Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Game of Thrones 8x03 - "The Long Night"

DawnFae

Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:34 am

Game of Thrones 8x03 Promo & Featurette

Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 3 | Preview

DawnFae

Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:42 am

I found this video...

Game of Thrones | Season 8 Episode 3 | Game Revealed

DawnFae

Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:49 pm

The battle of Winterfell was truly epic!
Arya!
WOW!
That was the twist the Night King never saw coming! He sent the Dragon after Jon believing that he was the one who could kill him but he never knew about Arya!

Poor Theon!
Poor all characters who died in the desperate fight.
That was some episode! I am still processing the scenes and the implications of the horrors of the Long Night!
I was very sad to see Melisandra go. She really helped with her magic and her guidance to Arya.

Now that they suffered heavy losses in this battle against the dead, the treacherous Cersei will come with her huge army, ready to seize the ultimate power or so she thinks...
I hope that Jon will get back to Dany and that the third Dragon survived his wounds.
Poor Viserion :73: ! May all the dead rest in peace now.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:49 pm

I thought it was a fantastic episode, all the way through, except for the ending, that was a big disappointment for me.

Arya getting her most amazing badass moment was awesome - and I would have been absolutely thrilled with it, but I was expecting something totally different: a massive showdown between the NK and Bran, which never happened. Something between the two of them that was going to reveal to us the extent of Bran's powers. What did those Ravens he'd sent out actually achieve? It seemed, nothing.
Bran's game was basically to just sit there, looking utterly vulnerable, whilst waiting for Arya to ninja tackle the NK, who was so focused on approaching a man in a wheelchair that he (and his WW dudes) never saw Arya coming. Hm. The end of the NK. After seven seasons, and thousand of years, just like that. :017:

The five big deaths, Ed, Little Bear, Bevric, Jorah and Theon were brilliant deaths. All fought so selflessly and bravely... so sad to see them die.

And Melisandre... I agree, DF, such sad death. She was really done with it all, wasn't she? Did her best to help the living to defeat Death, and she felt it was her time to go. She fulfilled her purpose. I loved how she just walked out in the snow, discarding her necklace: done, done, done.

DawnFae

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:18 am

Dee wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:49 pm
I thought it was a fantastic episode, all the way through, except for the ending, that was a big disappointment for me.

Yeah, the episode in itself was really well shot and conceived. I wanted to see more of the Three-Eyed-Raven mystery or powers I suppose.
I truly felt sorry for Theon. I mean he suffered such horrible stuff at the hands of Ramsey that I thought that was more than enough as "punishment" for his betrayal to the Starks. But he also died a man of honor and redeemed himself completely. Bran as the TER is pretty unemotional almost indifferent to the "plight" of the humans around him. Interesting...

Arya getting her most amazing badass moment was awesome - and I would have been absolutely thrilled with it, but I was expecting something totally different: a massive showdown between the NK and Bran, which never happened. Something between the two of them that was going to reveal to us the extent of Bran's powers. What did those Ravens he'd sent out actually achieve? It seemed, nothing.
Bran's game was basically to just sit there, looking utterly vulnerable, whilst waiting for Arya to ninja tackle the NK, who was so focused on approaching a man in a wheelchair that he (and his WW dudes) never saw Arya coming. Hm. The end of the NK. After seven seasons, and thousand of years, just like that. :017:

I think that Bran warged into the crow and lured the Night King to where he could be "uncreated" by the Valerian Steel dagger. The Showrunners used the word "Uncreated". All this magic and power hinged on plunging the Valerian Steel dagger into the NK's chest, reducing him into a heap of ice. It is probably very difficult to come up with more "dazzling" ways to finish the all powerful NK. But Arya went through hell literally to acquire the skills and the courage to get close enough to the NK and stab him with the Valerian Steel dagger. Bran probably saw that and used his powers (warging into animals) to bring the NK to his final demise.
But does Bran have other powers or is he just a powerful Seer with warging abilities?
Did Bran use some of his "magic" to conceal Arya from the NK and his WWs? Or does Arya have powers of her own?
House Stark seems to have some magic in their bloodline too. Hmmm...
They did not make this very clear to us and that was the "shame" actually. They skimped on the juicy supernatural aspects of the characters and the situation as a whole.
Melisandre just spoke in "riddles" with Arya and she ran away to execute the plan. Were both women communicating on a deeper level, like exchanging visions and such? It could be...

I am still sad about Melisandre. She did some pretty awful stuff but she had a power to reckon with. Her most horrible deed was burning Shereen alive! That was unforgivable. Did she misinterpret the visions that much? Poor Shereen!
I think that Melisandre spent her life force to help them defeat the Night King. Magic never comes free. So she sacrificed herself in a last act of redemption.
Does Jon have any powers? perhaps we will never know but I can't help wonder about the Targaryans and the fact that magic seems to be in their "blood".

