Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

The Ones Who Live

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:13 am

The more I think about the last episode, the more it is growing on me, I get that we need to “believe a little bit longer” - for a huge payout. I’m here for it.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:02 pm

Episode 4

What We

Well what can I say… this was worth waiting for. A huge payout for sure. Even if it broke my heart over and over and over. I think I actually cried all the way through. Absolutely brilliant writing and mesmerising acting.

This is no ordinary love story. It’s an indestructible bond between two extraordinary people, elevated to heights almost impossible to comprehend, it just leaves me in perpetual awe. When the broken pieces were finally slotted in place so the healing could begin… that was one of those rare gifts of magic reminiscent of the very best of TWD, but really, beyond that, it was just a beautiful gift period. And I know there will be trouble ahead, but I’m so happy they left this particular episode end on a positive note.

I was wondering if Michonne had gotten the artist draw the five of them as a family and that’s how she would communicate to Rick that he has another son. But getting him to just draw Carl… something Rick could never get him to do… that was a stroke of genius. Loved this episode. And that moment when Michonne revealed the phone picture to Rick in response to him breaking down that he couldn’t picture Carl anymore, was just one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen on a screen.

As was Michonne placing Rick’s hand on her heart, to reassure him in his moment of complete meltdown. I could hardly breathe myself, it was so overwhelming to witness how these two lovers finally came together again, after 8 years apart, and all that they’ve been through to get here. If making love was ever about two become one - this was sure it. It felt so intimate I almost couldn’t watch. Totally forgot these were actually actors in character. It felt so humblingly honest.

And the rest? I loved every minute. The back and forth, the bickering, the anger, the release, the crazy setting, the theatre feel, the lighthearted ending. My favourite episode of this mini series by far.

What did you think, Pic? I have an inkling that you might have liked this one?

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:24 pm

Wow! Really, your description of the episode also left me breathless.

This episode was wonderful for all the beautiful intricacies you listed. The hand to the heart. Michonne's guiding eyes in that moment. How could she not toggle from disbelief to resentment to understanding and back again in this situation? Of course, she doesn't have the information and history Rick has with these people, but what she does have is more important and she rose to the moment like the warrior goddess she is.

The temporary breaking of Rick..."They took Carl from me..." culminated so beautifully in this episode. The massive losses and potential further and final loss of Michonne swayed his straight back. It took a while for Michonne to understand the full tragedy of these past years for Rick and I think the relative non-reaction (or at least a non call to action) to being told he had a son was a huge indicator that he was sheathed in layers of denial and protection that kept out the sun (and son) so to speak.

Michonne had her own sorrows as well but, true to her depth of nature, she shouldered this challenge and hit all of the right buttons. Rick could just not let her walk out of his life after finding her again...and so very intact she is. Yet, "The only time I feel safe is with you." What a compliment and place to rise to.

This team, I tell you. Near perfection. The lovemaking scene was raw and really very interesting with the deep connection and flayed open vulnerability, give and take, healing and heartache. Done so very well.

Hurt hides in so many areas, doesn't it? Rick without a seeming backbone in previous episodes is redeemed not necessarily by regaining his strength in this episode but rather by facing his vulnerability, giving it a name, and grasping onto a way forward.

Super yes, PIC!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:34 pm

Oh I’m so happy you’ve watched it and loved it. And excellent review. I think we are in full agreement on this episode. What did you think of the one before? :P

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:56 pm

Hahahahaha! Did I skip that? Je suis tellement désolée, mon coeur!

I remember LOVING the ending and being excited for the next episode. The rest was a mild frustration fest generally speaking. I think your review said it all for me and I should have just shouted "Ditto, buddy!"

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:46 pm

Lol. I’ll let you off because you’re cute.

The ending was the best part. But sassy Michonne all throughout was also giving, right?

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:10 pm

Yes, sassy Michonne at her finest. I really like the dialogue between the two of them as it seems very realistic to me - the fights make sense and reactions make sense. She can dish it out!

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 am

The depths of characters we have here and the range of acting ability of the two leads is phenomenal. I hope they will be globally recognised for their achievement.

I can’t predict where this show is going with only two episodes left. There will be a huge summit of CRM leaders at the Cascade, which they are still close to. With Jadis on their trail next week, according to the trailer, the favourite theory going round is that they’re going to set the summit on fire, - hopefully Michonne’s association with Nat will have resulted in some considerable skills in explosives. And then they will get away. But that seems a lot to ask for, such a neat bow to tie in just two episodes. I like that they keep us guessing. And I trust that the ending of the series will be satisfactory… they wouldn’t have come back to do all this if the end of it was going to be horrible or tragic. This show is called the Ones Who LIVE, right?

