Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Black Museum - 4x06

DawnFae

Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:56 am

A woman enters the Black Museum, where the proprietor tells her stories relating to the artifacts.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

Oof. The premise of this show was very good. I enjoyed the young actress. The story was good and I liked the first half, but after it was too long and too strange for me. I really didn't like the episode much. There were some really foreign and forward thinking concepts, but the execution (literally) was too much for me, bulky, redundant and a bit sick.

I find this season of Black Mirror to be a bit different than the last. Rather than cerebral interesting twists, it seems a lot more...just twisted. I find this season hard to recommend with exception of a couple of USS Callister and Hang the DJ (even that is hard to recommend because of the sex sex sex - I don't think I'm a prude, but it was a bit overdone imho and could have been as effective or more effective with less ), Metalhead was interesting for the twists in the A.I. aspect. I could leave the rest and find hard to recommend. There. Now to you all....

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:43 pm

It's the fourth episode I've watched from the new season. Loved USS Callister, enjoyed Hang the DJ and thought Arkangel was very good and thought provoking. So I would definitely recommend those, though I agree that the sex was a bit overdone in Hang the DJ. :-D But I think that was exactly the point they were making. :57:

So this episode... I couldn't watch it all. I had to look away when the screwed up doctor started mutililating himself for shits and giggles and definitely didn't want to see what he did to that homeless person.
And yes, the repeated execution, again, we got the message. We didn't need to see it over and over. I guess, at least there was a purpose to that, to drive the point home about the relentlessness of his torture. But yeah. We got it. It was a satisfying twist that this sick bastard, who was so cavalier about other people's consciousness and suffering, got his comeuppance, and there were definitely some funny parts. I don't know what to make of it. It was pulling me in all sorts of directions.

This thing about violence, cruelty, torture... we have talked about it before. Even in a show like The Handmaid's Tale, that really didn't need the extras thrown in. It seems like even some of the best producers have concluded that the audiences need more stimulus on this front because they've become desensitised. This is of course just pushing the boundaries further and further and who knows where the line will be drawn soon, or if there will be any lines left to draw. It's terrifying.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I will have to come back when I've seen the last two episodes for an overall season assessment.
I've got a feeling that I've already seen the best ones.

NurseRatched

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 pm

I agree with all of your comments. We kept looking at each other, saying, "What is this?!" The only parts I liked were the young actress and the twist where she was there to avenge her father's death and exploitation. That's all folks!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:21 am

We just rewatched the very end to see again how the three stories tie together. We couldn't find a connection to the first one, the doctor's story.
But it was quite a fun little twist to learn right at the very end that the mother's consciousness was embedded into the daughter's.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 am

Lori wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:43 am

I find this season of Black Mirror to be a bit different than the last. Rather than cerebral interesting twists, it seems a lot more...just twisted. I find this season hard to recommend with exception of a couple of USS Callister and Hang the DJ (even that is hard to recommend because of the sex sex sex - I don't think I'm a prude, but it was a bit overdone imho and could have been as effective or more effective with less ), Metalhead was interesting for the twists in the A.I. aspect. I could leave the rest and find hard to recommend. There. Now to you all....

I liked the season. I thought all the episodes were pretty good. USS Callister is the outstanding episode of the lot for me, and the one I'd be most likely to rewatch, along with Hang the DJ. Both of these episodes were thoroughly entertaining.

Arkangel was excellent and the most thought provoking of th lot. Metalhead was very dark but brilliantly done.

Crocodile and Black Museum were a tad too far fetched for me, yet compelling to watch.

So if I had to put them in order, that would be mine.

• Information