Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #16 Kedi

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Kedi

Hundreds of thousands of Turkish cats roam the metropolis of Istanbul freely. For thousands of years they’ve wandered in and out of people’s lives, becoming an essential part of the communities that make the city so rich. Claiming no owners, the cats of Istanbul live between two worlds, neither wild nor tame –and they bring joy and purpose to those people they choose to adopt. In Istanbul, cats are the mirrors to the people, allowing them to reflect on their lives in ways nothing else could.

Produced by Ceyda Torun and Charlie Wuppermann
Directed by Ceyda
Torun

Visit the official website:

https://www.kedifilm.com/

(Available to view on Amazon Prime, YouTube, and Google Play)

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:26 am

NurseRatched wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:55 pm
:57: My friend Ellen was just telling me about this movie!!!!😻
Dee wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:33 am
Looks fab, Lori. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

Sweet and interesting film...thus far. I had to step away and when I got back around to it, the time frame had run out and I need to rent again. Gets my dander up. Makes my tail twitch!
Spoiler:
We always want to support art in all its forms and therefore pay when available. For those having trouble finding/renting:

PLEASE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK :x
https://www.rulu.co/movies/kedi/
The making of Kedi: https://www.indiewire.com/2017/02/kedi- ... 201781378/

Interview with Director: https://vimeo.com/224053389

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am

I'm pretty much in love with this movie. Originally, the filmmakers were considering keeping it as an 'animals only' story. This would also have been amazing with the beautiful backdrops, coloring, film quality, and little fabulous furry personalities, but I'm grateful they opted instead to include humans.

The interactions were precious with so many caring individuals loving and respecting these little street urchins. I loved the tough black and white female who rules her territory, including her husband. She has what it takes to survive, yet is adaptable to that end.

The opening of the show eloquently stated, "Dogs think people are God, but cats don't. Cats are aware of God's existence. Cats know that people act as middlemen to God's will. They're not ungrateful, they just know better."

Odd how humans ascribe certain qualities to animals and place thoughts in their heads and parallels to the flow of life. But, that is half the fun, isn't it? The observations of the kediler really showcased the large hearts of both creature and Human. It also displayed the force of freedom versus domestication in a lot of forms. Such was the case with the beautiful artist who defies the confines and concept of femininity through her choice of dress and expression - envying the feline freedom.

The closeup footage of the faces and fur was so satiating. Such beautiful creatures. Living breathing healers for many of these villagers who need hope and love.

The little gray gentleman who would never set paw through the cafe's front door yet made his presence known was priceless. I love these people who opened their hearts, doors, pocketbooks, and windows to these soft and sassy creatures. Of course, one can argue that feeding throngs of feral cats is a bad idea while the world is leaning toward animal control as the humane approach, but there oft is a symbiotic relationship that is quite beautiful between the semi-domesticated yet wild little kiddos and the people they grace with their presence.

Mostly, I loved the free spirits and the general effect of gentle humanity shown on screen. Coming in at a very strong second was the feel of the film, both visually and aurally with the tinkling bell soundtrack and beautiful footage. Really a quietly sweet meaningful documentary.

NurseRatched

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Lori:

The closeup footage of the faces and fur was so satiating. Such beautiful creatures. Living breathing healers for many of these villagers who need hope and love.

The little gray gentleman who would never set paw through the cafe's front door yet made his presence known was priceless. I love these people who opened their hearts, doors, pocketbooks, and windows to these soft and sassy creatures. Of course, one can argue that feeding throngs of feral cats is a bad idea while the world is leaning toward animal control as the humane approach, but there oft is a symbiotic relationship that is quite beautiful between the semi-domesticated yet wild little kiddos and the people they grace with their presence.

Mostly, I loved the free spirits and the general effect of gentle humanity shown on screen. Coming in at a very strong second was the feel of the film, both visually and aurally with the tinkling bell soundtrack and beautiful footage. Really a quietly sweet meaningful documentary.

We watched this gorgeous, poignant film a couple months ago. Absolutely loved it! The whole movie was a welcome adventure; visually, Istanbul is relaxed & charming-a contrast to our orderly city streets. I agree that the HUMANITY shown to all these kitties, who live in two worlds, was remarkable!! I choked up several times listening to the citizens describe the cats & their personalities; incredibly heartwarming to watch people take a couple minutes to bend down & scratch a belly or two. Watching the orange mama kitty carefully carry scraps of food to her kittens about did me in--SO ADORABLE! It was difficult to reconcile all those cats & no real attempt (that I could see) control the population by spaying and neutering. But that's not the point of the film.
This is a good one, ladies, even if you are lukewarm over cats. The humans will touch your heart, too! :x

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:54 pm

So glad you loved the film, Mz. K!! I think my blood pressure calmed to a dull roar. The mom and her kittens was indeed beautiful.

The car ride with the gentleman holding the sick little kitten elicited a bevy of emotions. Of course we would all want to help, yet the extent he went to was sweet and overtly important to him for reasons we will never know. This gentlemen was allowed to bloom where he was planted and serve something other than himself. That is a gift.

Fun stuff! I hope the other Girls Posing As Women here enjoy as much!

NurseRatched

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:03 am

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lana ... index.html

Another way to approach the feral cat/overpopulation situation... :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:46 am

Oh, nice research, NR. That's like a luxury holiday complex for cats in Hawaii, complete with cuddles! A hugely commendable project!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:09 am

Thank you, Lori, for recommending this sweet, heartwarming little film, and posting the links to the article on making the film and the interview with the charming director.

I'm not sure I can add anything new here that would not repeat your thoughts, Lori and NR. I enjoyed all the things you did, for the very same reasons you did.

Cats are such fascinating creatures with their eccentric behaviours. Not only they are all individuals but they go through 'phases' of doing things one way, then changing their habits inexplicably from one day to the next. They are a constant source of puzzle and amusement.

My husband criticised the film as non consequential and he said he didn't learn anything new. Much as he enjoyed the cats and the scenery and the humans who cared for them.
For me, that was enough. It didn't need to be more than that to justify its existence. But in a way it was a bit more than that. I loved this gentle "live and let live" philosophy of the Istambulians, that evolved into more of a "love and let love".

I also liked what the director said about people, how it is actually a black and white thing: "there are people who are open, and there are people who are closed." That covers it all, no need to narrow it down to whether you love animals or don't. If you're open, you will turn to animals with love, just like you would turn to everything with an open heart...

It was very enjoyable to watch so many people with big open hearts in this film, loving and caring for these aloof little heartbreakers!

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:00 pm

It was fun for me as someone who lives life without animals due to allergies (mostly Mr. Lori's) to witness these little creatures living life fully on their own terms. Yes, cats do that to a large extent regardless, but it was another layer. I'm with you on this one, Dee, (sorry Mr. Dee - though I do see your point) that it was an immersion and sweet little ride much like a boat down a canal where you simply flow with the sights and sounds of life.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:09 pm

"it was an immersion and sweet little ride much like a boat down a canal where you simply flow with the sights and sounds of life"
I loved that description. So perfect for this film.

I keep thinking back at parts and it makes me smile...

I'm sorry that fur allergies stop you guys from having animals. At least you can still love other people's, and Mr Lori can still love them from a healthy distance!

Fun fact: I'm somewhat allergic to my drum. Because of the pretty goat fur left unshaven on the edges of the skin on my djembe. A little itch on my arms and periodical sneezing. But it's manageable.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:29 pm

That is a shocking little fun fact! I never would have imagined, but it makes sense! Who would have thought?!

• Information