Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #13 Maudie

DawnFae

Sun May 27, 2018 10:56 am

Thank you for sharing this gem with us Dee!
I loved Maudie's story so much!
The message seems to be: enjoy life as it is because there is no other one!

Maudie, despite her handicap and pain never gave up on herself. She lived life with artistry, the painted pictures were the fruit of the love she felt for everything life gifted her with moment to moment.

I think that Maudie saw everything as it was not as most of us would: colored with our expectations and the wish things and people were different.
It seems that she had nothing but love and light in her heart. She even went to see her wretched aunt Ida after all she put her through. And when her greedy "brother" paid her a visit, she exactly knew why he was there! He came for his own selfish gain as he did years back when he sold her own daughter without her knowledge.
Even this tragedy could not bring Maudie's spirit down. She went on painting and loving life as it revealed itself to her moment by moment.

She recognized the wounded "wolf" her husband was and gave him room to grow and open up for love.
I thought the movie was strong and powerful in conveying the most painful moments in a realistic and humane way.
Maudie earned her own money and loved the little house she lived in with her faithful companion until death came and claimed her body but her spirit went on living and shining with love and a beauty that is as bright and deep as the pictures she painted with her loving heart.

Moonchime

Tue May 29, 2018 10:16 am

DawnFae wrote:
The message seems to be: enjoy life as it is because there is no other one!

I think that Maudie saw everything as it was not as most of us would: colored with our expectations and the wish things and people were different.

So true DF - instead of making her happiness dependent on a set of criteria/conditions she accepted things as they were and then got about moulding them to the best possible advantage without self pity or blame. So often we put happiness on hold until a particular goal is achieved only to find that we are no happier when we gain it. Presumably she learnt early in life not to depend on other people but to dig for her own strength within.

I thought the movie was strong and powerful in conveying the most painful moments in a realistic and humane way.

I agree; I think it's strength came through the often understated way in which it conveyed those moments - a gesture, comment or picture transmitted great emotion.

Maudie earned her own money and loved the little house she lived in with her faithful companion until death came and claimed her body but her spirit went on living and shining with love and a beauty that is as bright and deep as the pictures she painted with her loving heart.
It is lovely isn't it that her spirit shines through her work?
She did not demand much from life and perhaps that is why she looked so happy into her old age and why her character was so life-affirming.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue May 29, 2018 5:00 pm

DawnFae wrote:

So happy you've enjoyed it, DF!

Maudie, despite her handicap and pain never gave up on herself. She lived life with artistry, the painted pictures were the fruit of the love she felt for everything life gifted her with moment to moment.

I love this description. It is a flow of love both ways, isn't it? She showed the love she felt for all the seasons, shapes, colours, animals in her art, and because she found so much joy in painting, she was happy. Painting all that she loved made her happy. And painting them made her love everything even more. Living in the moment, we always come back to that, don't we?

She recognized the wounded "wolf" her husband was and gave him room to grow and open up for love.

Again, beautifully said. :x

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:17 am

Checking this off my fun list this week. I'm so looking forward to this movie!

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello ladies. I spent the afternoon with Maudie and then you all. This gentle presentation of a life distilled to a little under two hours was beautiful with all its stark framed scenes. I enjoyed so much what you've shared above with the relationship complexities and the huge heart it would take to unravel that ball of yarn.

In a bold out-of-character move, Dee, I accessed the thread you posted in art a week or two ago and I was glad that I did so prior to watching the movie. It enhanced it for me. I also loved the real life footage at the end and was somewhat surprised at the jovial Everett nearly bouncing along like a song and dance man. Maud's face stunned me with the leaping life still in her eyes and in her smile. I will access the art thread again to process it more fully.

This film had some deeply painful moment for me - those surrounding disability, poverty, and also abuse. I needed fresh air and sunshine pronto....and deep breaths. Isn't it a hallowed moment when the realization hits that someone challenged in so many ways outshines the lot of us?

What struck me profoundly was the eye through which Maud viewed life. It was intrinsic in her being. This artful expression, rather than being a choice, was her lifeblood. Immersion in painting was her peaceful place, comforter, and happy expression. I loved her for her gentle ways, both with people and animals.

No doubt the scope of her talent is argued in many circles. I find Maud and her work to be a treasure. If art evokes pleasure in the viewer...put it in the 'yes' pile.

Thanks so much, Dee, for the great movie! I didn't have a cat or tea or thee and she and she and she....but your spirits walk beside me. So glad to share this with you all!

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:05 pm

So happy you've watched it, Lori, and that it has touched you deeply. Thank you for your thoughts.
What struck me profoundly was the eye through which Maud viewed life. It was intrinsic in her being. This artful expression, rather than being a choice, was her lifeblood. Immersion in painting was her peaceful place, comforter, and happy expression.
I think that's a beautiful thing to take away from the film, something we can all learn from Maud. I guess, we all have our own safe and happy places, don't we? We just need to find them and go there as often as possible! :72:

• Information