Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Nosedive - 3x01

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:07 am

Eagerly awaiting Season 4 of this fantastic series (any day now...), NurseRatched is busy catching up on some old episodes, and I thought it would be lovely to join her.

"Nosedive" is the first episode of the third series of British science fiction anthology series Black Mirror, available on Netflix.

The episode is set in a world where people can rate each other from one to five stars for every interaction they have.

NurseRatched

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm

Alright. Even the pastel color of your text is disturbing me. This episode was grossly familiar, and I say grossly meaning I recognized myself in there! Yuck! (thankfully, I see myself more in the salty truck driver who doesn't give a flying rat's ass about ratings...that contrast between an older and younger woman--is that a natural progression for most women?)

Who doesn't love to be loved? We all want to belong. You know what I mean? Now with Facebook and Instagram & the immediacy of feedback, it feels as if our DNA is shifting and not for the betterment of mankind. This episode could be our future, because our present is speeding towards this onslaught of instant gratification/recognition and maybe even segregation. I am short on time this afternoon, but let me quickly add that Lacie's glorious descent into "ONE STAR LAND" was fabulous!! :72: More cohesive thoughts later.....

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:32 pm

This was an amazing episode and a woefully scary harbinger for the future. This is an updated pure science fiction piece in that it forecasts where we are headed...quickly. Snap judgments, hurried responses, and societal hierarchy...just YUCK!!! This reflects the worst in us, doesn't it?

Case in point: I recently found my name on a website with tons of information about me: My current address and last three addresses, family associated with me, how much I paid for my house, the average income of my neighborhood, my estimated income, my shopping preferences, my interests based on my searches and online shopping, etc., etc. For a small fee, people can get further information on me. It is incredibly intrusive and comprehensive. I am going through my Lifelock account to get my name and my family's names taken off of this site, as I am afraid to try to do it myself and have them know truly I am a real person and further sell my information, ip address, etc. BTW, they scored me a 4.7 out of 5.0. Perhaps if my teeth were straighter, I would have gotten a 5.0. Who knows?

The kids coming up have no qualms about sharing their information, even their current location, etc. This will backfire, folks, as it will be used in a myriad of unacceptable ways. Our 'likes' and 'dislikes' will lead to a variety of 'big brothers' tracking our every move and will indeed affect us in some way shape or form.

BTW I give you all and your posts a 5+ thumbs up!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:42 pm

What the hell, Lori, is that for real? I'm horrified that they have all this information already compiled on you, and that there is even an offer for further information for a fee? This is terrifying. Not only that but they have actually bloody SCORED you? Omg, we are already living inside The Black Mirror.

I've just rewatched the episode. It's so very well made. I love Lacy's every single outburst from the very first to the inarticulate screaming at the end. It's just so liberating, I was cheering her on for every new bit of freedom she was gaining, until she finally succumbed to the relief she didn't have to give a flying monkey any more.

But seriously, it is a horrifying episode considering how close we are already to this world. Interestingly, when Lori and I were setting up this forum, we wondered about the lack of "like" and "applause" features and decided it was for the best, and we shouldn't have them even if we could, because they only create trouble. Instead we actually talk to each other more, and it's great.

I dislike this feature on FaceBook so much. I'm not a fan of the whole institute to be honest, I only use it for work and the Messenger. I have heard people describing others with how many friends they have on FB... I see how much people stress about followers and likes on tumblr. And the stuff people put up on social media and you're supposed to "like"! Things like "cookie heaven"! What is the world coming to?

Of course this awful scoring system that grants you privileges or imposes restrictions on your life, that's just a ridiculously heightened version of what's always gone down in the world. There were always the "cool kids", the "popular" people, the socialites, who had special treatment, exclusive cliques, invites, privileges... There were always social outcasts, judgements on appearance, class stigmas, etc. All of this is not a new thing, it's just a grotesque and exaggerated new manifestation of what's been always going on.

How much fake behaviour are we already stomaching every day! All the empty "Have a nice day!" "You're all right?" "And how are you today?" Crikey. How many times do I smile at people every day when I actually need to make a conscious effort to do so? And is that a bad thing that I do comply? Oh, we are already trapped in so many ways into acceptable social behaviour, when we'd much rather slump and grump and scream internally at having to make small talk.

This is a super challenging episode. And gives a very positive and enjoyable message at the end.

Truck Lady is our hero, right?

PS: Font colour chosen especially for the subject matter and to delight Mz NR. :x

NurseRatched

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 pm

THE PINK RETURNS

NurseRatched

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 pm

Oh, we are already trapped in so many ways into acceptable social behaviour, when we'd much rather slump and grump and scream internally at having to make small talk.

This is a super challenging episode. And gives a very positive and enjoyable message at the end.
Completely agree. I just hate small talk. I really crave authenticity in my interactions, but I'm not super aggressive at seeking friendships to get to that point. I think that's why my husband was thoroughly disturbed by this one; he is about as kind and sensible as they come. That world the episode portrayed looked like hell to him! :57: I do enjoy Facebook, but primarily because my best friends in the world live 1500 miles away; it allows me into their day to day, plus it's a great place to keep in touch with distant family. There's a lot of empty, hollow, robotic elements to Facebook. But just about when I was about to abandon it because of the current political/social climate, along came the Harbour. So here we are-a bunch of Truck Driver Ladies :039:
The kids coming up have no qualms about sharing their information, even their current location, etc. This will backfire, folks, as it will be used in a myriad of unacceptable ways. Our 'likes' and 'dislikes' will lead to a variety of 'big brothers' tracking our every move and will indeed affect us in some way shape or form.
That's so unbelievably scary, Lori! You are such a computer wizard, could I figure out how to access that for my family? And yes, when I see the things kids post, I just cringe. So dangerous. So harmful & insidious--and they are completely sold on it! Frightens me to death. I think we're heading for destruction.

I have to say that all these Black Mirror episodes are so well done & just really smart entertainment. The way this episode was crafted, with the Pepto-Bismol PINK world and all the fakey interactions to boost a rating...what a trip.

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 pm

mylife.com There are tons of sites like this, but this was the worst I'd seen myself on.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:11 am

Oh my sweet lord. I've just had a look at the home page of that site. I honesty didn't know that this was already happening on such a grand scale!
Bloody hell! This makes me want to be hurricane fire and locked up in a little grey cell shouting abuse and Sunday morning with organised drawers just to feel some level of control, all at once.

The kids sharing location... I've just found out that Snapchat has this feature, that allows you to track people's activities (those who have allowed to share their location). You can see a little cartoon character of them on a map doing sports or sleeping or partying... I think a lot of people might not even realise that this feature can be turned off. It's a tricky business with so many of these social media sites interlinked on your phone, and when you need to use Satnav you must share your location. It really is a dangerous swamp. Makes you wonder about The Handmaid's Tale... how quickly "they" can get you, with all this information out there.

I feel an irresistible need to organise some drawers...

I understand why FB can be a good way to keep in touch, but somehow I cringe from it. Because so many people want to be your "friends" (god only knows why, I can't imagine most of them of would really be interested in my life that much) I'm at aloof what I would actually put up on it, so I just don't use it, except for my choir page. I love the Messenger though, and use it a lot. The group chat feature is great. But it's private. Or so I believe... :shock: Is there anything private these days?

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Season 4 will be available on Netflix from 29 December, girls!

NurseRatched

Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:21 am

• Information