Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Short Film #3 Sing

Dee
Site Admin

Sun May 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Sing (Hungarian: Mindenki, means "Everybody") is a 2016 Hungarian short film directed and written by Kristóf Deák. Set in 1991, it follows the story of a girl who moves to a new elementary school and becomes a member of the award-winning school choir.

In 2017, the film won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short Film at the 89th Academy Awards.

It's a brilliant little film based on a true story. It also gives you a little insight into my childhood. I hope you will enjoy it. Look forward to your impressions.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon May 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Thank you!!!! I need a film that serves the soul. May watch tonight if the world will stop turning.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 pm

’Sing’ is a beautiful little film. I was taken from the first frame with the lovingly shot story of these precious incredible budding children. It was fun to travel down memory lane with you, Dee, with the Hungarian school singing competitions and the sweet child-play throughout the film. To see it through your eyes made it all the more poignant.

It is a study in the sprouting human spirit. So sad at times, yet wholly uplifting with the ‘babes’ rising and showing the jaded adults where the ‘soul’ should float above the fray and solidly in a humane and loving space.

I adored this film immensely. Thanks, Mz. A!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm so happy to share this wonderful film with you, girls, on so many levels. You will now be able to picture my beginnings, singing in a school choir. I adored it, just like these children. Only that we truly had a really wonderful and inspiring choir leader, who wanted us all to sing. Dear Adél néni.

You will also understand my aversion to all choir competitions. Especially for children. But really, I just hate the whole idea. Singing in a choir should be about nothing else but music, love and fun. The force that creates an instant community. Everything that went down in this school choir was a travesty.

It is a study in the sprouting human spirit. So sad at times, yet wholly uplifting with the ‘babes’ rising and showing the jaded adults where the ‘soul’ should float above the fray and solidly in a humane and loving space.

Beautifully put, Mz S. From solidarity to a silent protest, a rebellion... it's such a powerful and inspiring story. A wonderful testament to how amazing children can be.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 am

I so agree with you regarding singing for the joy of it and the community it immediately creates. So many barriers are leapt over when people join in song. I think the song competition should best be left to the von Trapps...it did serve them well once upon a time.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 am

Ha! I guess!

Besides all the singing and choir stuff, what I absolutely love about this film is the depiction of a highly intelligent and effective protest against injustice. It's so clever and inspired.

It's amazing, how the ending could feel so cathartic, after a mere 20 minutes of buildup. Pretty masterful film making and acting from the girls.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:03 pm

Really a worthy watch! Subtle and beautifully done! I hope more of us can carve out some down time to enjoy. (This was lost in the count somehow so it is has been resurrected and is now flying its flag as one of the current three movies we are watching.)

:72: :x

Moonchime

Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:16 am

I completely forgot that I hadn't commented on this film - having watched it earlier in the summer - not wanting to go to Doris without having viewed it first!!! :57:

The truth is you girls have already expressed its charm most eloquently and I don't think there is much for me to add.
I loved it - and really rather enjoyed relying on subtitles. I must admit I didn't see the rebellion coming quite as it did - I thought they'd all sing rather than all remain silent - that really took some courage; there must have been some strong characters leading the group. Wonderful to find examples so young in battles against injustice - but of course it took quite a while for them to realise that quite so many of them had been told to keep quiet.
I for one would not have admitted that I was considered not good enough - not at that age I don't think. Of course once you find you're not alone it's different - you belong again -albeit to a different group.
At primary school I had a really good music teacher, although she had a temper when it didn't all come together but that never bothered me because we all just responded and everything turned out; there was no individual responsibility/blame.
Secondary school was different!!!!

Of course being competitive in performance/sport does beg certain questions doesn't it?
You have to know what you raison d'etre is and whether you exist to be the best or to bring joy to those partaking. I know primary school football teams are a case in point!! :72:

A lovely touching film Dee that shows how amazing human nature can be, whatever their age. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:12 am

I'm so happy you enjoyed the film, Moonchime. Obviously, I feel I'm on a mission to share this gem of a story and Hungarian film culture!

Competition is only joyous for the winners. The others? No matter how good they are at accepting being runner ups or not winning, it will come with at least a hint of disappointment. For some it will become a driving force to do better next time. But the whole concept: wanting to be the best, better than the rest... I don't know. It's not very pleasant.

There is something about a race that is a little more straightforward. The one who runs fastest wins. (But even that is a lot more complicated.)
A game competition: once the concept of game is fully understood by all, it should be fine, but losing in a game is often a tearful affair even for the toughest grownups. Still, humans seem to be naturally competitive and competitions are here to stay for ever more.

