Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #12 Far from the Madding Crowd (2015)

DawnFae

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

Far from the Madding Crowd - Synopsis

The story of independent, beautiful and headstrong Bathsheba Everdene (Carey Mulligan), who attracts three very different suitors: Gabriel Oak (Matthias Schoenaerts), a sheep farmer, captivated by her fetching willfulness; Frank Troy (Tom Sturridge), a handsome and reckless Sergeant; and William Boldwood (Michael Sheen), a prosperous and mature bachelor. This timeless story of Bathsheba's choices and passions explores the nature of relationships and love - as well as the human ability to overcome hardships through resilience and perseverance.

Movie Trailer:

Movie Trailer # 2

We would love to watch and comment together on Friday April, the 20th 2018

:x

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:21 am

Beautiful set-up, DF! I am going to be out of town helping my brother so may not watch on-time, but will do so ASAP! I remember an older version of this movie, but I've not seen this one. I look forward to it!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:38 pm

Thanks for the set up, DF. :x
I'm going in all fresh on this one. Looking forward to it!

DawnFae

Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:32 pm

I am looking forward to watching this movie with you Girls.
Lots of love!
:x :x :x

NurseRatched

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:23 pm

I apologize, DF, I'm so far behind in the movies! Thank you for the introduction & videos; I'm hoping to dive in this weekend! I love movies with strong female lead characters. :039:

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Well, Mz DF, you know, that was just the perfect choice... :x

On this gloomy, rainy afternoon I have found myself alone and this film turned out to be just what I needed. I got completely absorbed in the story, the anguish of the characters, and the gorgeous Dorset countryside.

It worked for me on all fronts. Visually beautiful, very well acted, and mostly believable character responses, especially from the men. It took Mz Everdene an awful long time to realise that Gabriel was the one for her... but I guess back then women in her situation sadly had a lot more to consider than true love. Besides, despite her good sense in business and all matters regarding running a farm, our heroine was frustratingly dim and immature in her dealings with men.

I enjoyed all the three men's performances, I must admit. Even though Frank turned out to be a real shit, it was hard not to feel some sympathy for him seeing his dead sweetheart and baby in that coffin, driven to kill himself in his grief. Then he continued to be a real shit and I couldn't help feeling a great sense of relief when Boldwood silenced him with a well aimed shot. He was meant to be dead anyway.

Boldwood's devotion for Mz Everdene moved me to tears a couple of times, love sick fool he has been, no care for his dignity. He laid himself so bare for her, and Gabriel too, that I couldn't help but warm to him. And he could sing so damn well. :035: I thought Michael Sheen was tremendous in the role.

And Gabriel... Oh, the beautiful sweet man who stayed proud and strong and took no shit from Mz Everdene, an equal partner to her in stubbornness. His loyalty was a heartwarming thing to witness, a good, honest, hardworking man, with some spark and flirt as well, I mean, there was never really a choice-choice, Mz Everdene, was there?

I love a good old happy ending, and this felt so deserved.

A thoroughly enjoyable romantic treat, thank you so much for recommending it, Mz DF. I could positively sense the healing it did to my soul that's been put through far too much screen-induced horror lately from the likes of TWD and THT. This was just pure bliss. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:25 pm

Three more things to say after this clip:

1. I adored all the songs in this film.

2. The director has summed up the timelessness of this story so perfectly: the difficulties of how a woman can be super strong yet still devoted to man.

3. Yet another gorgeous man who looks so much better with facial hair... or is that just me?? :?

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:38 am

What a lovely song/scene:

NurseRatched

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:01 pm

I am just at the dinner scene now; we are having a hella windy day & my streaming internet keeps dying out!😩 I am completely in love w/ this film so far! Come on, Internet!!!😭😩😭

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Oh, how frustrating!!! Good luck! Xx

NurseRatched

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:22 pm

Such a treat, this film! I can already tell it will be a movie I'll watch again and again. The acting is superb. At times, the plot leads us into chapters that are dismal & unwanted (the loss of Gabriel's sheep & livelihood, the marriage between Bathsheba and the repugnant Frank) but so worth the final gratifying artistic ending. You sense from the first moment she meets Mr. Oak that they will be together.

It surprised me that Frank could have such deep affection for Fanny; he showed such emotion when he saw her begging in the streets. He was crushed when she & the baby died. It was so uncharacteristic of the man we see in other scenes! His manner with Bathsheba was so condescending; he certainly didn't treasure their marriage. He seemed incapable of true love.

Dee:
It worked for me on all fronts. Visually beautiful, very well acted, and mostly believable character responses, especially from the men. It took Mz Everdene an awful long time to realise that Gabriel was the one for her... but I guess back then women in her situation sadly had a lot more to consider than true love. Besides, despite her good sense in business and all matters regarding running a farm, our heroine was frustratingly dim and immature in her dealings with men.
Mz E...She was quite something; I loved her independence and spirit! But as you say, so frustrating to watch her fumble past two men who would love & cherish her, right into the arms of a complete jerk.

The scene with her jumping in to wash sheep (is that what they were doing??) with Gabriel and the farmhands was fabulous; she proves that she can not only own and manage the farm, but join in the hard work. Boldwood's appearance on screen at that moment was heavy with emotion. You can't help but feel sorry for him. He opens his heart to her. And he proves to be a loyal friend and protector.

Such a beautifully crafted movie. The farm supper scene was just wonderful, I loved the music. Thank you SO MUCH, DF, for the recommendation. A+++ :x

NurseRatched

Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 pm

Dee:
3. Yet another gorgeous man who looks so much better with facial hair... or is that just me?? :?

No, it's not just you. Better with, for sure!! :72: :57:

• Information