forms, doesn't it?

I remember once I was blue and envisioned being alone and starting anew. What would the world look like? How alone would I be? I walked down to a lake with some picnic shelters. Beautiful day with a gentle breeze - sparkling water. I sat on a bench for quite some time just pondering. Three women from a nearby picnic shelter came up to me and invited me to join their family reunion meal. There were about 30 people eating, reveling, and laughing. Great family. I thanked them and did not take them up on the invite, but it was interesting. There would be opportunity and love in the world even if completely "alone". That was cathartic and really a wonderful reminder at such an opportune moment.

"Or is it that they have misunderstood what tried to pass itself off as love? Is the fact that we have feelings at all, even if only seemingly negative ones at times, an indication that we can love?"

So insightful. Love has many imposters and for those who've not had the real deal it is hard to identify. Then again, love means different things to different people. We are a complicated beast.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:55 am

It’s so much easier to be a cat than a human, isn’t it? It always makes me smile when our cat comes up to us, head nudging our hands, demanding to be stroked and loved. Crying until taken into a lap. Wanting to be held and cuddled. Needing the body warmth like she needs food and water. Very simple but straightforward manifestations of needing love and affection.

Some people find it very hard to express this need or to deliver it to those who need it. Like Lori says, being a human is immensely complicated.

Thank you for sharing this heart warming story, Lori. It’s so life affirming.

Mz Iris, I think your poem would be just about perfect here! Please share?

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:48 am

Yes, the poem. I second that emotion!

:08:

Iris

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:47 pm

Am feeling rather vulnerable with this one so have changed it a little. Mz Dee and Mz Moonchime viewed the original. Also, this was before I got to trying to write "real" poems, so it's prose-ish. No form to this at all, I'm afraid. Enough excuses??? :oops:

The “L” Word (or, Love is a 4-Letter Word)

Overflowing with secrets and lies, it betrays itself by the flippancy with which it is scattered into the vernacular.

Like the child-snatcher, it drew her in.
Mesmerised by its promises, her heart was enticed to trust, soon to be faced by fickleness.

Left for spiritual-dead, attacked and abused by the viperous four-letter-word.
Lucid memories of pain and torment which scarred her tender spirit.

She runs her fingers and mind across the deep imprints of cutting words, painful actions and unheard yearning.
All in the name of the unutterable monosyllabic idiom.

Hatches battened.
Mantle draped in protection.
The “L” word cannot pierce through.

Eons pass.
The mantle is delicately lifted.
Locks are eased.
And the deep, belly-sobbing agony is unveiled.

Ancient beliefs blur new vision and understanding.
Bemused.
Perplexed.

Glimpses of unfamiliar meaning catch her unaware, barren tears scrape through her soul with searing pain as she awakens to what life might be.

She is emotionally petrified; agitated in her desperation to protect her vulnerability, yet longing to taste the sweetness of her new perception.

She wants to say the word! She wants to feel the word! She wants to live, breathe and ooze the word!

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:15 pm

Iris wrote:
Am feeling rather vulnerable with this one so have changed it a little. Mz Dee and Mz Moonchime viewed the original. Also, this was before I got to trying to write "real" poems, so it's prose-ish. No form to this at all, I'm afraid. Enough excuses??? :oops:

Thank you so very much for sharing this intense and personal piece. I understand the vulnerability factor and I've given pause to that very emotion while sharing myself. I'm very glad you did. It is an eloquently-written piece. There are no limits or boxes to outpouring. This is one of my favorite forms of expression.

What you are weaving here is as deeply blue and textured as the font you chose. I think I see and feel it all clearly. My heart breaks for the writer, understanding she pens about brutality under the guise of love, knowing so many others can relate to this redefining of something so tender and affirming into perhaps something conniving and confusing - even evil. Knowing it can decimate self-worth and cloud perception going forward in this life.

Overflowing with secrets and lies, it betrays itself by the flippancy with which it is scattered into the vernacular.

Because of the totality of the piece and really the "hush" it leaves over me having read it, I will not go line by line. But this opening is so telling and so smart, I knew we were in for an emotional ride.

Mesmerised by its promises, her heart was enticed to trust, soon to be faced by fickleness.

The "child-snatcher" and "left for spiritual-dead" hit me hard - it feels so nearly emotionally fatal for this tender reed. Love or the snake behind the guise of love. Such a pure, apt, and sad depiction.

She runs her fingers and mind across the deep imprints of cutting words, painful actions and unheard yearning.

Hatches battened.

Of course this armor and shield must take form so this sword, the "L" word, cannot damage unchecked. And then your astute question forms in my mind about blocking out love, "...But can they truly do so? Or does love somehow penetrate even the densest casket? Or is it that they have misunderstood what tried to pass itself off as love?"