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:11 pm

Episode 5

Become

I think the only way this can end is in an explosion at the summit. Hopefully after the E briefing, because we all need to hear that. I hope Thorne will see the light (she’s bound to learn next week who Michonne is) and get on Rick’s side. It was her and Rick, the two protégés to put an end to the evil of the CRM, they better deliver now together, with Michonne stepping in as a formidable bonus sidekick. If not, sadly Thorne will have to die.
Beale had almost nothing to do in these five episodes to make a mark. I guess his turn is coming in the finale. I would not like to have him survive this, another big bad lingering on. Get all the corrupt leaders blown up by Michonne, apprentice of Nat, leave Thorne behind to rebuild the army to protect the city, and get Michonne and Rick back in that yellow van and on their merry way home. That would be an awesome ending, no?

I loved this episode. Not gonna nitpick.

Great to see Gabriel again. I know he’s not your fave, Lori, but I hope you too liked the back and forth between Gabe and Anne/Jadis. I thought it was interesting to see her ongoing battle with herself. And who best to confide in than Gabriel, who had his own big battles in his time.

The ring, and the marriage proposal… well, maybe a little cheesy, but I don’t care. I loved that too. I’m very forgiving, because overall this has been great. Because of the awesome double act Richonne is, the best dynamic ever. Love, love.

And you, Lori?

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:30 pm

Dee wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:11 pm
Episode 5

Become

I think the only way this can end is in an explosion at the summit. Hopefully after the E briefing, because we all need to hear that. I hope Thorne will see the light (she’s bound to learn next week who Michonne is) and get on Rick’s side. It was her and Rick, the two protégés to put an end to the evil of the CRM, they better deliver now together, with Michonne stepping in as a formidable bonus sidekick. If not, sadly Thorne will have to die.
Beale had almost nothing to do in these five episodes to make a mark. I guess his turn is coming in the finale. I would not like to have him survive this, another big bad lingering on. Get all the corrupt leaders blown up by Michonne, apprentice of Nat, leave Thorne behind to rebuild the army to protect the city, and get Michonne and Rick back in that yellow van and on their merry way home. That would be an awesome ending, no?

Honestly? The gears of this thing make me weary and I have trouble giving a nod to the comic book setting. That's what is so great about Daryl Dixon - it is fantastical yet so very believable and done so "adult". Yes, your vision would make a great ending if they got to it quickly because getting home and giving that breadth and space is so important to me. I am nervous...

I loved this episode. Not gonna nitpick.

I'm so glad you are loving this and it is unfolding as we'd hoped. They are together again!

Great to see Gabriel again. I know he’s not your fave, Lori, but I hope you too liked the back and forth between Gabe and Anne/Jadis. I thought it was interesting to see her ongoing battle with herself. And who best to confide in than Gabriel, who had his own big battles in his time.

I found Jadis interesting with her internal demons vs. Angel pushing and pulling, but would have been satisfied with half the back and forth. Yes, I became more fond of Gabriel once upon a time. Yet, his part to me now has been a bit of a flashback yawn fest. SORRY!! Ha! He was dry toast to me mostly. The ending of Jadis was sad and satiating all at the same time. Still, I think DD spoiled me (thankfully...what a ride!) and I am seeing the inner workings of the writing of this series and a "wrap up" of a story rather than anything much new and intriguing, though it has definitely had its moments. Am I tired? As you know, I've just come off of entertaining a house guest.
:sign0085:

The ring, and the marriage proposal… well, maybe a little cheesy, but I don’t care. I loved that too. I’m very forgiving, because overall this has been great. Because of the awesome double act Richonne is, the best dynamic ever. Love, love.

Richonne! Now that is funny! The marriage proposal was sweet. Yes, quite cheesy. I get the forgiving nature of it all - kind of like how I forgave the crazy green "swoosh" on the headboard of that wonderful painting I shared with you because I loved the rest of it so much or forgive a resolving ending chord in an otherwise great song. :035:

I am really seeing the actors instead of the characters. I don't quite know what that means but it does require a suspension of disbelief. I know it is difficult to perfect such anticipation. The series must service the action fans and the interpersonal relationship fans. As we've learned time and time again throughout the various series we have enjoyed together it is a fine dance wrought with the possibility of falling short of expectation. They are definitely devoting a good amount of time to the relationship and reunion, but this last episode (in my opinion) was not written or acted with the same depth as prior. I think the hand on the heart scene eclipsed the proposal and that is okay because it was so deep and so very good. I prefer to think the marriage happened in that moment, myself. Perhaps all on-screen proposals are cheesy or at least most.
:039:

However! I am enjoying it more because you enjoy it so much and you are definitely the expert and heartbeat of the thing! It is quite enjoyable and a walk(er) down memory lane. I need more than a brief reunion with family and friends, but how do you adequately depict that? Perhaps it would be better just to have everyone run into each other's arms and Rick hold his boy in slow motion and then the camera fade out.

