Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #9 Three Colours: Blue

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:36 pm

Thanks for posting the interview, NR. :x

Things like watching the sugar cube soak up the coffee, I love all that shit. I don't know if it was worth half a day to get the right sugar cube that takes just under 5 sec though. It feels perfect, for sure, but personally, I wouldn't have minded if it had lasted 8 seconds, just saying. :57:

But seriously, these little moments are priceless in a film. Huge drama is going on in life and what are we focused on? Funny, seemingly insignificant little things. Something that helps us block out stuff we don't want to think about. Sometimes we attribute these little things symbolic meaning. Either way, they are the perfect distraction. To the extent that in that mind space we can find wonder and beauty in these little things. A sugar cube soaking up the coffee. Light playing, reflected from the blue crystals.

I love it, because I do this kinda stuff all the time and I get utterly absorbed in it. I love to see it on film, because I love watching other people do it, and I totally get it. If the director decides he has time for it, ( even if he concludes 5sec is enough), that suggests the film is slow and deep, just how I like them. Never get bored with these moments. Never. And Kieslowski is absolutely brilliant at this.

NurseRatched

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:06 pm

I think it's wonderful that you do this in life and recognize the joy it brings. When I see it in a movie, I always wonder what the director is telling us without using one word. Life is so damn busy and complex. Any chance I get to observe, I try to zero in; watching the ice crack and melt in the driveway for example. The patterns and sounds are beautiful.

He cracked me up with his "timing" obsession-he knows humans and how much (or little) patience we have for certain things! Especially speaking to our current societies, we don't allow for the slow burn of anything. It gives me a thrill to see details (such as the sugar cube) in movies and in life. Our wonderful, intricate world!❤️

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:30 am

Any chance I get to observe, I try to zero in; watching the ice crack and melt in the driveway for example. The patterns and sounds are beautiful.
~ NR

Totally Wabi-sabi. :08:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:02 am

I loved the humanity shown by the nurse when Julie broke the window for the distraction she needed to end her life. That was real. Then, Julie's repeated apology was heartbreaking yet did not seem rote. It was the first glimpse that this character was operating from a gentle heart and nature. This was supported by her care of her employees with the dissolution of property, making sure they were cared for - as well as her mother. Within her blue cloud, she still reached out when needed.
The journey in this film was beautiful and felt very real to me. Julie could not initially accept comfort from people. There is no comfort. The blue water - a place where she battled her demons in isolation, lashing out and floating - was veritably an anti-womb where she was fighting rebirth yet facilitating it. Time may not heal, but eventually she adapted. She felt the sweet wind (of life) on her face. She received truly a loving hug from Lucille. The finale of the symphony was liberating and...right.
I loved this, Lori.
I wondered if she did Olivier a favor or disservice by succumbing through grief to have a moment of connection. Had this been the last time he saw her, would it have been kinder to let him pine for something that never manifested? Or, would this have been a true gift to him? Regardless, that question did not come into final play.
True gift. That would be my answer. Any beautiful human interaction is a true gift, even if it's a once in a lifetime connection.

In this instance though, I couldn't help thinking that Julie has planted a little seed of possibility for the future, even if this was furthest from her intention at the time. She didn't just gift those moments to Oliver, but herself as well. Like she took the blue crystal lamp shade after she wanted to give it away with everything else. She even lashed out and tried to destroy it. And then changed her mind. This was the first act of giving in to carrying the past within her, rather than cutting it off completely, in her forced attempt to let go in such drastic ways. Eventually, by letting certain things back in and letting herself feel them, accept that they are irrevocably part of her, that's how she has found the right way to move forward.
I will watch the other two films in the series, but will not read synopses as I really love diving in the deep end.
Lol. Mea culpa. I thought after the "slaughterhouse incident" I should give just a little warning about the subject matter of the film this time.

On the whole I'm with you, Lori, about diving in the deep end and not knowing stuff prior. But there are a few trigger warnings I can think of I'd be grateful for nevertheless. #moreofawimpthaniseem

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 pm

True gift. That would be my answer. Any beautiful human interaction is a true gift, even if it's a once in a lifetime connection.
And that is what I love about you, Mz. D. You are so correct about that and also the fact this was a gift to Julie herself whether she knew it or not.

BTW - I am up for White this weekend. Next weekend is hard for me and also for Dee, I believe. Everyone on board? You caught up, DF? We need the green.....we need the green!!!

DawnFae

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Hey guys :x !
I haven't caught up yet. I am going to watch Blue tomorrow.
I read all your comments and reviews with great pleasure.

I will come back here for my comment / review.

Green it is dear friend :x !

Blue is so beautiful, sigh :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:00 pm

Bring the green on Blue, DF! It will be interesting to watch it having had all this chatter about it in your head already! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:14 pm

My vote is also to go for White this weekend, to keep the momentum going. I will set it up. :x

DF, you could watch them back to back! :72:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Dee wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:16 am

Three Colours: Blue is a 1993 French drama film directed and co-written by Polish filmmaker Krzysztof Kieślowski. Blue is the first of three films that comprise the Three Colours trilogy, themed on the French Revolutionary ideals of liberty, equality, and fraternity; it is followed by White and Red. According to Kieślowski, the subject of the film is liberty, specifically emotional liberty, rather than its social or political meaning.

Set in Paris, the film is about a woman whose husband and child are killed in a car accident. Suddenly set free from her familial bonds, she attempts to cut herself off from everything and live in isolation from her former ties...

• Information