Eons pass.
Locks are eased.

Bemused.
Perplexed.

Awareness through new eyes perhaps with the understanding we earn as years go on and the tenderness and empathy we feel for our "past selves". Yet, growth is difficult and silencing old voices hard as they nearly hard-wire us.

Glimpses of unfamiliar meaning catch her unaware, barren tears scrape through her soul with searing pain as she awakens to what life might be.

She is emotionally petrified; agitated in her desperation to protect her vulnerability, yet longing to taste the sweetness of her new perception.

She wants to say the word! She wants to feel the word! She wants to live, breathe and ooze the word!
I love the awakening - the delicious erasing of that illusive line between a toe in the water and diving in. Part of me aches for her and wants still to protect her. This speaks of so many lessons learned and demons quelled. (We know the nature of these things to be an ongoing vital and worthwhile effort.)

The piece is sad but ultimately indomitable in spirit. Beautifully done. Thank you for opening the door to this velvet place and allowing us in.

Iris

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:23 am

Dee wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:55 am
It’s so much easier to be a cat than a human, isn’t it? It always makes me smile when our cat comes up to us, head nudging our hands, demanding to be stroked and loved. Crying until taken into a lap. Wanting to be held and cuddled. Needing the body warmth like she needs food and water. Very simple but straightforward manifestations of needing love and affection.

These are, surely, basic human needs too? Certainly, babes can't healthily survive without them. Yet as adults, even if we haven't faced rejection or major damage, we are often coy and find it tricky to express these basic human needs. Maybe we should start a "Be Like Cats" movement! :57:

Some people find it very hard to express this need or to deliver it to those who need it. Like Lori says, being a human is immensely complicated.

Absolutely! I concur with Mz Lori on this. And so diverse.

Thank you for sharing this heart warming story, Lori. It’s so life affirming.

It is truly a comfort blanket of literary weaving that unravels in your story, Mz Lori. Thank you for sharing.

Mz Iris, I think your poem would be just about perfect here! Please share?

Iris

Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:35 am

Lori wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:15 pm
Iris wrote:

Thank you so very much for sharing this intense and personal piece. I understand the vulnerability factor and I've given pause to that very emotion while sharing myself. I'm very glad you did. It is an eloquently-written piece. There are no limits or boxes to outpouring. This is one of my favorite forms of expression.

Thank you for your validation, Mz Lori. It took more than my usual lack of courage to put this out there - an indication of my absolute trust in the beautiful souls that you sirens embody.

What you are weaving here is as deeply blue and textured as the font you chose. I think I see and feel it all clearly. My heart breaks for the writer, understanding she pens about brutality under the guise of love, knowing so many others can relate to this redefining of something so tender and affirming into perhaps something conniving and confusing - even evil. Knowing it can decimate self-worth and cloud perception going forward in this life.

Because of the totality of the piece and really the "hush" it leaves over me having read it, I will not go line by line. But this opening is so telling and so smart, I knew we were in for an emotional ride.

The "child-snatcher" and "left for spiritual-dead" hit me hard - it feels so nearly emotionally fatal for this tender reed. Love or the snake behind the guise of love. Such a pure, apt, and sad depiction.

Hatches battened.

Of course this armor and shield must take form so this sword, the "L" word, cannot damage unchecked. And then your astute question forms in my mind about blocking out love, "...But can they truly do so? Or does love somehow penetrate even the densest casket? Or is it that they have misunderstood what tried to pass itself off as love?"

Eons pass.
Locks are eased.

Bemused.
Perplexed.

Awareness through new eyes perhaps with the understanding we earn as years go on and the tenderness and empathy we feel for our "past selves". Yet, growth is difficult and silencing old voices hard as they nearly hard-wire us.

I love the awakening - the delicious erasing of that illusive line between a toe in the water and diving in. Part of me aches for her and wants still to protect her. This speaks of so many lessons learned and demons quelled. (We know the nature of these things to be an ongoing vital and worthwhile effort.)

The piece is sad but ultimately indomitable in spirit. Beautifully done. Thank you for opening the door to this velvet place and allowing us in.

Mz Lori, your response has touched me deeply. Your writing is so naturally poetic and emotive. You have sensed my intentions spot on and have voiced all the questions and, indeed, the quest that "she" has embarked upon. Your love, care and compassion shine through so luminously that it has brought some tears; good healing tears. Simply . . . thank you! :x

PS And I LOVE the tattoo!

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:01 am

No, thank you! You are a treasure. That you extended yourself and shared this amazing writing is really what it is all about.

:08: :x

• Information