Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Suggestions (Movie Choices)

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

I wonder if we could group three films together about grieving. After A Ghost Story, perhaps we could watch "Truly, Madly, Deeply" (1990) and then "Blue" from the Three Colors Trilogy? There are interesting common themes and they also have very different genres and approaches.
We could also break them up by inserting other films in between if you think it's too much in a bundle. What do you think, ladies?

DawnFae

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 am

Dee wrote:
I wonder if we could group three films together about grieving. After A Ghost Story, perhaps we could watch "Truly, Madly, Deeply" (1990) and then "Blue" from the Three Colors Trilogy? There are interesting common themes and they also have very different genres and approaches.
We could also break them up by inserting other films in between if you think it's too much in a bundle. What do you think, ladies?
I am in with the idea. These movies belong together as stories about love, loss, grief and the immortality of love but we could also watch something different in between whatever you guys prefer :x !

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am

So excited! "On Body and Soul" has just been nominated for Best Foreign Language Film at the Oscars! :035:

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:32 am

NR's choice The Shape Of Water has received 13 nominations.

Sally Hawkins for best actress... She is a truly amazing actress. She would deserve an Oscar for Maudie as well!

DawnFae

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:29 pm

I would love to watch this movie. It's got great reviews :72: !

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:48 pm

It really is a wonderful film, you'll see, DF.

I can't wait to see what you girls will make of it.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:09 pm

So what's next, Ladies? Maudie? Far From The Madding Crowd? The Shape Of Water?

And when? How about 9 February?

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:59 am

As much as I love to swim in sorrow, loss, etc., let's do something next that isn't heart wrenching. Is that possible among the choices above?

NurseRatched

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:42 pm

:x That's just fine with me; whatever you guys would like is peachy. We will get to "Blue" eventually!😘

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:29 pm

Dee wrote:
Sry, Dee & NC - I forgot the plan above. I am totally up for "Blue". Then perhaps something lighter off the loss topic after perhaps would be great!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:13 am

Ok, let's choose then from these five:

Elisa is a mute, isolated woman who works as a cleaning lady in a hidden, high-security government laboratory in 1962 Baltimore. Her life changes forever when she discovers the lab's classified secret -- a mysterious, scaled creature from South America that lives in a water tank.

I highly recommend you go into this film without watching a trailer. It's such a lovely surprise if you don't know anything. (Personally, I never watch trailers, because very annoyingly they give so much away.)

Julie (Juliette Binoche) is haunted by her grief after living through a tragic auto wreck that claimed the life of her composer husband and young daughter.

This film is a first in a trilogy of three independent movies. (Blue, White, Red) .We should watch them all.

A headstrong Victorian beauty (Carey Mulligan) has her choice of three different suitors: a sheep farmer (Matthias Schoenaerts), a dashing soldier (Tom Sturridge) and a prosperous, older bachelor (Michael Sheen).

A biographical film directed by Aisling Walsh and starring Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke. A co-production of Ireland and Canada, the film is about the life of folk artist Maud Lewis, who painted in Nova Scotia.

We need to establish an order, Ladies. I am happy with whatever you decide. What shall we watch next Friday?

DawnFae

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Thank you for posting the movies Dee!
It looks like a beautiful art exhibition :x !

I am inclined towards "the Shape of Water". I heard so many good things about the story but I am happy with any one of these movies.

• Information