Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #21 Frida

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Following our explorations of Frida Kahlo's art in Lori's thread, it seems rather topical to watch this film, as we are all fascinated by Frida's life and personality, and her love story with Diego. The film (2002) will no doubt give us more insight into Frida Kahlo's culture and influences, and provide more guidance to understanding her art.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:55 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:31 am

SPOILER FREE REVIEW:

Last night I felt an irresistible urge to watch the film, convinced my husband to join me too. (Rented on Amazon.) He got into the film knowing nothing about Frida or her paintings. We both loved the film.

Truly, everything you could hope for: an explosion of colour, fabulous music, a door opening to Mexico in the first half of the last century. An insight into the culture, the political climate, the hedonism of the artists. The actress playing Frida is fabulous at the role, portraying her playfulness, passion, powers of seduction and experiences of the hell of pain and sorrow all so beautifully.

The love story was engaging and heartbreaking.

Perhaps I would have liked to see Frida paint more in the movie, but what we did get, was fabulous. The paintings literally came alive in the real life context, it was done in such a clever and exciting way. I feel I can relate to the paintings much more now, and would love to see them in real life.

One amazing woman, Frida Kahlo.

I can only recommend the film, Ladies.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Yay! I look forward to seeing the film - particularly now that I've seen an exhibit in person and have explored her a tiny bit!

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:08 pm

I very much enjoyed the film. Salma Hayek was divine in the role - particularly as an adult. The depiction of Mexico during that time was an education, albeit from this particular perspective. The colors...the smells and sounds really emanated through the screen and into the room. I lost myself after the first half hour or so. Ashley Judd (who in my humble opinion is bat-shit crazy...personal good sources, PICs) was incredible. I fell a little in love with her intoxicating character.

This Frida Kahlo was quite an amazing woman, it seems, with a heart of gold, quick tongue, and boundless ability to love. The Diego relationship was odd, painful, delightful, quirky...and I do understand it a bit more now. We are limited creatures as we do our best flying through our time on this earth. We hurt those we love. Diego was incredibly flawed, but what they had was real.

I agree that it would have been nice to have more painting moments in the movie. It was such a core function of her very being. I also understand more fully now the context and really DNA in the paint poured with purpose onto her canvases. She surmounted so much in her life. I am attaching Frida quotes to the bottom of this post.

I have to say I cried at the ending. The burning bed...the beatific smile on Frida’s face as her soul flew from the earth. Then end quote. “I hope the exit is joyful. And I hope never to return.” It must have been just that for her...or I wish that it was.

*Please do not watch this unless you’ve watched the entire movie. It would not have the same impact.

Spoiler:
I really did love the film. It touched me, saddened, and inspired me, and expanded my horizons like these wonderful efforts seem to do. Not a perfect film by any means, but a noble effort.

Rest in Glorious Peace, Frida. I hope it is colorful where you are...

https://www.goalcast.com/2017/11/28/17- ... lo-quotes/

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:00 pm

She seems so beatiful, engaging and enigmatic in these footages you've posted, Lori. And her affection, adoration even, towards Diego is so palpable. Such a fascinating woman and artist. I might just have to rewatch this film...

• Information