Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

The Ones Who Live

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:59 pm

My Partner-In-TWD ~

Okay then! There were some beautiful moments in this ending episode and I was on the edge of my seat. I think I exclaimed out loud at least three times! I also thought certainly they would not kill either of these two people but stranger things have happened for effect and also for the social media buzz. Thankfully, the creators gave us what we craved and, with exception of some of the less-than-believable action scenes from which Rick should not have survived, it was right in the pocket I think!

I loved the rich and intimate sofa scene. The mutual resolve to see this thing through and therefore honor their past and internal compasses felt extremely fitting. There are so many lessons in this series. The countless "Who are we if we don't do what we know in our bruised hearts is required, noble, and right even if we are literally physically and painfully aching to walk away...towards the prize, towards this LOVE that has always driven and nurtured us."

When Michonne said something to the effect of "That love is right here." when Rick was opining (and rightfully so) that he just wanted to go home, it really moved me as it reiterated my deep feeling that we carry love and the love of others with us forever and actively in every moment.

There were a lot of choices to laud and emulate on a human basis. Perhaps some not to emulate...
:57:

And what a crazy vehicle for the concept "First Do No Harm" which is thrown out with the baby in the bath water by this self-proclaimed superior new strain of people; the ones for whom over-reach in controlling the populous by any means, mass violence and cherry-picking winners is the norm. Unfortunately, the losers are slated to die. We can sympathize to an extent with their long-term skepticism that the human race would end without their extreme intervention, but the fallout and collateral damage was sickening.

To see the future as so dire without concrete proof, though I'm sure they believed the projections set forth by a power-hungry damaged individual, was to deny beating hearts, mad skills and innovation, along with the type of humane resolve both Rick and Michonne possess.

And who suffers? The innocent as always. I suppose the fact they kept the plan under wraps and didn't steep the children in their supposed or perhaps manufactured eventual fate and really their immediate fate at these lunatics hands might be a redeeming factor soooo very slender. Because of this extreme, I did not buy the ending explanation that the followers of Beale were unaware of the extent of his horrid plans. Perhaps the population at large was not, but a whole lot of destruction was happening around them in other cities so it had to be a head in the sand situation at best. However, I am with you - this is a fantasy genre and I don't really care at this point if its completely believable.

Beale and Rick? Two great performances. I loved Rick during this interchange with exception he could have used the sword immediately after Beale's disclosure of the plans. I don't even know what he hurled at him. Was it a knife? Ninja stars? LOL!

Um. Rick was a visual delight in this episode. Some of those face shots were literally fascinating. A study in a beautiful bone structure, texture, and expression of this masculine face. The actor could take note of his own performance and incorporate it in his life like Ian tried to do for a time, yes? Life imitating art? Oddly, I very much love a British accent but on this person I prefer the American one. I'm so not fair to Andy and I apologize in the event he is reading this real time. :039: :lol:

I literally got goosebumps or chillbumps during a lot of the episode. The ending was so nice and I felt in my own body the replenishment Rick finally experienced with Judith's hug and the fact she had sent Michonne out to look for him. The child/father relationship was sweetly depicted and it made me wish every child had a father (and mother) who would walk through fire for them rather than mar them.

The commitment to and emphasis on LOVE and love of family was wonderful. Do we as a species discount this too readily in our interactions? Why, of course! It is nice to unabashedly have this modeled and valued without the scrutiny of naysayers.

I enjoyed this series a lot, in spite of a few small hitches. It was a monumental task to bring this relationship and family to a satiating conclusion in 6 small episodes, truly. I think they can be proud of the effort and story told.

I'm so glad you were extremely happy with this finale, Mz. A! I got emotional and worried and happy...so I knew you must have been right there and more!

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:24 am

I’m delighted you enjoyed the finale too, Lori, and the mini series as a whole. I loved all you wrote above and agree with it all. Perhaps with one exception.

Beale and Rick? Two great performances. I loved Rick during this interchange with exception he could have used the sword immediately after Beale's disclosure of the plans. I don't even know what he hurled at him. Was it a knife? Ninja stars? LOL!

