Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #6 Truly Madly Deeply

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:14 pm

On Friday, 26 January, let's watch...

A British fantasy drama film made for the BBC's Screen Two series in 1990, by BBC Films, Lionheart and Winston Pictures, written and directed by Anthony Minghella, starring Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman.

Minghella said he wrote the script specifically as "a vehicle for Juliet Stevenson to express all her talents. She plays piano, likes dancing and has a quirky side to her which she usually can't express in the classical parts she is asked for." The working title for the film was 'Cello', a reference not only to the cello within the film, but also to the Italian word 'cielo' for heaven.

The film was shot in London and Bristol. Stevenson said in 2012 that it was the favourite role of her career.

The film was critically successful, winning several awards including a BAFTA for best original screenplay.

It became a hit in the American arthouse circuit and Minghella subsequently was offered work by every major studio in Hollywood. (The English Patient, 1996, The Talented Mr Ripley, 1999)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truly,_Madly,_Deeply

I hope you're gonna love this film as much as I do, girls. I think I adore just about everything about it, and Juliet Stevenson and Alan Rickman are simply phenomenal, in everything they've ever done.

NurseRatched

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:45 pm

I'd never even heard of this film until you suggested it; sounds great! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm so excited that you girls are gonna watch this for the first time! It's such a soul warmer little blanket. :x

DawnFae

Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:50 am

Very much looking forward to watching this movie. Thank you Dee :x !

NurseRatched

Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:12 am

Well, we ended up binging on "Broadchurch" last night, so tonight is our night to watch Truly, Madly, Deeply.... :x

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Tonite for me too! xoxo

DawnFae

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:58 pm

Tonight is the night :x !

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:04 pm

Dee provided a link, but is there any other way to watch for those who cannot access? I've checked Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu to no avail. The link works for me.

For those using the link: Select select Server 1 and then click the first square (the first still in the upper left-hand corner) and it should start from the beginning.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:53 pm

Thanks, Lori. I hope it will work for everyone. I have not found it anywhere else.

DawnFae

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:15 am

I can only say that the movie was very beautiful, life affirming, incredibly human and deeply spiritual.

Jamie came back because Nina could not let go. She hurt too much and clung to her lost love, lover and all the memories of her life with him yet life cannot stand still and just fizzle away, life brings forth new life and chances at growing, evolving and moving on.

Their love must have been very special, they certainly had a deep connection but they also had their differences and problems like all other people on the planet.

Nina could not let go and Jamie came back, sort of, because she kept calling him from beyond the wall of glass he told her about.
His return as a ghost made her happy again and pulled her out of her depression and the grief that was eating her alive so much so that she did not realize that others loved her and were waiting in the wings for a chance to start a new life with her.

Jamie's return chased away the rats and he began helping her transition from grief to a new understanding and he finally facilitated her moving on to a new life and love. He even started to unclutter the "terrible" flat she moved in after his death, he made her question the idealized picture she made of him and their life together through the pain of her loss. I tend to believe that he was being coached by his ghost friends into helping Nina heal from the pain of his death so that she could finally move on and he could be at peace in his new world.

Witnessing the birth of a baby made Nina realize that she wanted to live and be happy. A new life was what she needed. Jamie made his farewell so beautiful with the Spanish poem. Death of a loved one can be such a devastating experience, loss is painful and yet life will go on giving us new adventures. Love knocks at our door again, more vibrant and more magical than ever.

Grief is the cauldron that makes the magic of a rebirth possible. It is painful but it is also a powerful catalyst for creative change and for opening the heart to love again.

I so enjoyed this movie Dee, thank you for sharing it with us.

I cried and felt for Nina and Jamie but I also danced with them and laughed when she got the chance to say a proper goodbye to him and find a beautiful love with a good, creative man.

I felt a deep sense of closure and delight when she moved out of the old, haunted place leaving behind a happy Jamie. His ghost friends congratulated him as this seemed to be a graduation for him too.

Perhaps Death is just another side of life we just can't see with our physical eyes...

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you for this beautiful piece, Dee. Your intro is also so very interesting and telling about the heart and soul of the film.

The working title for the film was 'Cello', a reference not only to the cello within the film, but also to the Italian word 'cielo' for heaven.

First, any film with the exquisitely melancholy voice of a cello interwoven throughout has me at the opening note. Interestingly, the cello is the instrument that is described as most like the human voice. How appropriate this plays throughout as Jamie's chosen instrument and musical expression, as the sound that captures Nina's ear and speaks of him, and as a nod in its very name to heaven....or sky.

The sky played a role....beyond the glass of the window, blue and billowy. Both Jamie and Nina stared up at it with longing. The clouds, much like stars, showcase from afar things that simply are not there but are represented in the wild and never ending mystery and pull of life itself. The window served as a barrier (his from the beyond and hers with a new life just outside her reach) and then a conduit to freshness and possibility. I found it so fitting that in the end it was through that window Jamie smiled with pleasure that his Beloved had found love and life again, even if laced with the sadness of letting go.

There were some extremely painful moments for me, particularly with the musical interaction. I will remember those moments in my own relationship or, if I leave first, my husband will no doubt. The spontaneous comradry and symbiotic ease and joy - a gift beyond words. The pleasure now for the pain then. Ring any bells? **See Shadowlands

This is a loving film, with the ghost of a loved man gently releasing his wife from the bonds that would deprive her of a full existence without him. The combination of life reaching out, as life does, and these odd bedfellows Jamie brings with him are the perfect pairing for moving forward. Jamie's idiosyncrasies highlighted the 'rose-colored glasses' Nina wore since his death, but truly the essence of him left behind was a rich reduction and aptly honored him. Juliet's depiction of grief while with the psychiatrist was one of the best I've ever seen. Disconsolate. Truly the hell of loss "Abandon all hope..." The veneer fell off like a mask and then snapped into place again, "I am fine. Truly I am."

I found the new love interest a little over the top, but someone else may have found him the perfect man with his hopping enthusiasm. I understand the big heart.

The art of letting go and believing that the future held promise was really a very positive aspect in this film that I felt could be balming even in a divorce situation and losses other than that of a spouse or lover.

I adored this film. A woman I am getting to know and love actually recommended this film just last week as one of the best she'd seen regarding this topic, as she has known more loss than nearly anyone I've met prior. I concur that the price of love is on full display, but the ever tender sprout of life breaks through with the promise that life not only goes on, but love can possibly be found again. That love may look different for different people - perhaps it is immersion in family, grandchildren, friends, or service, but somehow most people retool and find meaning. Still, personally I cannot face the day....

Dee, lovely, Dee...thank you for this beautiful and meaningful experience on a Sunday afternoon. I agree with DF that it was
incredibly human and deeply spiritual. It is quite amazing that the film did not delve much into a definition of an afterlife, but really was spun for the living. I think I'll go look at the sky and wait for my sneezing virus-ridden husband to return home. He'd better not show up with a bevy of friends.

P.S. Rest in peace, Mr. Rickman. You have been a friend to me.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:05 pm

The poem in the film

The Dead Woman

Pablo Neruda

If suddenly you do not exist,
if suddenly you no longer live,
I shall live on.

I do not dare,
I do not dare to write it,
if you die.