Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #13 Maudie

Dee
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2018 8:38 am

Maudie

For Divers:

Maudie is a 2016 biographical drama film directed by Aisling Walsh and starring Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke. A co-production of Ireland and Canada, the film is about the life of folk artist Maud Lewis, who painted in Nova Scotia.

For Toe Dippers:

Spoiler:
In the story, Maud (Hawkins) struggles with arthritis, memory of a lost child, and a family that doubts her ability, before moving in with a surly fish peddler (Hawke) as a housekeeper.

The trailer is an absolute NO NO. It gives everything away.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2018 11:14 am

In the Art Board you find a Sister Topic Thread dedicated to Maud Lewis.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=300

Dee
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Such a lovely song and fitted so well into the film...

Dee
Site Admin

Fri May 18, 2018 2:58 pm

I wish we could all sit down together to watch these movies... I know, we are experts by now at doing things together virtually, but laughing and crying together during the film... I long for that sometimes. Today we had a bit of a gathering over this film: Mz Moonchime and Jollybeard came round to watch it together, and that was so lovely.

I adore this film, and second time round it has still affected me just the same as the first time. Filled my heart with admiration for this amazing woman who kept her heart happy and full of wonder at the beauty of the world, despite the harsh realities of her life. How she tirelessly filled their house with colour and smiles.

What an inspiration she is... Maud found that painting gave her life meaning, made her happy, and she even managed to make a modest living out of it. But that wasn't her only admirable skill.
The way she took control of her life despite her illness. And how she tamed her husband, this surly, damaged, emotionally thwarted man, who most likely would have never known love and happiness without Maud giving him a chance.
She must have seen something in him, right from the start, to put up with his crap, beyond the sad truth that she really needed him to let her stay, because she had nowhere else to go.

I admired how good she was at manipulating him, to benefit them both. How she masterfully made him feel in control, though they both knew very well who was really in charge. He didn't even seem to mind after a while, as long as he could maintain his pride by keeping up the pretence.

There were some very harsh words said by Everett, and when he slapped her face ... that hurt so much to watch. But then there was so much tenderness too, tiny little things, yet none of them wasted on Maud, who learnt how to read these. And no matter how he treated her at the beginning, she always managed to keep her dignity.

It was heartbreaking to see Everett return to the house on his own. Ethan Hawke did a fantastic job with the character. And Sally Hawkins? Oh my. This actress is just a wonder, isn't she?

Jollybeard

Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes! I agree Dee, this film was just as you said.

Stunningly enchanting in the quiet, slow pace...the subtleties of her knowing how to weave and wind.
Maudie’s talent was as if taming a wild horse. She had to watch, listen, feel. Sometimes she got kicked, so had to regroup and continue with a slightly subtle change to take into account the new information. The words carefully chosen, but never too many. The body language, the signs. She was a master of reading him. A master at getting his trust, leading him to where she needed him to be. By the end you could feel her patience paying off as he gave little signs of tentatively coming to meet her. She was reeling him in, taming him, so softly and patiently.
Like a horse whisperer, she got to a place of peace with him. Balance.
This started out as codependency, but over time, with Maud’s quiet tenacity and persistence, it became something really beautiful. You could feel the care, attention and warmth between them. Incredible acting from them both. Uplifting.....Just watch this film....

Dee
Site Admin

Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm

What a lovely review, Mz JB!
Jollybeard wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Maudie’s talent was as if taming a wild horse. She had to watch, listen, feel. Sometimes she got kicked, so had to regroup and continue with a slightly subtle change to take into account the new information. The words carefully chosen, but never too many. The body language, the signs. She was a master of reading him. A master at getting his trust, leading him to where she needed him to be. By the end you could feel her patience paying off as he gave little signs of tentatively coming to meet her. She was reeling him in, taming him, so softly and patiently.
Like a horse whisperer, she got to a place of peace with him. Balance.
I love how you've worded this. And the image of a horse whisperer with a wild horse...