I LOVED that knife throw, so feral and accurate and badass, omg. I think reaching for the sword was out of the question, a move that couldn’t have been executed without Beale stopping it. It was all a matter of nanoseconds, Beale recognising the fire in Rick’s eye and the knife hitting its target.

Um. Rick was a visual delight in this episode.

Wasn’t he just. :035:

Some of those face shots were literally fascinating. A study in a beautiful bone structure, texture, and expression of this masculine face. The actor could take note of his own performance and incorporate it in his life like Ian tried to do for a time, yes? Life imitating art? Oddly, I very much love a British accent but on this person I prefer the American one. I'm so not fair to Andy and I apologize in the event he is reading this real time. :039: :lol:

Too funny, and again I can’t argue! This is just an incredible testament to Andy’s acting skills. He’s this goofy loveable British guy, who could be the perfect choice for the boy next door, a romantic comedy hero, etc. Not this phenomenally complex leader figure in an apocalyptic world with extraordinary survival skills. And yes, the accent is a huge part of it for sure. So fascinating, this transition between actor and character. And how it completely defines how attractive he is as a man as well.

There is another actor, John Barrowman, who played Captain Jack Harkness in Dr Who and Torchwood, who is a bit like Andrew/Rick. The actor and the character couldn’t be further from one another and how incredibly attractive the character is and the actor not at all, for me anyways. I don’t know if you ever saw Torchwood?

Of course these characters are inside these men somewhere, the essence of them, they had to pull them out from somewhere, built it on something that is authentically inside them, right? And that’s possibly the most fascinating part of this.

Ian/Damon, there was a big journey there too, but Ian is still ridiculously attractive, without the sense of dangerous and unpredictable and invincible that defines Damon.

So now we are waiting for Season2 of the Daryl Dixon show, right? In the fall. I am planning on watching Dead City though before that, the Maggie/Negan mini series. How do you feel about that? Are you game? Or rather not?

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:40 pm

Dee wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:24 am
I’m delighted you enjoyed the finale too, Lori, and the mini series as a whole. I loved all you wrote above and agree with it all. Perhaps with one exception.

I LOVED that knife throw, so feral and accurate and badass, omg. I think reaching for the sword was out of the question, a move that couldn’t have been executed without Beale stopping it. It was all a matter of nanoseconds, Beale recognising the fire in Rick’s eye and the knife hitting its target.

I am going to agree with you regarding that scene and rescind my critique. I blame me! :57:

There is another actor, John Barrowman, who played Captain Jack Harkness in Dr Who and Torchwood, who is a bit like Andrew/Rick. The actor and the character couldn’t be further from one another and how incredibly attractive the character is and the actor not at all, for me anyways. I don’t know if you ever saw Torchwood?

I did not see it but looked up the actor online and even from photos promoting the series vs. photos of the actor himself I can see where that issue comes in. :)

Of course these characters are inside these men somewhere, the essence of them, they had to pull them out from somewhere, built it on something that is authentically inside them, right? And that’s possibly the most fascinating part of this.

Very true and that is amazing when throwing psychology at it!

Ian/Damon, there was a big journey there too, but Ian is still ridiculously attractive, without the sense of dangerous and unpredictable and invincible that defines Damon.

Oh - is he attractive do you think? Hmm. I will ponder that.

So now we are waiting for Season2 of the Daryl Dixon show, right? In the fall. I am planning on watching Dead City though before that, the Maggie/Negan mini series. How do you feel about that? Are you game? Or rather not?

My jury was out until I saw a Facebook Reel with J. Morgan. Let's see if I can paste here. Perhaps I shall join you and play it by "eye".

https://www.facebook.com/reel/368020289565896

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:13 pm

Ouch. That smile. Almost Damonesque. Yes, let’s watch that damn show for JDM. Glaze over all the zombies and nonsense, as we always do. :57:

John Barrowman’s Captain Jack Harkness was sort of cute in Dr Who, in his constantly jokey flirtatious bisexual way. But in Torchwood, - that was a sequel for grownups and he was older - , oh yes. He was definitely getting better. (Actingwise not in the same league as Andy though.)

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:40 pm

JDM...damn dimple

• Information