Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Movie #2 The African Doctor

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:13 am

Movie #2

The African Doctor

~ September 22 Thru Whenever

Available on Netflix.

NurseRatched

Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:12 am

The African Doctor 2016 ‘Bienvenue à Marly-Gomont’ Directed by Julien Rambaldi

A French film originally titled Bienvenue a Marly-Gomont, The African Doctor tells the true story of Seyolo Zantoko, a Congolese native and his struggles to serve as a doctor in a small French village in order to obtain French nationality and to expose his family to wider world. SUBTITLES IN ENGLISH.

SYNOPSIS:

The tale begins as Seyolo graduates from a French medical school. He is offered a prestigious job in his homeland of Zaire/Congo working for a corrupt government official. Despite the money and the perks attached to this position, he has heard instead of a small French village which has been seeking a doctor for its citizens for many years with no success. He decides to take this job in the hopes that it will allow him to become a French citizen. When phoning home with the good news to his wife and children, the family is thrilled due to the mistaken impression that his job is in Paris. Needless to say, they are all in for a shock when they arrive in France and find themselves feeling like fish out of water, in a very rural community full of people who are not happy that their new doctor and his family are black foreigners. Dr. Zantoko doesn't give up hope that he can make a beautiful life for his family and win over the villagers.

The film is set in the 1970's; the actors portraying the good doctor and family are wonderful! I am sure there is some artistic bending & exaggeration of the true story, but I found the film cheerful and charming. The overriding themes of perseverance, expectation vs. reality, miscommunication and racism are handled with humor and humanity. The depiction of the marriage seemed especially real to me. The time period and setting of this film particularly intrigued me! Most people are familiar with America’s struggles with racism and the cultural differences among the races during the seventies. But, I am not as familiar with how other countries viewed these same issues during this time period.

I am definitely not as adept at posing questions or delivering analysis. I would welcome further thoughts or experiences after others have seen the movie!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:24 am

A very appetising and efficient introduction and review to the movie, Mz NR! Thank you very much for the recommendation, my husband and I enjoyed this film a lot last night.

Sure, it was most certainly the light hearted and comically enhanced version of the true story, but it had some genuinely touching moments, when we were allowed a little glimpse at the real depth of the hardship and heartache this lovely family had been through, trying to make a life for themselves in this hostile environment.

I would agree that the depiction of the marriage was pretty convincing. From the whining and nagging and the practically hysterical reactions of the wife down to the tender moments when the roles got reversed, and she was lovingly supporting her husband when he was beginning to lose faith. It wasn't a particularly good marriage to begin with, there was a lack of honesty and communication, but eventually they seemed to find their way to each other. There were very sweet moments between the children and their father too. Those two kids were just wonderful.

I particularly enjoyed how the prejudice was not just one way. Much as the ignorant villagers were ridiculously racist, our sweet Doctor was just as singleminded about the only right way to succeed in life which was exclusively through education. He simply wouldn't even allow himself to consider the possibility that his daughter could find her own way to establish herself and follow her own dreams. So he had his own journey to overcome his own brand of prejudices.

My absolute favourite part of the film was the little show the children have put on for the adults on the day of the election to present them with some home truths.

I also enjoyed the gospel takeover in the church, (bit random choice to do it with Silent Night of all songs :57:) and the facial expressions of the church organist going with the flow and jazzing things up!

So despite the fact a lot of hard issues were somewhat cushioned by the chosen genre and resolved very quickly in the end, I have found this film quite charming and some images will sure stay with me.

Thank you very much for the recommendation, Mz NR! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:53 am

Interesting tidbits:

The film was co-written by Kamini, the son of Seyolo.

He also wrote a song about his experience:

Marly-Gomont" is the first single by French "agricultural" rapper Kamini, recorded in 2006. The song is Kamini's ode to the small, rural village in Northern France where he grew up, Marly-Gomont. In the song, Kamini laments being from the only black family in town. The song became a number-one single in France.

Translation of the lyrics:

http://lyricstranslate.com/en/marly-gom ... omont.html

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:17 am

One more thought.

I liked that despite the comedy genre and somewhat sentimental tone of the film the transition of accepting Seyolo by the villagers was markedly staggered, addressing some deeper issues of racism:

First they accepted Seyolo as a drinking and darts buddy in the pub. But they still wouldn't go to his surgery. Accepting him as a doctor seemed still too far fetched! Of course these prejudices sprouting from ignorance run so deep, that what Kamini says in that song is sadly remains the truth for so many: "I don't like blacks. I like you. I like you even though you're black." How many black people do some white people need to like before the conviction of the first statement would collapse?

NurseRatched

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:32 am

I am glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your additional information about Kamini; I read that he was a psychiatric nurse. Because of the song he wrote about the village, he was eventually able to leave nursing for music full-time.

Sure, it was most certainly the lighthearted and comically enhanced version of the true story, but it had some genuinely touching moments, when we were allowed a little glimpse at the real depth of the hardship and heartache this lovely family had been through, trying to make a life for themselves in this hostile environment.

I agree on the heartache & depth of the hardship. In spite of the doctor's sunny outlook, his family seemed to really suffer in the village. The kids had it tough at school; the scene of the first day was hard to watch (I thought the child actors did an amazing job-great performances, not over the top). The kids managed a brave face in light of the insults and taunting. His wife was less subtle! I liked what you said, Dee, about the prejudice swinging both ways. Anne (his wife) was appalled at the thought of living in the tiny, backwoods village ("It's worse than Zaire!!"); she didn't hide her prejudice & really let the townspeople have it a couple of times. After all, she thought she was headed for the glamorous life of a Parisian doctor's wife! (I guess if he'd have discussed it with her, his dream of gaining citizenship & raising the kids in France would have been shattered. I wonder if the real life situation was like this-did he really not explain that they were moving to a tiny village? I would have been furious, too!)

