Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

‘Daryl Dixon’ Season 1

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:05 am

Episode 5

Deux Amours

Synopsis:

Daryl faces old demons, recalling the circumstances that landed him in France; Isabelle's sacrifice forces her to consider drastic measures; Genet commences a celebration for the people of Paris.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:22 am

Well, I was gripped by the episode from start to finish.

The fuel consumption of such a large ship seems to make everyone’s eyes roll, how it can even be possible to run it, but we don’t know what’s going on in the Middle East during the apocalypse? Also feeding the walkers with prisoners, with the same effort they could just kill them and let them turn to have “fresh” walkers - and not bother with the older ones. Or do they need older ones too for their experiments? Seems like they prefer them freshly turned. So the setup is rather contrived, but whatever, this is how Daryl got to France.

Good to hear Carol’s voice. Who came back? Morgan, Dwight or Heath? I think Heath might be cool, - remember the guy with the dreads from Alexandria who was out with Tara, when she found Oceanside, and Heath went missing from the vehicle, only his glasses found on the ground? If Jadis had traded him to the CRM and he finally escaped? Could be a good source of information on Rick. I don’t know if Dwight could further this story, so there isn’t much point in bringing him back, but Morgan to be reunited with Rick in the end would be awesome.

I’ve actually finally warmed to Laurent in this episode. What he did was stupid but his reasoning made sense. And I forgave him everything when he came back to save Daryl getting his rather precious eyeballs removed, so he’s fully in my good books now.

Daryl shouting at him, a bit over the top, and slightly out of character, as we were shown he mellowed out a lot since the times of such outbursts, but hey, he’s in a pretty extreme situation, and maybe he needed to let off steam. I’d have written the outburst to be shorter and less elaborate. The immediate regret and make up was very satisfying though.

The gladiator scene at the end - callback to Woodbury, (so many Merle references in this spin-off, I love that) - yes, another cause for major eyeroll. Totally out of place and redundant. Especially as Genet is about to use Laurent… by killing his friend in front of him first, in this brutal barbaric way?

Now we know Daryl will survive this, the only interesting part is how he will do it. We know that the super walker has limited time before it spontaneously combusts.

Hope for a hopeful ending of Season1, and see Daryl continue his journey with Isabelle and Laurent from Paris - but how on earth they get out of this situation will have required quite a bit of creative writing. Hopefully not involving divine intervention?

The jury is still out on Quinn. He might look like he’s trying to do the right thing now, but he was still kind of keeping Isabelle imprisoned. I guess in the finale we will find out which way the cookie crumbles with this character.

Norman is being stellar in this show. He truly lives and breathes this character. And damn the aesthetics - he’s just so beautiful in this series!

Very excited for the finale. And a bit sad it’s ending already.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:21 pm

Dee wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:22 am
Well, I was gripped by the episode from start to finish.

The fuel consumption of such a large ship seems to make everyone’s eyes roll, how it can even be possible to run it, but we don’t know what’s going on in the Middle East during the apocalypse? Also feeding the walkers with prisoners, with the same effort they could just kill them and let them turn to have “fresh” walkers - and not bother with the older ones. Or do they need older ones too for their experiments? Seems like they prefer them freshly turned. So the setup is rather contrived, but whatever, this is how Daryl got to France.

Hmm. So far this episode was a bit of a let-down for me compared to the others as it felt to me like it could have been one of those TWD filler episodes. Perhaps not that bad but it didn't keep it's new and improved flavor for me this time round.

Good to hear Carol’s voice. Who came back? Morgan, Dwight or Heath? I think Heath might be cool, - remember the guy with the dreads from Alexandria who was out with Tara, when she found Oceanside, and Heath went missing from the vehicle, only his glasses found on the ground? If Jadis had traded him to the CRM and he finally escaped? Could be a good source of information on Rick. I don’t know if Dwight could further this story, so there isn’t much point in bringing him back, but Morgan to be reunited with Rick in the end would be awesome.

Was that convo rather strange? I get that reception was sketchy but there was a deadpan presentation and it seemed even Daryl was suspecting Carol was speaking in code as though she couldn't really speak freely. I don't remember Heath. I assume if it was Rick or Michonne she would have excitedly blurted it out. I found the call odd.

