Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #4 Shadowlands

DawnFae

Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:46 pm

Beautiful reviews Dee and Lori :x !

I found this article where Douglas Gresham talks about his step father Jack.

While he was alive I never knew "CS Lewis", the name on the spines of the books, for the living, breathing, delightfully talking man who filled my young life with his presence was "Jack".
I loved reading it! Here's the link, enjoy :x :
Trying on the Deep Rose Mz. Lori #CC3366, it is beautiful :58:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2007/ ... is.fiction

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Thanks for sharing this loving recount. Mr. Lewis seems to be the real deal. I got the biggest kick out of this excerpt!

Mother was slightly more widely read than Jack, for she had read what he had read but also the more modern American writers. She also had travelled further, having been to America and returned to England with her progeny in 1953 when her marriage to my father ended. Jack and she married at her deathbed but the hand of God intervened and she rallied, going into a remission of several years, when they had the happiest years of their lives. It was during this time that the physical courage they both possessed was made evident to me. We were walking up the hill into the woods, my mother carrying her little "garden gun", which she used to scare pigeons off our vegetables and trespassers out of our woods, when the two of them, some distance ahead of me, were accosted by a young man with a bow and a quiver of arrows. "Excuse me," said Jack politely, "this is private land and you really shouldn't be here. Would you please leave?" The young man's response was to nock an arrow to the string and draw the bow, pointing it at them. Jack stepped in front of my mother to shield her, and stood there for a few seconds until he heard her say, in tones of chilled steel: "God damn it, Jack, get out of my line of fire!" Whereupon Jack stepped swiftly sideways, leaving the young man staring down the barrel of a gun. He took off rapidly. They were brave, and Jack thereafter needed to be, for Mother went on before him, leaving him alone to deal with her absence.

NurseRatched

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm

Looking forward to watching this weekend; it's going to be my treat to myself :58:

DawnFae

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:45 pm

Yeah! Same here Lori, that passage was like a balm to a bruised heart :73: !
Despite the pain and the grief there is also joy and solace in such memories because we know it was a strong and beautiful love and we know that it kept living and giving on to many people! WOW!

And as you said Lori love has many faces and aspects: his adopted son is still remembering Joy his mother, Jack her devoted husband and soul mate and their love. The extended family and the love they were blessed with is yet another proof of love's eternal touch and truth. Amen!

:x

What a beautiful and inspiring story and an adventure that spans many life times :x !

DawnFae

Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:46 pm

NurseRatched wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:39 pm
Looking forward to watching this weekend; it's going to be my treat to myself :58:
Enjoy NR and come back please to share your insights and feelings with us :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:04 pm

What a brilliant find, DF, Douglas' tribute, very enjoyable and moving read. I especially loved the excerpt you've quoted here too, Lori. I wish they'd put that scene in the woods in the film!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:25 pm

A very enjoyable reflection, Mz Lori. Lovely to imagine your young boy reading The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe... like yourself, once upon a time. I read it myself as an adult for the first time.

Great photographs, and yes, it would be very interesting to peep into Joy's letters and poetry. Also very intrigued by Lewis' book on grief.

I am with you all that the scene where boy and man break down together had me fighting tears and not succeeding very well. Of course, my husband leans forward to examine my face right after. Promptly stuck me tongue out did I (spoken like Eliza Doolittle). I find tongues are generally good for diffusing nearly any emotional situation...

This has made me smile. I could just imagine it.
So sweet. (My husband loves to check too. He'd ask "Are you blubbing?" But he's no stranger to some "blubbing" himself. :roll: )

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:17 am

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:19 am

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:24 am

NurseRatched

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:51 am

Deep rose it is.... What a lovely film! I really enjoyed it; I will watch Anthony Hopkins in just about anything. Imagine being a screenwriter & you find out your lines will be delivered by this incredible actor! At first, I was very put off by Debra Winger in the role of Joy. The East Coast accent seemed to come and go. But eventually, I fell into this unique love story & she was indeed perfectly cast.

I love reading all your comments; you all seem to have the gift of review and reflection &
express yourselves so beautifully. I can't add much. Fascinating to me that these two found each other in the first place. He seems so content in his buttoned-up, academic life that nothing could roust him. I think DF mentioned that she suspected Joy's manner, being more direct and open, was born out of broken marriage to an alcoholic cheater. No BS, indeed! I loved the intellect in her character; can you imagine what her marriage was like? And how did serving in WW I shape "Jacksie's" character? Slowly, Joy "opens his eyes"
to love and deep companionship. But what a sad movie!! I didn't cry...well, maybe a little.

"Experience is a brutal teacher. But you learn -- my God, you learn."

NurseRatched

Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:52 am

I also intend to find this book on grief; agree that it's quite ironic people were pushing him to read it, when he is actually the author!

• Information