She never once said to him that he needed to change this or that. She loved him as he was, no matter what. She was just herself, and quietly and softly guided him, for his benefit as much as her own. And most of the change came from Everett naturally with reflection on his mistakes or the practicality of Maud's good ideas. Perhaps it worked exactly because she didn't force him to change, just wanted him to be happy, and gently gave him the tools to achieve that. Appealed to his good side and blocked out the dark. Teased out all the goodness from him by loving him with warts and all.

NurseRatched

Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 pm

How fantastic that you've watched with some other Harbour Mermaids! Just lovely. I would much rather watch together, but as you say, we've adjusted to our limitations & manage quite well. :039: I am really looking forward to this movie; I just love that actress; she was so good in "The Shape of Water". I will read all your thoughtful comments once I'm done. Thanks for suggesting this one, Dee! :x

Moonchime

Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

Yes sitting with good company to watch a film brings on a different dimension indeed and I think we all really enjoyed being at Mz Dee’s cinema - I particularly liked having a cat next to me.

I loved the film –its gentle pace and gradual unfolding gave it a strength and power that is lacking in so many noisier films which hasten the story along. The amount of dialogue is relatively minimal, allowing gesture and expression to speak every bit as much, if not more, than words.

Maybe that’s partly because there isn’t a lot of “plot” as such – just the flowering of a life and relationship. I think it is everyday life and emotions that require real skill to put across meaningfully.

For me the sense of place was also important and I thought much of the cinematography quite beautiful and a significant part of communicating the story; we saw Maud as a little hunched figure struggling along into town against the great scenic backdrop of the sea; One small person struggling with big problems.

Then again there were the touching scenes of Everett pushing her along in the cart. I love those shots – they were like paintings in themselves and held so much meaning within them.

Yes I too think the comparison Mz Jollybeard makes of Maud to a horse-whisperer is a good one and wonderfully expressed.
She certainly works some magic on her husband over time, although I do think she must have really wanted the relationship to work to put up with what she did.

It's true she may have had nowhere to go (although she could have tried her aunt again) but the whole way her character is portrayed suggests to me that she would have walked if she wanted to; after he hit her she asks if he wants her to stay or not, saying that if he doesn’t she will go – I felt she would have gone if he had said he wanted that.
They were different times too and perceptions change; perhaps she didn’t view herself as “victim.”

People often put up with a great deal when they love someone and despite everything, they seemed, eventually , to become a truly loving and contented couple.
Certainly there were things that were hard to watch, one of the worst being the time when she had just found out that her baby was alive and healthy and he doesn’t stop his rant to listen to her. Yet a few days later we see them sat together in a beautifully understated romantic scene with no doubt that there is real love between them.

I thought that the vignette at the end of the real Everett and Maud was wonderful; they both looked so cheerful and Maud has such a warm smile. Oh that we could fathom the depths of the human heart!

I totally agree with Mz Dee about the stunning acting of both Sally Hawkins and Ethan Hawke. For Sally H it must have been emotionally and physically demanding and Ethan doesn't falter in his portrayal of the emotionally stunted Everett. Wonderful performances both.

To finish my post is Maud's comment on the gift windows give us:

DawnFae

Wed May 23, 2018 11:47 am

Thank you for your wonderful comments and sharing Ladies.
I'll catch up this weekend.
Keep the posts coming :x !

Lori
Site Admin

Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Me too!!! Me too!!!

(When I am done chasing my tail, that is!)
:x

DawnFae

Thu May 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Lori wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:54 pm
Me too!!! Me too!!!

(When I am done chasing my tail, that is!)
:x

HAHA! That is a pretty tail Mz. Lori :72: :x !

Dee
Site Admin

Sat May 26, 2018 9:32 am

I hope you will get the chance to watch the film soon, Ladies. If only you too could have just dropped round mine, to see it together !

Mz Moonchime, I think those images of Everett pushing Maud in the cart were my favourite part of the movie too... and what I will always remember. It was just something so unique to them. So much affection behind this simple gesture.

I enjoyed the little glimpse at the real Maud and Everett at the end of the movie too. It seems like Sally has captured the essence of Maud and her smile brilliantly. The real Everett seemed to be a little more cheerful than film-Everett, didn't he? :57:

There's more footage of the 'real' Maud and Everett in the Maud Lewis thread in the 'You Gotta See This!' Board.

• Information