Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Game of Thrones 8x03 - "The Long Night"

DawnFae

Sat May 04, 2019 8:15 am

Yes, I saw this scene and it could be that Jon helped Arya get past the Dragon.
It was really a team effort because others sacrificed their lives to give Arya a chance to reach the Godwoods and stab the NK.
I still want to know what the role of the WW was? They were pretty useless or at least they were not put to work in a "meaningful way" so we did not see what they could do. Were they responsible for the powerful snow storm? Maybe they were...

And if the NK will not return (I'm actually afraid he won't), Cersei will turn out to be the real big villain and danger to the world. It would be good storytelling if they won't just show us yet another big battle with special effects. We need some serious answers to all the build up that did not pay off the way it should have. We still got 3 episodes to go so there's still hope!

I thought that Melisandre's storyline was satisfying although she left too soon in my opinion.

DawnFae

Sat May 04, 2019 10:33 am

Game Of Thrones: The Most Polarizing Episode Yet (Why Arya?)

Dee
Site Admin

Sat May 04, 2019 11:25 am

This is a very level headed review. It's the truth, isn't it? So many theories out there, so many favourites, we can't all have our way, we just have to see how they spin this story now. I have never felt let down by these writers, so I look forward to the rest of the season, and hope that my disappointment about the lack of explanation of the NK, the WWs and the connection between the NK and Bran will be somehow rectified in the remaining three episodes. I hope we still get our answers from Bran.

To be honest, I don't have any other expectations from the series, have you? I just hope some of our heroes will survive and get a happy ending. I know that not everyone will. The trouble is that there are too many characters by now who we care deeply about.

DawnFae

Sat May 04, 2019 11:55 am

I don't have any big expectations :72: but I wish that Jon and Daenerys get a happy ending and that Cersei will be gone for good.
The other characters deserve peace and a happy life too.
I would love some information about the Lord of Light and about the magic of the Assassins with whom Arya trained. There seems to be all sorts of magic but it is never explained, it is presented as "strange" manifestation in the real world but it is neither consistent nor "controllable" / Predictable although Melissandre seemed to know what she was doing when she gave birth to the killing shadow...

Why did the NK take his time looking into Bran's eyes? Did Bran block the seeing abilities of NK to give Arya some time to ambush and uncreate him?

I think we will get some answers but probably not to all our open questions. By any chance GRRM will finish "Winds of Winter" and will write "A Dream of Spring" and we may get the answers we have been seeking for so long.

Fans tend to make the stories their own and feel that they own them but the showrunners will tell their own version of GOT and not everyone will be happy with how they end up tying the loose ends. That is something we will have to live with and accept. I can only guess that GRRM gave them his blessing and the insider information to end the story the way he meant it to be.

People are really obsessed with how the NK met his demise: here's the scene where we hear Jon scream GO! GO!
Well, Jon faced the dead Dragon and risked his life to help Arya reach the NK before he could finish off Bran. Jon did so much but some fans did not like the Girl Power Arya personified they just wanted to see a sword fight between Jon and the NK and see a male hero come out victorious :roll: .

Arya Kills Night King (with help from Jon) End Scene Brightened 3 Stop

Dee
Site Admin

Sat May 04, 2019 1:23 pm

DawnFae wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 11:55 am
I don't have any big expectations :72: but I wish that Jon and Daenerys get a happy ending and that Cersei will be gone for good.

I'm sure we will get Cersei's demise. Practically everyone has a reason to kill her. It's just a matter of who's gonna do it? My prediction is that she will kill herself, when she knows all is lost, just to deprive her enemies of the pleasure. I think she will also destroy the iron throne in the process.

Jon and Dany: I hope so too.

The other characters deserve peace and a happy life too.

I'd love Arya and Gendry to find happiness together too. And I'd like the Hound to survive. These are my not so secret little wishes...

I would love some information about the Lord of Light and about the magic of the Assassins with whom Arya trained. There seems to be all sorts of magic but it is never explained, it is presented as "strange" manifestation in the real world but it is neither consistent nor "controllable" / Predictable although Melissandre seemed to know what she was doing when she gave birth to the killing shadow...

I don't think we will get more on the Lord of Light, as there are no more Red Priests/Priestesses around. Also, Melissandre talked of the Light-bringer that will be forged and used in the battle against the dead, but that never happened. Unless the dagger was Light-bringer? The Melissandre story was somewhat inconsistent, I agree. Especially that scene when she was taking a bath without her necklace in front of Stannis' wife, and she still appeared in her young form. And she certainly appeared to be a lot more sinister in the early seasons than in the final ones. I loved how her story ended though.

Why did the NK take his time looking into Bran's eyes? Did Bran block the seeing abilities of NK to give Arya some time to ambush and uncreate him?

Something was going on, and dammit we weren't privy to it. I hope Bran will explain later.

I think we will get some answers but probably not to all our open questions. By any chance GRRM will finish "Winds of Winter" and will write "A Dream of Spring" and we may get the answers we have been seeking for so long.

Hane you read the books, DF? And what's going on with the author? Why is he not continuing with the books?

Fans tend to make the stories their own and feel that they own them but the showrunners will tell their own version of GOT and not everyone will be happy with how they end up tying the loose ends. That is something we will have to live with and accept. I can only guess that GRRM gave them his blessing and the insider information to end the story the way he meant it to be.