I can honestly pinpoint my hesitation to give this series all the stars to the quality and bar DD set. I got spoiled...

:72:

And you, Lori?
:x

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:49 am

Thanks for your reflections, Lori. Even though I’m certainly more into this than you are, I actually agree with many of your points. As I’ve now seen the final episode, I will respond to your comments in my review of the finale. :x

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:43 am

Episode 6

The Last Time

I’m writing this two days after I have watched the finale, so my emotions have somewhat settled. I can’t remember the last time (or if I ever?) I was sobbing this hard over a tv show. That reunion at the end, after everything they’d all been through… it was everything I wanted to see at the end of all this.

A very suspenseful episode that had me gripped all throughout. Even though I kept repeating the title of the miniseries as a mantra throughout, I had some horrific moments of doubt whether they’d be both making it out alive from this hellhole. But of course they did.

The echelon briefing was a definite highlight. Two fine actors playing a showdown to perfection. The moment of realisation in Beale’s eyes that Rick was not exactly on board and seeing feral Rick again… priceless.

I loved that Jadis hid the note in the wire cat. It was like she left the note but she didn’t really want it to be found all that much. It was certainly Anne hiding what Jadis wrote. And maybe it was a confession of a kind too, I’d have loved to read that note. I loved her messy room, full of paintings, so fitting for the character. I felt Michonne’s frustration trying to find anything in this chaos.

The fact Rick and Michonne have multiple cats’ lives shouldn’t come as surprise at this point, they’re practically indestructible super heroes, and I’m more than fine with that. Because whilst apparently they can’t actually die, they have been shown to have immense struggles and sufferings that make them very much human, despite their invincibility.

I really enjoyed this mini series. A bit of a fairy tale for grownups: the princess fought for her prince, and together they defeated the dragon, saved a whole lot of people, then got back to their own kingdom and lived happily ever after with their children. It was everything I hoped it would be. All I wanted was for Michonne to succeed in bringing Rick back home. The rest - what didn’t work, quite frankly I didn’t care, and whatever did work, was a bonus gratefully received. And most of this, surprisingly, worked just fine for me.

The love story between these two beloved characters was indeed the heart of this show, and therefore Episode 4 was a true gem, and my favourite episode by far. I totally agree about the moment of the hand on the heart, - that moment cannot be surpassed by any words or rings.

An overall beautifully executed conclusion to TWD’s two main characters’ story. Bravo. But whilst I loved The Ones Who Live, I again completely agree with you and rate the Daryl Dixon show higher as a more original and artistic spinoff. And your choice of word, more grownup too, with less of a fairy tale feel. Though Daryl Dixon is also (thankfully) an invincible superhero.

It’s interesting that sometimes you saw the actors rather than the characters… I don’t know if that’s a bad thing though. Is it possible to watch the characters interact whilst we also have an awareness of admiration for the actors delivering it? That might be an apt description of my experience watching this, but maybe for you it was something else, that has actually stopped you from engaging with the characters? I have been fully invested in this love story from way before it became a thing on the show, so for me, this was all very believable and full of real chemistry. But I also have an appreciation of the phenomenal acting skills of these two exceptional and very likeable actors.

The ending is totally fairytale and very far fetched. The CR cannot possibly take everyone in and give out endless aid, when they were just given the reason for the CRM planning such drastic move as destroying Portland. A predicted 14 year timescale before human life cannot be sustained any longer is something that needs to be taken seriously. The problem I see is that city life might not be sustainable- in fact I can’t even fathom how that could work for even this long - but small communities with decent agriculture and ability to defend themselves, along with trade with other communities, could continue to thrive with a back to basics existence. Oh well. I’m glad that Alexandria got some aid.

What we didn’t get is a reunion with the other characters, especially Daryl… but I have a feeling that after he’s back from France, we might get a little something there. Fingers crossed. I think they all want to do that. But for now, this reunion of the Grimes family is perfectly good enough for me.

I hope you have enjoyed that final scene too, Mz L, it was almost exactly what you’d described above as a second best ending (not being time for more).

• Information