Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

1x03 'Because I Could Not Stop For Death'

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:12 pm

The government struggles to contain and understand the outbreak. Kaylee interviews Luther's ex-wife while Danika pays her sister a visit.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm

So - this episode feels a bit rushed. I'm thinking Luther killing his wife should have been given a bit more breadth. Even though we've seen Ian act with just his eyes when John Gilbert staked Anna in TVD, it was a bit thin here. Yes, he is in shock for many reasons and the future of the entire planet hangs in the balance, but I feel they could have incorporated just a wee more mourning...perhaps a memory or a lovely picture from the past bringing him to unbearable sorrow. V-Wars is in danger of drawing the characters with pencil lead rather than 3-D color. We must care about characters to care about their loss, love, life, wins, losses... you get the picture.

They are hurriedly telling the story because they have too few episodes to communicate the events and people, skipping over salient or poignant situations and instead introducing....drum roll...annoying biker types with control issues. Yawn.

What I like: Ian is doing fine, but I wish he would use a contraction or two. "I don't want you to kiss that vampire!" versus "I do not want you to kiss that vampire." It is too formal and written.

I am mildly interested in the sister story and feel that will lead somewhere important. The actress playing the blond sister is very good. Sry - names escape me.

I always like a brother bond, but this depiction is a bit saccharine. I wish it were more subtle with body language rather than the English language....and NOT the head to head in the bed type.

I will say the episodes are a bit better for some reason on second watch! It isn't cringeworthy and is better than a lot of Netflix series or shows. The visuals remain fascinating.

What do you think of Nikki's character/performance? Hmm?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am

Lori wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:56 pm
So - this episode feels a bit rushed. I'm thinking Luther killing his wife should have been given a bit more breadth. Even though we've seen Ian act with just his eyes when John Gilbert staked Anna in TVD, it was a bit thin here. Yes, he is in shock for many reasons and the future of the entire planet hangs in the balance, but I feel they could have incorporated just a wee more mourning...perhaps a memory or a lovely picture from the past bringing him to unbearable sorrow. V-Wars is in danger of drawing the characters with pencil lead rather than 3-D color. We must care about characters to care about their loss, love, life, wins, losses... you get the picture.

Completely agree. There were openings, but somehow he always got interrupted and not allowed space to grieve. Surely this should have deserved a minute out of the action, to get people care more about Luther. Not everyone cares straight off just because we see Damon inside Luther. :roll:

I also think the relationship between Luther and his son is not at all engaging and the backstory of the mother's mental health issues is very sketchy at this point. Don't much care for the writing here.

They are hurriedly telling the story because they have too few episodes to communicate the events and people, skipping over salient or poignant situations and instead introducing....drum roll...annoying biker types with control issues. Yawn.

Oh, no, not the bikers. Totally tedious. What's their point? Will they became some sort of vigilante group? Are we supposed to care?

What I like: Ian is doing fine, but I wish he would use a contraction or two. "I don't want you to kiss that vampire!" versus "I do not want you to kiss that vampire." It is too formal and written.

He will loosen up, I'm sure. I like that he swears.

I am mildly interested in the sister story and feel that will lead somewhere important. The actress playing the blond sister is very good. Sry - names escape me.

Isn't she dead? Or was the brunette sister just imagining killing her blonde sister? I should pay more attention?

I always like a brother bond, but this depiction is a bit saccharine. I wish it were more subtle with body language rather than the English language....and NOT the head to head in the bed type.

All we had in this episode was a phone message of sympathy and a quick call of warning in the realms of interacion between Luther and Mike. I hope we get more in the next episode. I can't imagine where this is all going between them, especially with the DNS trying to destroy him.

I will say the episodes are a bit better for some reason on second watch! It isn't cringeworthy and is better than a lot of Netflix series or shows. The visuals remain fascinating.

I like some aspects, but find others very annoying. How on earth the authorities are still trying to blame all murders on one person? How on earth they're sending out police force, including women, after Fayne without combat gear? Is Luther free to come and go or not? One minute he is, the next he isn't. Confusing. I think I'm just going to go with the flow here, because quite frankly there's not much point trying to make sense of any of this. :roll:

What do you think of Nikki's character/performance? Hmm?

Quite frankly I thought it was terrible. To be fair to her, she was given a really shitty script, and to play a bipolar character (I think, this is her condition?) who swings from one mood to the opposite in a space of a minute requires phenomenal acting skills even with excellent writing. We had neither here. How about you? What did you think?

And how about the little lad who plays the son? I'm afraid I really dislike him.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 pm

Nikki just kind of smelled - that is the only way to put it. I will gauge my reaction on second watch. Again, I'm just not feeling sympathetic towards these characters. Is she truly bipolar ? And was her story about Luther simply to get him to connect, rather than any mild truth? A desperate mom, sure.

I, too, am not bonding to the son. Plus, the father/son thing seems too gratuitous. A head hug too many and not as much true togetherness. Still, I've seen worse. :)

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:17 pm

My interpretation based on seeing only this much is that she's bipolar, and saying stuff like Luther manipulated her etc was her illness talking, and trying to get back at him. But who knows. In episode 2, I'm pretty sure the son was begging the psychiatrist not to contact his mother, because she was trouble. Then in Episode 3 he's begging his father that he could see his mother. :sign0085:

I agree that the key to a great father and son bond is not repeated hugs. Hugs are important, yes, but can't replace warmth that need to come from simple ordinary interactions too.

Three episodes in I'm still on the opinion, that the redeeming feature of this show is the moments when I get Damon vibes from Luther. Onwards though. Someone said the last scene of the last episode will blow my mind. I'm looking forward to that! :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:55 pm

I was wondering if the young boy was trying to protect his mom, having seen his step-mom go berserk and get staked. Yet, it was nebulous as it did seem he didn't want more crazy walking in.

I'm in agreement regarding the best part of the series is the echo we see and hear from the past. Next season will double down in this respect, no doubt.

You are a trooper!

WHERE's DF? Get thee here, girl!
WHERE's Nic? Get thee here, girl!

• Information