People are really obsessed with how the NK met his demise: here's the scene where we hear Jon scream GO! GO!
Well, Jon faced the dead Dragon and risked his life to help Arya reach the NK before he could finish off Bran. Jon did so much but some fans did not like the Girl Power Arya personified they just wanted to see a sword fight between Jon and the NK and see a male hero come out victorious :roll: .

Lol, I think there is some macho pride in it, but also fans believed that because of Jon and the NK's history, Jon deserved to have this kill. The NK screwed him over twice, there was a personal vendetta here as well as the living versus the dead. So the fans feel Jon was robbed of the chance to settle old scores and rub that smug smile of the NK's face. I understand the disappointment. But at the end of the day, it didn't matter. Jon did his part, and his sister finished it.

Arya Kills Night King (with help from Jon) End Scene Brightened 3 Stop

DawnFae

Sun May 05, 2019 3:04 am

I've read the first 3 books and did not finish the 4th because it was not nice to stop on cliffhangers you know will not be resolved any time soon. The 6th book has been delayed time and again for years now and we don't know if GRRM will keep his promise. Maybe he will wait for the show to end for good to adjust the "nearly finished" manuscript.

He's been publishing other stories and 2018 he released a huge history book about the Targaryans but he keeps delaying the one book fans have been waiting for? It is anybody's guess why he has'nt delivered on his promise to publish book 6 yet.
He's also a very sought after guest in conventions all around the world and he's co-developing GOT spinoffs for HBO. Perhaps he has been taking time to enjoy his success and contribute to the TV show which takes lots of time too.
I will read the first books again and continue reading the new ones when all of them are available. GRRM writes in a very interesting style. You get character focused chapters and so the story is weaved intricately but when you come to the end of one book you are still wanting more of the story and have to wait years to get it.

He informs fans on a regular basis on his website. He posts samples of his work there too:

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

DawnFae

Sun May 05, 2019 3:11 am

About Cersei killing herself: if she is forced to come to this decision, she will make sure to take as many of her enemies with her as she possibly can.
Will she have the courage to kill herself though?

I'd love Arya and Gendry to find happiness together too. And I'd like the Hound to survive. These are my not so secret little wishes...
If this happens then Robert Baratheon's wish to unite his house with House Stark will be fulfilled.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun May 05, 2019 3:34 am

Thanks for info on books, DF. I have the first book and started reading it a while back, really enjoyed his style. I stopped because I realised the show and the book were quite different and both massively complicated, so I didn't want to get confused. I can see myself reading the books one day. A good idea to wait until they're all published.

Cersei was prepared to kill herself before, remember the siege? She was about to drink the poison with her youngest son when Tywin marched in. She doesn't want her enemies to abuse and kill her, she'd rather do it herself. She's also not hesitant to take hundreds of people down to get to her enemies as we have seen her blowing up the Great Sept. I'm so excited and so filled with dread about what is to come!!!

DawnFae

Sun May 05, 2019 5:29 am

I remember when she gave the poison to her son Tommen. I always thought she would delay taking her own life as much as she reasonably could before falling in the hands of the enemies. I am inclined to think that she's made very good preparations to inflict maximum damage on her enemies. I am not sure but I believe that she made more zombie warriors to protect her.
3 episodes to go: what could possibly go wrong?
Maybe the threat of the dead isn't completely gone?
It wasn't easy to "uncreate" the NK but it was kinda too soon, too "short" of a fight against the NK himself at Winterfell. My questions up to his point:
What were the magic rituals of the NK meant to accomplish?
Did the NK have some kind of backup plan in the unlikely situation (seen from his perspective) that Jon Snow or any promised hero would manage to defeat him?

Making creepy spirals out of body parts could be seen as psychological warfare but why would the NK try and instill more fear in his enemies? With his huge army of the dead and the true possibility of creating more dead soldiers after killing fighters of the opposing forces, he was practically invincible...It is strange!

I am intrigued! I hope they won't let us down in the next 3 episodes!
We'll read the books when they are all published or at least when "the Winds of Winter" is out. Some fans hope that GRRM will announce the release of WoW after the GOT show ends...
I would be happy if he did :72:

Dee
Site Admin

Sun May 05, 2019 9:21 am

Excellent questions, Mz DF. We might know the answers to at least a few of them within just three weeks! :-D 8-)

Much as we watch these series mostly for the human drama, the world building in a supernatural drama is always exciting and it’s super annoying when the creators retcon or leave important questions unanswered or just simply mess up and contradict themselves. All the pain we’ve been through with TVD! Lol.

Now it’s this prophecy about the Light-bringer that is annoying me, fir starters, a sword pulled out of the fire, that will defeat the dead. Hm. So that didn’t happen.

And then all this stuff about babies turned, why were we shown that if that was never followed up? What happened to these white babies? And then your question: what was the point of the white walkers?

So, let’s be patient. Three more episodes. I think we are all feeling frustrated because it feels like this chapter is closed on the tv show now,the last few episodes focusing on the power struggle for the throne. But let’s hope we will get something about the mythology as well. Fingers crossed.

• Information