Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #19 Let Me In

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:01 pm

Let Me In is a 2010 American-British romantic horror film written and directed by Matt Reeves. It is a remake of the 2008 Swedish film Let the Right One In. The film tells the story of a bullied 12-year-old boy who develops a friendship with a female child vampire in Los Alamos, New Mexico in the early 1980s.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon May 13, 2019 4:38 pm

I've seen this and it is very well done. I will watch again!

NurseRatched

Mon May 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Really, such a well-done remake of "Let the Right One In"! The child actors are superb; there are some intense scenes (it has some severe underlying bullying that is so hard to watch). But the relationships are tender between the lead characters, Owen and Abby. When Abby is revealed for her true nature, it's absolutely terrifying! I've watched it a couple times over the years, but will try to see it again.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Watching this film this week for a refresher as I have seen it twice already. Extremely well done. I will report back. :)

UPDATE: Having trouble finding where to watch at this point. Workin' on it, babes...Okay, found it on itunes.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 am

Did "this week" really turn into nearly a year? Good grief. I did rent it months ago and ran out of time, then it disappeared. Now, it is back and available for rent so I was able to watch. I've now seen this movie three times, I do believe! I saw the original too, but don't quite remember it.

Thanks DF! This film is so very well done. The unfolding of the story is perfectly-timed and the child actors are exquisite in their roles. The subject matter was hard to watch on a lot of levels and the film is quite violent, but sprigs of humanity do bloom.

I kept looking for some qualifications in the selection process of victims, but there really were none. The hunger was insatiable and the moment opportunistic.

I felt so bad for Hakan doing due diligence in trying to feed Abby and it hurt to know that sweet Owen would follow in his footsteps and eventually most likely meet a sad ending with all manners of horror in-between. The things we do for love, huh?

So, within these constructs of horror resides the friendship thread between two outcasts. The interactions were spot on with these two. We are left to ponder if this somewhat false savior (Abby) can be anything but a sad choice for Owen, whose only lifeline in his parents is shaky at best with their pending divorce, distractions, and depression. We are left with a false hope for this tender sprout of a guy - that he has finally found his niche and "safe place". Yet, he certainly has not.

The character of Abby is a deep enigma. Her shell - that melancholy woman-child she has become while wrapped in the visage of a vampire, elicits sympathy as she seems to try to spare Owen the burden of her "friendship". Yet, she didn't try very hard, did she, in the scheme of things? How long has she been 12 years old? Did they illuminate us? Theoretically, she is quite old in actual years on earth and we can assume she is a master manipulator. Yet, perhaps she has retained the trappings of her 12 year old self and has not developed certain mental growth. I highly doubt it. The last scene on the train provides little info on the way forward. Will Owen just be another caretaker for decades, mastering murder and blood drainage for his friend? Will Abby change him into a vampire like what happened with her ill-fated neighbor woman? (Yet another horrifying and stunning scene with the fire from daylight consuming both vampette and nurse.)

This film is a layered quandary of how we perceive the characters motivations and abilities. Generally, it is very, very sad all around. This is a very masterful movie.

:x :x :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm

A very engaging and in equal measures rather unsettling movie. Have just seen it for the first time, so I think I need to digest it a little before I can put my thoughts into coherent words!

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:48 am

Thanks for the recommendation, DF, and your review, Lori.

So I had a few days to mull it over. Such a sad film, really almost hopeless.

Like you said, Lori, even if we were shown some tenderness and camaraderie between the children, even if that is likely to stay for a while between them and offer some comfort to both moving forward, their lives will still be a nightmare. Abbie's 'life' is almost entirely about her constant craving for blood. We could see how she could control it to a certain extent, as in she didn't hurt Owen. So she has some choice, some humanity left in her. We also saw her showing affection to Owen, as well as her old guardian. These acts weren't all about grooming or manipulation, I don't think. In fact the duality of Abbie's motivation to connect to Owen was one of the most fascinating parts of the film. Yes, she needed another companion, and yes, she needed to groom him and train him up for the challenge. But she is partly still a child frozen in time, and echoes of her humanity were longing for play, a friend, and some fun, some normal childhood living she's missed out on. It was impossible not to feel some sympathy for her.

Yet, she's a monster, and she's killed good people, even some who were trying to help her. And she's going to ruin Owen's life by making him commit horrendous murders for her for he rest of his life. I don't think the plan was to turn Owen into a vampire. It seemed it was very much going in the same direction as her relationship with the previous carer, judging by the photographs of them together when he was a child.

Owen's situation was heartbreaking. So damaged already, at the beginning of the film. A sensitive, sad little boy, victim of his parents' divorce, severely bullied in school, no one to turn to for help and comfort. Drifting towards doing the "wrong" things: prepraring for revenge with a knife, stealing from his mother, lying to her, cutting someone's ear open (even if it was self defence), rejoicing in his bully getting bullied (even if he deserved it) then helping to cover up murder, running away from home, most likely starting a new life as a serial murderer. Owen sensed he was on borderline spilling into a life of evil, his phone call to his father was devastating. With his parents unable to be there for their son, Owen had no one but Abbie, and he chose evil because at least she truly noticed him and appeared to care for him. To the extent that she sensed his life was in mortal danger and came back to rescue him. This act sealed the deal between Abbie and Owen: he was now forever in her debt, but probably laced with a sense of true gratitude and trust.

I found the lack of adult intervention in the nightmare world of the children bullying one another horrendous. Not even Owen was excluded or severely punished for cutting a boy's ear in half. No proper investigation. I know these days in the Western world much is done to prevent bullying in schools, but still there's a lot of hurt, especially psychological, that will not be properly dealt with. And in some parts of the world I'm sure bullying goes way worse than this.

But putting bullying aside, the gutwrenching solitude of Owen is something that will stay with me from this film. To be so desperate for some affection and connection that he chose to be with a vampire to get it... as you've put it Lori, the things we do for love...

Put in a supernatural setting, this film was picturing some dark pitfalls of humanity.

DawnFae

Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:28 pm

Great reviews Ladies, thank you :x !
Yes, it was a sad, sad story about despair and loneliness. Owen went to such lengths just to get some love and warmth in return.
Owen would do anything for Abi now and what a nightmare!
He will probably end up like her old familiar, old and desperate to end his miserable life as a serial killer.
Is it worth it? Will he stay with her until he ends up like her old familiar? Sooner or later it will probably come to that inevitable, sad end for Owen and Abi will probably find a new boy to start a new relationship with.

I will have to rewatch the movie and will come back for a deeper "review".
I was sad and I am still sad although I understand them both to a certain extent. They found something beautiful to share for how long it will last.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:53 am

Yes, this film did not leave a single warm fuzzy feeling with exception of the art of its construction. They bullying was horrific and the adults AWOL. The phone call broke my heart, too, Dee. Still does...

Don't know why I said the girl character was "Eli". (I corrected.) Oh, I know. She looks a lot like my niece. Very weird.

:57: :57: :57:

• Information