Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Smithereens - 5x02

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:51 pm

Smithereens

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:16 pm

Oh thank god Charlie Brooker, finally an excellent episode amongst the Season 5 offerings. Suspenseful, and brilliantly acted by the wonderful Andrew Scott. A powerful story, with comical moments that didn't detract from the drama. I can't fault it on anything. I was fully engaged, moved, and I appreciated the clear message of the episode. Can't be repeated enough. Smartphones are as much a curse as a blessing in our lives. And it never fails to terrify me how much social media companies know about people. They know more than the police. They know everything.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 am

This was a very well-acted and intelligently written episode. My flip-phone husband was nearly sighing in ecstasy and needed a cigarette when it was over. It is amazing how frog-in-pot we are on so many issues. We know social medial is unsustainable and broadly invasive, plus physically dangerous. No doubt billboards are on their way out and temporary sidewalk ads will appear while everyone is looking down. Another false outcry while the masses imbibe. I'm nearly ready to abandon FB, yet I haven't done so yet. Why? My Social Security # was used recently to try to obtain employment. Still... online a-shopping-I-go. Easy to give up the ghost, isn't it?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

I feel social media and phone addiction is one of those things that will need to get completely out of control before people will truly be ready to rebel against it and bring it down in its current format. I think we are not far off.

I was just watching Carpool Karaoke yesterday with Ed Shearan, and it was so refreshing to hear him talk about completely shutting himself away from social media, and he doesn't even have a phone anymore. Email is the only way to communicate with him, apparently. :57:

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:31 pm

"Frog-in-pot" seems to be a theme running through our lives right now, doesn't it? Black Mirror, The Handmaid's Tale all heavily concerned with this phenomena.

• Information