Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Game of Thrones 8x01 - "Winterfell"

DawnFae

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:57 am

"Season 8 opens at Winterfell with an episode that contains plenty of callbacks to the show’s pilot. Instead of King Robert’s procession arriving, it’s Daenerys and her army. What follows is a thrilling and tense intermingling of characters—some of whom have never previously met, many who have messy histories—as they all prepare to face the inevitable invasion of the Army of the Dead."

This was a very interesting episode, a thrilling setup for the rest of the season.
Many encounters were emotional to say the least.
Cersei is being Cersei the cunning and cold hearted "queen". I never thought she would sink so low but she did...

Yara escaped her captivity. Jon learned the truth about his parentage from his friend Sam. I am wondering what the fallout of this revelation will be.

Sansa seems to be playing her own game (It is just a feeling I have).
Jon is very loyal and honorable: he wants to save the Norht but the Lords of the North haven't understood the real danger yet.
The army of the dead is on its way to Winterfell.
One of the Dragons stared at Jon with a very intense and enigmatic look. How "intelligent" are the Dragons really?
The last scene was brief but chilling when Jaime Lannister set his eyes on Bran!!! An intense current flew between them. WOW!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:49 am

Thanks for setting up this episode, Mz K, and your first reactions!

I enjoyed the episode so much. Just to be back in this world is everything.

Favourite bits:

Arya/Jon reunion. Perfect. So beautifully affectionate, yet Arya is no child any more. I liked how she firmly reminded Jon to remember his family loyalties and not to be blinded by his love for Danny. This is so interesting because everyone can see that Jon is obviously smitten with her, but actually, he's also seeing a bigger picture than Arya and Sansa, and all the northerners. And right now, his ultimate desire to defend not just the Norht but all the living, sits very well with working with Danny and her vast army. If it requires "bending the knee", who bloody cares right now, with the army of the dead marching their way. Well, the proud northerners do. They won't understand until they finally get to meet the real enemy but by then it will be too late.

I like all theories that suggest the iron throne will be destroyed, and there will be no more Kings and Queens. Breaking the Wheel in earnest. And I believe Danny will realise that she doesn't need a crown. (To answer Sam's big question at the end.) They will need strong councils.

Sam telling Jon about his parentage and asking the big questions, pointing out how Danny can be ruthless whilst Jon is merciful... my second favourite scene.
Chilling. Great acting on both sides, superbly written dialogue.

Sansa/Danny bitching scenes - priceless.

Things I didn't like:

Tyrion so naive and somewhat sidelined. He's not been doing that great lately. He needs to get his wits and mojo back. I'm not sure why he's written this way right now, but I have faith in the writers of building him up again.

I wasn't keen on the dragon joy ride either, it just didn't seem the time and the place with all these hostilities back at Winterfell and when all their efforts should go into the war preparations. Perhaps this should have happened before they got to Winterfell. The scene itself reminded me so much of Harry Potter and co. on their broomsticks, that once I had that image in my mind, I had to giggle through the whole dragon stuff. I did enjoy the "I'm watching you, Mister" facial expression of Drogo's though, it was hilarious.

I was also a bit disappointed with Arya's other reunions. Too harsh with the Hound, just didn't have that extra layer I was hoping for; and too cold and matter of fact with Gendry, but then she did a little flirty thing with him at the end which made it better. I would like to see this warm friendship fully restored, even if they don't become romantically involved.

Overall, a fantastic set up for the final season.
The ending of the episode was super chilling, indeed! With the latest art work from the Night King and That Look between Bran and Jaime at the end, crikey!!!

Can't wait for the next episode!

DawnFae

Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:34 am

The Best Theories About Those Creepy ‘Game of Thrones’ Spiral Symbols

"Theories abound, but now the writer for “Winterfell,” the premiere episode of Game of Thrones final season, has clarified the Night King’s purpose. It’s a giant middle finger to his creators. In a recent interview with the New York Post, GoT‘s Dave Hill was asked about the spirals. Shockingly, he gave a straightforward answer.

“As we saw with Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven, the spiral pattern was sacred to the Children of the Forest, who created the Night King by sacrificing a captured man in a spiral ‘henge of stones.’ The Night King then adopted the symbol as a sort of blasphemy, like Satan with the upside-down cross.”

Of course, knowing the initial visual connection between the Children and the Night King’s symbols doesn’t fully explain what the Night King’s purpose is using it now. The spirals could be pulling double duty as both a kiss-off to the diminutive magical race and something else. But what?" more under this link

https://www.fandom.com/articles/game-of ... night-king

• Information