Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #6 Truly Madly Deeply

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I think this is my favorite passage of the poem.
Lori wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm

I shall walk with frost and fire and death and snow,
my feet will want to walk to where you are sleeping, but
I shall stay alive,
because above all things
you wanted me indomitable

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:18 am

I would like to say one more thing about the movie that I find fascinating and wonderful. It can be viewed from two completely separate perceptions; one being that this was an actual experience with Nina literally seeing and interacting with Jamie’s ghost, and the other being it is simply a manifestation and depiction of the grieving process - the natural thought processes and redefining we eventually do to move forward. No coughing and slightly annoying gestures (constant whining and water on the face to wake a wife up as a couple of examples!) or annoying ghost friends wrapped in blankets necessary.

I also have to point out how incredibly realistic that first hug was when he was back from the dead. Very well done. My cold little heart clenched and then expanded. Then the final hug when he knew she was letting go, I noticed he did not return it – his arms were hanging down by his side. Really a lot of amazing body language and symbolism in this movie.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:29 am

I loveloveloveLOVE eveRything you've written, girls, and I'm so looking forward to watching this film again. It's been a long while. I had a very hectic weekend. I'm catching up soon!

DawnFae

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:04 pm

To you amazing siSSterSS :x :x :x !

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:47 pm

Back at you Delightful Mz. DF! :x :x :x :x :x :72:

NurseRatched

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 pm

Such a beautiful movie, Dee! Thank you for recommending it. I so enjoyed reading your interpretations, DF and Lori.

I almost quit watching when Nina was in the therapist's office. I have never seen such a real expression of raw grief in any movie. "And I'm so angry with other people, people in love, out of love or wasting love..." Exactly! It's exactly how you would feel! And then her abrupt snap back to life; just like a woman. After all, you can't let inconsolability leak into the therapist's next appointment. Incredible scene!

I liked the ambiguity of Jamie in general; we don't really know how long he's been dead or anything about their history as a couple. We only know that they have a bond which transcends time and space and physical properties. Such exquisite acting between those two. I absolutely loved the scene where Jamie brought all his ghostly buddies over for videos. Too funny! Jamie was obviously transitioning Nina away from him and into the future. In the end, when things had clearly unraveled at the flat, I felt so much joy for her. Grief is such a heavy burden to carry. She was ready to move forward. This movie was so well done; tender, human and humorous. Another GREAT film :x

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:54 am

Omg. This sounds like an amazing movie. I must watch it! :72:

NurseRatched

Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:33 am

Lol-you are such an imp😎

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:24 am

NR - that scene was almost unbearable for me too. But, it was sweet release in ways. She named the thing starkly and vulnerably.

I would be interested to hear all of your perceptions on the therapist herself. How do you interpret her general silence. I felt it was a bit more reserved than simply a therapist allowing a patient to purge. Thoughts?

Dee, if I finish reading The Book Thief, will you watch Truly, Madly, Deeply? :039: :039: :039: (I kid...)

NurseRatched

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:42 am

She seemed cold. Robotically handed her tissues afterwards. Her posture presented her as aloof & completely unmoved. It's one thing to allow Nina to vent and rage, but she looked 100% disengaged. Now, having said that, how long had Nina been seeing this therapist? Is this her long-time therapist who is now charged with helping her through the grieving process?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:59 pm

Dee, if I finish reading The Book Thief, will you watch Truly, Madly, Deeply? :039: :039: :039: (I kid...)

:57: This made me laugh so much.

Ok, ok. I've just watched it. :08:

Spoiler:
What page are you on in the Book Thief, Mz L?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:02 pm

It really is such an amazing film. I'm so happy you've all connected with it. I'm gonna try to collect my dishevelled thoughts.

• Information