I thought it was interesting that the villagers were not overtly racist, unlike the kids at school. As the doctor is trying to fit in at the pub, their affection grows for him, but still no patients. I loved the part in the film where Anne's family arrives during a solemn memorial-too funny. Yes, and Silent Night as a spirited gospel number?! LOL. How the family persevered is beyond me. He really wasn't there to make a point about racism; he was pretty single-minded about raising his kids in France & giving the family a better life.

I read that this movie plays as a love letter from son to father. It's a sweet story with some hilarious moments!

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:40 am

Going to watch tonight or tomorrow before reading the above. Looking forward to it!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:09 am

That's so interesting what you've written about Kamini, that he was a psychiatric nurse, then this song was the one that propelled his music career. The music video has something like 5.5 million hits. So, he had his education, like his father would have wanted him to, but eventually his creative side was the one that has won out. Watching lots of tv, devising a play as a child, and then creating his art: music/film based upon his life experiences.

It's interesting that despite the father's opposition to any non-educational activities, the children persevered to follow their dreams, just like their father did.

The children's racism is a fascinating topic. Some of it of course is brought from home. Conditioned way of thinking. But it's also innate to treat unknown things with caution, suspicion, and to ridicule things that are different, putting them down as a way of coping with potential threat. It's important to note that the children weren't just cruel to the black kids. They were horrid to the ones with spectacles, the girl with the rash...
We're the adults much better? I don't think so. Perhaps some were less verbal/open about it, but there were some very uncomfortable parts to watch, such as the birthing scene, when the women's hysterical aversion was just hideous. Even though this was then turned around as a source of comedy (using her words of abuse as a means of focus to push) it was still painful to watch.

NurseRatched

Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:49 am

Truly! The birthing scene...and the doctor remained so focused in spite of the venom she was spitting out. It made me feel as if the village just didn't deserve him.

And I loved how he cared for the little girl! So sweet to see her friendship w/the son & his faith that his dad would help her.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Yes, that was a sweet story within! Also how all the "outcasts" pulled together. The black kid's friendship with the spotty girl; the black girl making up a football team with the lil'uns, fatties and four-eyes...

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Hey Kids - watched it last night and enjoyed it. I found it endearing in a kitsch sort of way, suspecting that Kamini's touch sometimes detracted from the presentation due to inexperience. Perhaps under a different director's hands some of this would have been fixed for me. Generally, it was nice little ride and fun to watch on a hot Saturday night with a huge piece of chocolate cake...

Pretty cool that from those roots this movie has emerged. That is impressive in and of itself. It must be wonderful to bring to life the story of your father - a man with a mission and unique outlook on life and success. I found myself wondering how Seyolo himself would tell it. Certainly, there were comical stories passed down through the family. We know how these take on different timbres as times passes and humor infiltrates, either because it genuinely was humorous or because we must at times put that overlay on some things that are too painful to process otherwise. It is a challenge to balance and blend humor with tough issues, toggling between the comedic and instructive.

As always, loved the child actors across the board. Beautiful little humans telling an interesting story. Marc Zinga was wonderful as Seyolo with his expressive performance. I thought he was cast so very well.

"The overriding themes of perseverance, expectation vs. reality, miscommunication and racism are handled with humor and humanity."

I agree that the prevailing issues were handled well, with humor and a nod to the fact each and every person is a product of their upbringing, environment, and level of exposure to others and ideas.

Seyolo's giving and positive spirit was a thing to behold. Of course, being his wife would present challenges, yes? We all know Anne had already most likely gone through hell raising two children while her husband was embroiled in medical school. Then...WHAT?! Did she truly have no idea where they were going, I wonder? Plus, the movie did not make clear he had two choices only. He was not relegated to a small town due to lack of other options, if I recall. The fact Anne stayed with him is a testimony either to general exhaustion, fierce loyalty, or love. I don't think I could have done that to my children. I liked the pluck Anne showed in holding her head high and diving in.

Unlike you lovely ladies (or perhaps it is me who is exhausted today), I really really disliked the birthing scene. I found it contrived and it didn't work for me in the humor department. I wonder how that actually went down. I am not a fan of birthing scenes in general, so perhaps that is my problem here.

In reading Kamini's lyrics, it does not seem to me to be the eventual sweet embrace the movie depicted. He has deep and continuing angst regarding the town and his upbringing. However, how could he not? Even under the best circumstances, if people were loving and welcoming and nurturing, to be the single family of your own race in a town would deny you so much and be hard to accept along the way, particularly with your relatives showing up and showcasing perhaps what could be missing in your day to day life. The feeling of being different and less than persists.

Thanks for the movie, Mz. NR. I think this story is worth telling and it was acted very well by all. A smile on the weekend...

NurseRatched

Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:04 pm

Glad you liked it, Lori! And that's what it is, a nice little ride.. not too deep or heavy.
I found myself wondering how Seyolo himself would tell it. Certainly, there were comical stories passed down through the family. We know how these take on different timbres as times passes and humor infiltrates, either because it genuinely was humorous or because we must at times put that overlay on some things that are too painful to process otherwise. It is a challenge to balance and blend humor with tough issues, toggling between the comedic and instructive.

Really good points. The story is told through the eyes of a child-turned-adult & you do have to wonder how his parents would recall the events. And how much artistic/humorous spin is woven in. It entertained me!

And what you wrote about Kamini as an adult musician is so telling. Very true that the angst obviously still resides within. Anne calling Seyolo selfish really rings true when you consider the fallout his family experienced.

Thanks, ladies, for your thoughtful observations of this movie! I am just not used to doing a post-mortem on books or movies, so this is all very new. A work in progress, I am :lol:

• Information