Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Hang the DJ - 4x04

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:22 am

Paired up by a dating programme that puts an expiration date on all relationships, Amy and Frank soon begin to question the system's logic.

NurseRatched

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:05 am

Happy one of my favorite songs from The Smiths made a cameo...

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:46 am

Indeed! Fun context!
And what did you make of the episode, Mz NR?
We watched it last night, enjoyed it a lot. I believe it's the one upbeat episode of the season, and we will have to brace ourselves for the rest.

I always enjoy the twists at the end of the Black Mirror episodes and this one was a pleasant one. Knowing that our people haven't ACTUALLY been through all these experiences.

It's a strange concept to contemplate though, whether it would be (will be?) possible to match people with such high success rate based on their personal data?

Another question is whether an app gets you together with your perfect match, will it not take some of the fun out of finding that out for yourself?

NurseRatched

Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:17 pm

We liked it too & it was a relief after "Crocodile" and "Arkangel" (although I really enjoyed all, those took a much darker path).

I thought it was brilliant & a joy. Nice twist at the end! The premise seemed pretty appealing-an app that hooks you up with multiple dates, promising a finale that pairs you with the true love of your life. Dating for millenials-no muss, no fuss, no thought :72: There's zero "rejection" (unless you count running away, top speed, at the end of your allotted time together!) and by peeking at the expiry date, you don't have to expend too much energy for a 12 hour date. I didn't quite understand why he was stuck with old what's her name for a year, while Amy had "date after date" (or to be blunt, a limitless amount of sex!). I really liked the two main characters. So, I think the ending meant that they were actually playing a series of simulation games (and almost always ending up rebelling & leaving the game for love) and eventually, the bigger overarching app paired them up. Really clever.

It's a strange concept to contemplate though, whether it would be (will be?) possible to match people with such high success rate based on their personal data? I just don't buy it. Compatibility & love are so complex; Mike and I don't share a ton of the same interests, but a few vital ones. There are too many shades and layers, right?

And would it take the fun out of finding your perfect match? Absolutely, but it would also fast-forward all the total horrors and zeroes. I may go for it if I were older and single, though, just to save time. Being married for so long to the perfect person tilts my perspective a bit!

What were your thoughts, Dee?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:01 pm

We have yet to brave the other episodes, easing ourselves into the world of Black Mirror again. Arkangel tonight, I think.

So... a great episode, but I thought the it could have been just a bit longer or less time spent showing the other pairings and more time building Amy and Frank's connection.

There are some connections here to San Junipero, but I have felt that in that episode we got to be a lot more invested into the characters.
To be frank, though I thought both Amy and Frank were adorable, I didn't really get their connection after that first date. I got why he would like her, but not quite why she wouldn't like him so much.
But the consequent meetings and the longing whilst they were with others... they were done well.

I don't think that the two of them played out these simulations, I think the dating app "central" played them out based on their data, and we only really met the real Amy and Frank in the last moment. The rest was all happening inside computers without Any and Frank knowing anything about it.

I agree, that it must be incredibly hard to create near perfect matches by computers, but surely it depends how much and what kinda data they have at their disposal. If they have access to everything... Facebook, emails, etc, like in "I'll be right back" then they can potentially build a pretty comprehensive profile. I think such personality based profile would be a lot more helpful in matching people than anything created based upon "common interests" or self-descriptions.

NurseRatched

Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Good points, all. I think Amy liked Frank's playful nature and easy manner; she didn't really have that kind of connection with any of the other dates.

I don't think that the two of them played out these simulations, I think the dating app "central" played them out based on their data, and we only really met the real Amy and Frank in the last moment. The rest was all happening inside computers without Any and Frank knowing anything about it. Huh, that's a possibility. Glad you brought it up; I just considered my version. Yours seems more plausible!

I don't know anything (obviously) about dating match sites; I have a few friends who've tried them & just given up. I wonder how they formulate matches? Do they calculate strictly from what the potential person inputs on their profile or does it draw from all social media?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 pm

A very good friend of mine is just trying her luck with one of these dating agencies. The applicants put up their own profiles, and then the agency makes suggestions.

Problems with the system:

1. A lot of people don't ACTUALLY know themselves very well.

2. A lot of people LIE.

Most telephone conversations prior to first dates are spent with corrections of the misrepresentations of "truths" on the profiles. Such as names, ages, health issues...

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:00 pm

Great episode! I hadn't contemplated that the couple were never truly experiencing the other matches, but rather the computer was doing a test run. Hmm... I like that as it sanitizes some of the awkward moments. I really like this actress - she kind of made the show for me. The actor was good too, but I didn't feel the chemistry much. Aside from that, what a fun concept! Why do you all think it discombobulated the system when Frank stepped out and looked at their time together?

Regarding dating sites, my niece met her husband on one and they are happy campers with 3 kiddos. I actually know a few people who've successfully found a partner. I have no idea how, in lieu of the very important points Dee pointed out (1) no one really sees themselves clearly, and (2) people lie! Interesting point also, NR, that often the best relationships happen between two very dissimilar people with wildly diverse interests. I suppose there are certain sites better at matches with fail-safe questions, etc., that reveal more of someone's true nature.

Boy, did we see some abs this episode or what? The episode did serve to point out that a skilled lover does not necessarily a treasured life partner make, nor do other single qualities we all seem to pine for at one time or another. Now, if you can combine a few of these A-list qualities, life has been doubly good to you!!

It was good to have an upbeat episode, as my husband and I did watch Metalhead. Oh my! Good luck PICs....

NurseRatched

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 pm

First of all, I am SO HAPPY TO BE IN HERE. Whew, that was scary! I actually had to focus on work and family! :72:

Second, what in the heck is a PIC?! I've seen you use it before...

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:06 am

PIC= Partners In Crime... :72:

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:11 am

I hadn't contemplated that the couple were never truly experiencing the other matches, but rather the computer was doing a test run. Hmm... I like that as it sanitizes some of the awkward moments.

Yes, that was a huge relief. :57: Also made all the seemingly pointless fruitless long test couplings less excruciating. Imagine wasting so much time for real!

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 am

Why do you all think it discombobulated the system when Frank stepped out and looked at their time together?

I think that was basically just another test, to see how they would react?

I was also thinking, it probably had a deeper meaning, as in a cautionary warning: when you keep thinking about the end of something, and you're constantly conscious of how quickly time flies, it diminishes your enjoyment of the here and now.

• Information