Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

1x02 'Blood Brothers'

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Michael continues to prowl for victims while Luther struggles with a traumatic loss and painful accusations. Also, Kaylee makes a connection.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:10 pm

I must admit, I quite enjoy Ian in the role. I guess I t's just nice to see him on the screen again.

I'm mildly interested in certain aspects of the story, but others I find massively annoying. The whole treatment of Luther by the DNS, made no sense at all. A bag over his head in the car? Really? No offer for a change of clothes as he's covered in his wife's blood? And why would his initial idea of trying to cure the infected so unacceptable to them from the get go that they are already scheming to dispose of Luther? If they don't want to cure these people, what do they want with Luther the first place? And who are these people anyway? Are they not part of the government? If they are, why are their premises so shitty? I couldn't help my eyes rolling.

My favourite scene in the episode was between Michael and the blind woman. This might just be the part of the story I am most interested in: can these vampires then learn to control their appetites after the initial constant blood thirst? (That would fit with all other vampire mythologies we have seen) I also hope this was not the last we saw of this blind woman.

For me, Ian's best performance in this episode was when after the slime guy offered his condolences to Luther over losing his wife, Luther said "no one has said that to me yet" or something along those lines. I felt that line was delivered really well.

The reporter girl continues to annoy the hell out of me. I'm also not keen on the child actor who plays Luther's son. Also, the double-crossing science guy at the DNS is way too transparent and formulaic.

Main asset of the show though clearly is that Ian is still stunningly beautiful.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 pm

Right. I think this is the comic book nature of the series fighting against attempting to straddle some other lines in current storytelling and film making. There are simply too many plot holes and unbelievable eye-rolling moments. I'm looking forward to the actors settling into their roles a bit more. The actor playing Michael also has some very good moments. He is right for the role. The government 'baddies' are way too predictable and nearly tired memes - yet, again, the comic book thing.

BTW - the head to head bed scene in quarantine was hilarious. Here is a vast room full of beds and two grown men sleep head to head? I don't think so. It was a silly moment for camera fun only.

Ian is doing an all right job. Sometimes a little to David Hasselhoffish. However...I see as the series goes on they dirty him up a bit so that is nice.

Onward!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:44 am

Agree on all fronts, but despite its contrivedness, I did actually like the visuals of the head to head bed scene. It probably should have been just a promo shot, not something that actually happened exactly.

DawnFae

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:27 pm

I watched up to episode 4.
It is full of plot holes and stuff similar to TVD.
I have the impression that Ian is uncomfortable in suits...

Some things are interesting but a lot of it is repetition of other vampire series and the 2 sub species of Bloods burden / overload the story in a way. Lots of details go missing in the jumping between the subplot lines hmmm...

I need to watch the rest of the season before reviewing the whole.
I enjoyed your comments Ladies :x !

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:04 pm

Ha! Ouch! And true!

I’m only watching because of nostalgia, solidarity and the still very much pleasing aesthetics that is Ian Somerhalder! :57:

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:36 am

Right on all points, girls-posing-as-women. It isn't awful, but just above it in a few areas. The finale made it worth it for me as I seem to be shallow as the kiddie pool (to quote Caroline).

• Information