Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #15 Hereafter

DawnFae

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Hereafter (2010)

A drama centered on three people who are haunted by mortality in different ways. George (Matt Damon) is a blue-collar American who has a special connection to the afterlife. On the other side of the world, Marie (Cécile de France), a French journalist, has a near-death experience that shakes her reality. And when Marcus (identical twins Frankie McLaren and George McLaren), a London schoolboy, loses the person closest to him, he desperately needs answers. Each on a path in search of the truth, their lives will intersect, forever changed by what they believe might-or must-exist in the hereafter.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am

Started watching this and quit as I think my husband would enjoy it too and my kiddo is coming home so time is sparse. So far, it looks interesting! Will continue this weekend. :x

Update: Finished and thoroughly enjoyed the movie. More on Wednesday when the smoke dissipates.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:31 am

I really enjoyed this film. Quite the opening sequence of events! It was an interesting full-circle take on our existence and the great beyond, done with style and a fresh approach. I am not a Matt Damon fan. Sorry. ...For reasons. He was very good in this movie and his character so relatable, trying to escape his "gift" and live a normal life.

I loved the casting with the young boy who was an identical twin who suffered so much loss, yet lived in a strange dysfunctional kind of family not devoid of love. Without giving away too much of the story at this point, I recommend watching as it has some pretty incredible moments. Thanks so much, Mz. K., for the suggestion. I look forward to more of us viewing this film.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Great! Hoping to watch this later tonight or tomorrow!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:40 am

Thanks for the recommendation, DF, and the following through, Lori. I've enjoyed this movie too and I agree, it had some beautiful, poignant moments.

I have always cried easily watching films, reading books and listening to music... so no surprise this movie has made me tear up a few times. Parts of this story is very hard. All our main characters suffer from aching loneliness. It is wonderful to know that two of them have possibly come to find true companionship by the end, and our sweet little Marcus will hopefully start healing now too, with the help of all the caring grownups around him. And I like the idea that George might be one of those people from here onwards. The interactions between him and Marcus after George had decided to give him a reading, were my favourite part of the film.

Marcus was such a wonderful character, so resilient and resourceful, so determined and heartbreakingly loyal to his brother. Every moment he was on the screen was a beautiful treat, and the real gem of Hereafter for me.

It was a relief that none of his story fell into cliches. The mother did care, and managed to sort herself out, or at least was on her way to a better place to be there for her son by the end.
The social services people were on the case and dedicated. The foster parents were out of their depths but remained kind to Marcus. Somehow it was all believable.

The supernatural elements were gentle, and not at all dominating the film. It made us think about the possibilities of the "Hereafter" and described the evidence of those experiencing it, but left it there open for us to interpret. The main focus of the film was not so much the exploration of the concept but rather how the exploration of the subject has brought three lonely people together.

Marie's story was so very sad too. How she couldn't quite see through her asshole of a boyfriend sooner was hard to watch.

I liked how George initiated body contact with her at the signing, to check whether there would be issues here, and found to his relief that the only person he would connect to when he touched her was Marie herself. Both of them returning from the brink of death, they would recognise one another as kindred spirits.

It was killing me throughout the scenes with Melanie to place the actress... and I didn't get there until I looked her up and then, of course!!

Spoiler:
I liked that the film didn't try to be more than what it was. A gentle nudge to think about what happens to us after we die, offering something that could be perceived as comforting, I guess. George had a relatively light approach to the "readings", despite the emotional richness of the situations. Again, they were more believable this way.

I liked that the Melanie storyline stopped. Again, not going with a cliche/predictable.

I liked that Marie's boss helped her after all. Again, not a cliche.

Not so sure about the scene of "Jason" knocking off his cap off Marcus' head in the tube... a bit of a mixing in of ghost stories and Final Destination that was slightly out of place in this movie for me. That might be my only criticism. What did you make of that?

The ending? Perhaps a touch too sentimental, but why the hell not, they (and us viewers) have earned a ray of sunshine by the end of so much sadness.

Over to you, Ladies. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:27 am

Glad you enjoyed the film, oh Tender One! I also bonded to each and every scene involving young Marcus. Thank you for pinpointing another aspect that really gave the show authenticity; that being these characters were not memes of what we often see. The social workers had big hearts and were not the intractable rule-thumpers we see so often. The mother was dedicated and warm within her trouble, and love was still front and center while she tried to....stay alive. We were not berated with stereotypes which so often do not respect the viewer's intellect. Such a relief! Yes, even the 'hereafter' experiences were treated with kid gloves as to not detract.

The cap was a bit weird. The concept didn't bother me, but the verbal exchange regarding it was strangely out of place. I believe George was embellishing a bit, but it made the viewer question abilities and motives assigned to those ostensibly still reaching out from beyond. That was a bit clunky imo.

I agree that the ending was a bit saccharine, but I also liked that it ended when it did rather than attempt to show the future other than his visions.

Fun Fact: The actress from the Black Mirror is Bryce Dallas Howard (she happens to be Ron Howard's daughter). She is also the star of Jurassic World, The Help, etc.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0397171/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t2

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:35 am

And she was Victoria in the ill-fated Twilight Saga... :57: That was a very odd casting.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:40 am

The cap was a bit weird. The concept didn't bother me, but the verbal exchange regarding it was strangely out of place. I believe George was embellishing a bit, but it made the viewer question abilities and motives assigned to those ostensibly still reaching out from beyond.
Exactly. It kinda stood alone as well. In all other cases the souls with things to say were just waiting to be summoned and said their piece through the medium, to allow closure for the one left behind. (And presumably for themselves too.) A physical contact in the real world without a medium, that was one isolated incident that didn't seem to fit into the rest of the picture we were shown.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:08 am

What did you make of the depiction of the "Hereafter"?

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:33 am

I thought it in line with descriptions from people who've experienced 'life after death', but it felt fluid and left to the imagination.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:45 am

Yes. I liked that it didn't try to give answers, it was more about the asking of the questions.

In my imagination though the "Hereafter" (because I can't imagine there is just 'nothing') would not include human forms. It would be more like a faint sound of bells (a bit like the cowbells on the Spanish mountains) and flowing swirling colours of light, or stars, endless stars.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:46 am

...and cheese queso and chips? Please?

• Information