I’ve actually finally warmed to Laurent in this episode. What he did was stupid but his reasoning made sense. And I forgave him everything when he came back to save Daryl getting his rather precious eyeballs removed, so he’s fully in my good books now.

Daryl shouting at him, a bit over the top, and slightly out of character, as we were shown he mellowed out a lot since the times of such outbursts, but hey, he’s in a pretty extreme situation, and maybe he needed to let off steam. I’d have written the outburst to be shorter and less elaborate. The immediate regret and make up was very satisfying though.

What could our dear little Laurent do to gain your favor, Mz. A? Exactly what he did. We cannot have those baby blues poked out. I didn't mind him freaking out. It's life and death...and indeed that immediately played out. It was stupid and I suppose the child action was refreshing rather than the cherubic display of flatline we've seen. Yet, Isabelle sacrificed a lot to make this happen and so many people were trying hard to do this for him one might assume he could process that. Oh well. It's all good.

The gladiator scene at the end - callback to Woodbury, (so many Merle references in this spin-off, I love that) - yes, another cause for major eyeroll. Totally out of place and redundant. Especially as Genet is about to use Laurent… by killing his friend in front of him first, in this brutal barbaric way?

Callback to Woodbury or was it Daniel in the lion's den? Genet uses power rather than honey with that "broken" heart of hers.

Now we know Daryl will survive this, the only interesting part is how he will do it. We know that the super walker has limited time before it spontaneously combusts.

How do we know that? I close my eyes and mind during walker scenes so I am taking your word that when they inject this stuff it has a shelf life!

Hope for a hopeful ending of Season1, and see Daryl continue his journey with Isabelle and Laurent from Paris - but how on earth they get out of this situation will have required quite a bit of creative writing. Hopefully not involving divine intervention?

I'm rather convinced this will not happen, mostly because the star of the program discounts it in its entirety and he is rarely wrong!

The jury is still out on Quinn. He might look like he’s trying to do the right thing now, but he was still kind of keeping Isabelle imprisoned. I guess in the finale we will find out which way the cookie crumbles with this character.

I'm still confused with some of Isabelle's actions. What was the near wrist slicing about? Surely not that she is captive - she must still be viable in the outcome of things. Also, he drugged her? She is an reformed drug addict is she not? I don't know if I am a bit foggy from lack of sleep or if this episode was a bit loosey-goosey.

Norman is being stellar in this show. He truly lives and breathes this character. And damn the aesthetics - he’s just so beautiful in this series!

I'm glad you finally realize this actor and character have been wed into the perfect SStorm. What took you so long to like Daryl Dixon, huh? (I agree with you BTW. He is reveling in it all!)

:57:

Very excited for the finale. And a bit sad it’s ending already.

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:10 pm

I just finished episode 6 and may I just say WOW!!!! I loved it so much! It was brilliant. I will let you do the intro and then revisit as it is late, but truly a great one in my opinion.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:45 am

Lori wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:10 pm
I just finished episode 6 and may I just say WOW!!!! I loved it so much! It was brilliant. I will let you do the intro and then revisit as it is late, but truly a great one in my opinion.
Oh, I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Lori. Especially as the last episode didn’t quite hit the mark for you. Ok, I’m going to introduce the final episode!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:49 am

Episode 6

Coming Home

Synopsis:

Genet solidifies her base of power; Daryl has a job to do before he can return to America.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:18 am

A great finale to the season, I loved it too. I enjoyed every minute, including the ones that made my eyes roll a bit:

Like Daryl actually finding his grandfather’s grave amongst so many. Because I really wanted him to find it. It was lovely and poignant that he did.

Or like Codron not killing Daryl when he finally got the chance. Because I really wanted Codron to quit his revenge agenda in light of getting to know who Daryl actually was, through his obsession with him, and jump ship. I was jolly glad he did. But I also liked how his respect for his supposed enemy (as well as some apparent fascination) has grown beyond his control. Daryl has often had this effect on people in the past. Rick, Dwight, Negan, Alpha, Mercer… he has this ability to win people round without trying or giving a damn. He’s just so effortlessly awesome.