The five big deaths, Ed, Little Bear, Bevric, Jorah and Theon were brilliant deaths. All fought so selflessly and bravely... so sad to see them die.

The death of Little Bear was painful to watch! She was a fierce warrior and it was a shame to see her go.
Jorah sacrificed himself for Dany. I am sure he died "happy" that he could give his life to save hers.
Viserion was such a waste! I was sad when he was killed by the NK :73: !
With any luck, the second dragon would survive his wounds and help them defeat Cersei. I am sure she has something lethal up her cunning sleeve. She probably made more of her zombie bodyguards or so I believe.

That Dany and Jon got separated in the heat of the battle was so sad. I hope it wasn't a bad omen for their relationship. I mean who cares? If the Targaryans married their siblings and cousins for generations, so be it. It could also work for them that is if they both survive the upcoming battle and also Jon's beliefs about "marrying" a blood relative.

And Melisandre... I agree, DF, such sad death. She was really done with it all, wasn't she? Did her best to help the living to defeat Death, and she felt it was her time to go. She fulfilled her purpose. I loved how she just walked out in the snow, discarding her necklace: done, done, done.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 am

I'm really hoping that we are getting at least something from Bran in the next episode about the Night King and some explanation about what he was doing, what he knew beforehand and what he didn't. He obviously knew Arya would be the one to kill the NK, and that Theon would die to protect him. What else?

He is pretty much emotionless now. Nothing but a big brain. So he isn't concerned with people dying around him, because he just sees it as an inevitability. The whole point is that he can't alter the path that is set. He must be careful about what he says to people. He knew he had to be at the Godswood, and that the NK would come for him, and he told them as much. From there he let everyone make their own decisions. This is very interesting to me, the good old fate/free will.

Theon, yes, absolutely redeemed. So sad to see him die. And Jorah. I might have cried a little.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 02, 2019 4:26 am

Do you think Sansa and Tyrion might have a future after all?

DawnFae

Thu May 02, 2019 10:31 am

Dee wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:26 am
Do you think Sansa and Tyrion might have a future after all?
Anything is possible :-)!

I thought Sansa and Theon might get together (like Missandei and Grey Worm) but now that Theon is gone, who knows?

DawnFae

Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 am

There 's a theory about the return of the Night King. Some believe that the NK is not dead.
Maybe...
What happened to the babies he turned into blue-eyed little creatures? were these the "White Walkers" or did he "choose" a new Night King to replace him should he "die"?
Hmmm...I don't know exactly. The NK's death in Winterfell seemed a little disappointing after all these thousand years and all this power, he just went poof!
It was a magical undoing but still!
What do you think?
I honestly expected more of the NK storyline. I won't say it was too easy to undo him but it was also "unspectacular". Is there more to come? Another twist?

Dee
Site Admin

Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm

Theyve left far too many questions unanswered re: Night King. It's all far so fetched how those babies could "grow", especially as we never saw any WW children. Where are they? A mystery. It's also a mystery, that without talking, how on earth did the NK make a deal with Craster the first place?

What was the point of those WWs anyway? Were they kind of the extension of the NK? Were they all grown from babies? They seemed pretty useless in the end: they certainly couldn't protect the NK when it mattered.

I don't think there are any "survivors" amongst the dead. The moment the NK was stabbed, everyone connected to him, or existing through the NK, were eliminated instantly: WWs and wights alike.
I think this story is now over, but it's actually so unresolved, that maybe there will be another twist, as you say... I hope at least Bran will reveal something more about the NK and his creations.

DawnFae

Sat May 04, 2019 4:38 am

The Night King is an invention of the TV show. He was not mentioned in the books, at least not explicitly so. GRRM was writing episodes for the TV show, so he must have greenlit the idea.
I am still hoping for a better explanation of the Night King's death or maybe he will come back before the end?
We will have to wait and see.

Battle of Winterfell BRIGHTENED VERSION FULL Recap! GAME OF THRONES Final Season!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat May 04, 2019 7:34 am

Surely he can't can't come back after such an epic "uncreation"? I really feel this part of the story is done now.

A question for you, DF. Huge debate on the internet: did Jon see Arya run towards the Godswood? When he gets up and yells at the dragon, is he shouting "Gooooooo!" to Arya? Creating a distraction for her to get past the dragon? I'm with people who think he is. As a last resort.

Arya delivers the final blow, but I'd like to think that bringing the NK was still very much a team effort. Everyone did their part. What do you think?

• Information