The worst ones are possibly the creative art competions, because they are so subjective to judge, and can have such detrimental effect on the future, if you're not considered "good enough" to get a prize.

Yet, competitions provide a framework and often an incentive for people to create, to polish, to strive for excellence. So, I accept, they're not all evil, but I still don't like them.

In this film, based on a true story, we can clearly see what happens when winning becomes the driving force behind an activity that should be all about sharing the joy of doing the activity.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:21 am

Yay! So glad to read your impression of the film, Mz. K! I didn't see the rebellion manifesting the way it did either. I loved the friendship depicted as it felt so true to real life. Often, we are shown interaction between females to be shallow or competitive. Here, I was able to enjoy that tapping into girlhood in a beautiful way. Were we not even more loyal as young girls in ways? (And I say this full well knowing we have all grown into loyal caring friends as adults.)

Regarding competition, it is a complicated living beast ~ particularly for children. Yet, it contains a lifeblood important for humanity and really is one of the reasons we have advanced in areas, eliminated suffering in areas, and why the cream has risen to the top to enjoy in areas. As with all things, it can be ugly and taken too far.

Still, asking someone to hide their light doesn't work either. Some people simply shine. It doesn't necessarily diminish those with lesser talents or skills in the process if one is confident and reveling in their abilities, even if limited, and like you all say is enjoying the path or process, not the competitive outcome. I love the solidarity shown in the film when competition and school politics were damaging and unfair.

These children were so tender and beautiful in their newness. The camera loves children. So much expressed through innocent eyes and smooth skin.

Love-love-love.

(Do elaborate about secondary school, Mz. Moonchime.) :72:

Moonchime

Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:24 am

Well to be fair the secondary school teacher that I had for most of my time taught us some lovely songs that I enjoyed and remember still - but although her love for music was still alive, her love of teaching was not. She only took us once a week and didn't know our names - or at least I don't recall her showing any interest - maybe she knew those who she told off but that's all.

For our first joint production with the local boy's school (The Mikado) she held auditions (for any part at all) for which you had to go on stage in front of everyone else and sing. I desperately wanted to take part but couldn't get any sound out when push came to shove - I was too nervous and just froze - so that was the end of my career in school productions. :57: :72:
Those feelings of humiliation take a long time to get rid of don't they?
Hope that wasn't too much information Lori!!
After that teacher we had a male teacher (short -lived) who was no match for convent girls!! :57:

As for what you've said about competition - I absolutely agree. Inclusion is vital,for so many things, especially for children,but competition also has its place.
My parents weren't sporty and we didn't watch much sport on telly when we were young. In fact it took me a while to understand what was expected of a team member in such games as netball; I was good at shooting but in centre court positions I had difficulty adopting a more aggressive attitude and not feeling I should let the other person have the ball!!!! :57: :57:

However as an adult I have come to appreciate the pleasures of supporting a team/individual and was really surprised at how much fun it could be. Having said that I don't really watch much!!! :57:
Of course talent shows are hugely popular - both musical (x factor) and otherwise, but often I feel they exploit vulnerable people and can become a freak show -so I don't tend to watch them.
There's a show called "Child Genius" which I have only seen snippets of but my sister swears it should be banned by the NSPCC and it does seem to bring the worst out in parents displaying an unhealthy need to believe they have the brainiest child.
Of course you're so right in saying that confidence is key to being able to take part in competition and not feel annihilated by failure. For most people there is a deep-seated feeling of not being good enough, and not winning touches that oh-so- sensitive spot.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:21 am

Oh, Moonchime, that was one heavy-handed audition at your secondary school, throwing people right into the shark-infested deep waters to swim or be eaten alive. I wonder why was there no in-between? Auditioning for being in the chorus? I'm sorry you have had that horrible experience. Lucky you're one tough little cookie.

I also find it adorable that you lack the capacity for aggressive play and were all about the team play even when you could have taken the shot yourself. That's so typically you again. :x

What you say about talent shows and especially that horror show Child Genius (what were people thinking?) - I'm in complete agreement.

It's a very fine line parents need to navigate when they have a child with exceptional talents. Keeping them grounded, modest, and giving them a chance for a proper childhood, as well as nurturing that talent and encouraging their child to follow their dreams. I don't think there is a formula that would work for all, and I appreciate that it must be extremely hard to get it right for the parents. It's devastating when you feel a child being pushed too far and the parents lose sight of the most important things. An extraordinary talent manifesting too soon can be a curse as much as a blessing.

• Information