And then Laurent going after Daryl, another eye rolling moment, lol. Impossible as it seemed that he’d be successful both at sneaking out and catching up with him, but I couldn’t help smiling to see him there at the end. I loved that he was there to throw the spanner in the works. I was relieved to find that I grew to like the kid by the end. And I love that Daryl will have to stay for a little while longer - this season was so good, will be a treat to have more of it.

There were so many awesome scenes, and the beauty of the cinematography was astounding in the finale, even though we’d been in for an aesthetic treat from the get go in this show.

I loved the scenes at Mount St Michel - Daryl settling in. Loved all the slow burn scenes between Izzy and Daryl, even if it’s painfully slow and « here we go again ».

Enjoyed Quinn and Daryl having to work together. Quinn was a capable little fighter in his own right. I’m sorry to have him out of the story but I liked how he died, with a bit of a redemption.

Loved how SLOWLY Daryl was walking away from The Nest and towards that boat. He was really dragging his feet.

Not keen on the serum enhanced walkers, these experiments seem totally pointless, futile and actually laughably ridiculous. The “naturally” developed variants were much more interesting. Like the ones that burn you if they touch you.

I can’t wait for Season 2, and will be great to have Carol back too, pushing from the other end to find Daryl. I also hope they will be brave enough to develop the Isabelle/Daryl romance. Not holding my breath though. Apparently Daryl can only ever have slow burns.

All in all:

Loved the music. Loved the hues. Loved the overall story and the theme of home. Loved the new characters. And most of all loved to see Daryl being Daryl for six great episodes and so damned beautiful and fabulous throughout.

Very well done everyone who worked on the show.

Over to you Mz L!

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:17 am

I have watched again as life poured in after watching this finale. :x

Satiating finale with very few missteps. I like having faith in the writers and show runners as it makes it so fun and easy to take this ride, suspending disbelief and sinking into the scenery and sweetly developed characters.

I am bonded and that is everything.

I’m even loving the choreographed fight scenes as they are smart and filmed so well. There is brotherhood, there is nobility, and there is politics on display backfiring for the elite where the underdog is so compelling the crowd cannot help but cheer him on. It’s an ancient meme, but it’s always a treat to watch Daryl in his element.

Within these moments, however, lies an inherit sorrow that this is how our hero must ultimately demonstrate his strengths and save the day time after time. That his poor psyche is not shattered and tattered beyond repair is something to behold. He is a reluctant hero who is repeatedly forced to pan for gold amongst the broken, and these brave likeminded souls come to his rescue as well and make the fight worth it. A shot rings out from the crowd just as a corrupt ruling class attempts to decimate Daryl in spite of his win in the “lion’s den”.

Nay, I’m not a fan of the enhanced walkers but I’ve never been a fan of any walker so it is business as usual for moi!

Quinn is redeemed in his last moments, though he wants credit and Daryl will oblige and protect this moment of chivalry for both Quinn and Isabelle. It was such a tense scene where Laurent had to “become a man” and save Isabelle under Daryl’s direction through bars from his own father. There are so many circular moments where the unthinkable has to be done, particularly by loved ones or relatives. That Laurent had to put Quinn down was classic TWD story style. Gaaaaahh!

I became attached more quickly to this group of freedom fighters. Of course, I love Isabelle and the interactions between she and Daryl. So much honesty. Too slow of a burn again, yes again…come on now - we cannot do this again. Period.

Love that Codron turned and showed depth of insight overcoming blind rage. A great twist on the trajectory of the story. That he admitted to shooting the men who demanded he shoot Laurent surprised me. He now sees who he has been supporting…a single-minded woman who believes in her own feverish approach.

Sophie Hunter - The song while heading to the Nest…sublime. (I needed more from the intimacy between our main couple here. Surprised?)

The scenes at Mont Saint-Michel were beautiful, I so agree! Such a historic and interesting place. Daryl leaving without engaging Isabelle was sad to me, then the conversation she had with him was so grown up - I love that. She is honed and humble, and never fails to thank him in spite of her need for more of him. He is honest in return and it is understandable that he guards his heart at this point because he feels he must get back to help his loved ones - of course he does.

Daryl’s walk to the coast was beyond beautiful as well, through the tall reeds and these many muted hues. Gorgeous. Daryl, in his diamond in the roughness is also quite striking against this backdrop. I suppose I was deeply enmeshed as the fact he found his grandfather’s grave didn’t strike me as odd. :sign0144: Family is such a strange soup for this man. He shed a tear. For whom? Himself? His grandfather / family…was there pride as well? Man’s man, our Daryl. So very dimensional.

Additionally, I wasn’t surprised by our little annoying Laurent being a fly in the ointment. Loved the soundtrack during this episode. Such a good ending panning away from the beach…the lost to him ship.

Carol? Well, I remain open-minded. You know I have a love / not love relationship with her. I’ve cheered her on. I’ve cringed at her behavior at times. Still, I see her as Daryl’s older sister who is ride or die when she can muster the emotional stamina.

So, here we go! I am so loving this show. I hope they keep the flavor going strong. They are like family now. A little more soap and a little less walkers is very nice! Mostly, I love Daryl…I love Isabelle…I love the cinematography and scenery and music. This is in the Yes Pile!

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 am

Thank you, Lori, for taking this journey with me, and I’m delighted you’ve enjoyed it. Lovely review, and all music to my ears. And also thank you for the reminder of this gorgeous French song. I adore it. Though its melancholy is literally breaking my heart. I’m having it play on a loop as I’m typing this.

Really, all the Frenchness of this series has been the making of this show, it’s why it’s so unique and fresh despite some inevitably repeated themes, because there’s nothing really new under the sun, except creating exciting new juxtapositions and fascinating new worlds to tell old stories. It certainly helps to have a beautifully layered character like Daryl being in the centre of it, but having him adventures in France was a stroke of genius. Also to put this particular character, who is all about family and belonging, in a situation where his fervent wish to return to his loved ones gets overridden by his even more powerful desire to stay with his unexpected new family. No one is more surprised than Daryl to realise this. He’s been fighting it helplessly, dragging his feet towards the boat to take him back to America, and the sight of Laurent was all it took to have him decide to stay, for now. A decision that he’s been afraid to make but felt absolutely right. I wonder if Laurent is actually truly there on that beach, or Daryl has just been imagining him. That would make more sense to me, if it was a hallucination. Or more precisely a manifestation of where his heart was pulling him.

Regarding Carol I fully agree. I hope she won’t play a major part in Season 2 unless she comes over to France. We don’t want her separate story to steal time from us following Daryl’s French adventures. If she comes over to help kick some French ass, that’s much more preferable. Right?

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:17 am

Le Vent Nous Portera

Je n'ai pas peur de la route
Faudrait voir, faut qu'on y goûte
Des méandres au creux des reins
Et tout ira bien
Le vent nous portera

Ton message à la Grande Ourse
Et la trajectoire de la course
Un instantané de velours
Même s'il ne sert à rien,
Le vent l'emportera
Tout disparaîtra
Le vent nous portera

La caresse et la mitraille
Et cette plaie qui nous tiraille
Le palais des autres jours
D'hier et demain
Le vent les portera

Génétique en bandoulière
Des chromosomes dans l'atmosphère
Des taxis pour les galaxies
Et mon tapis volant
Le vent l'emportera
Tout disparaîtra
Le vent nous portera

Ce parfum de nos années mortes
Ce qui peut frapper à ta porte
L'infinité de destins
On en pose un et qu'est-ce qu'on en retient?
Le vent l'emportera

Pendant que la marée monte
Et que chacun refait ses comptes
J'emmène au creux de mon ombre
Des poussières de toi
Le vent les portera
Tout disparaîtra
Le vent nous portera

I love these first lines: I am not afraid of the road, we'll have to see - we'll have to taste it.......everything will be fine - the wind will carry us.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:28 am

Dee wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:19 am
Thank you, Lori, for taking this journey with me, and I’m delighted you’ve enjoyed it. Lovely review, and all music to my ears. And also thank you for the reminder of this gorgeous French song. I adore it. Though its melancholy is literally breaking my heart. I’m having it play on a loop as I’m typing this.

Sometimes songs are simply just right for the moment. It is filled with one of my favorite companions, melancholy, but also speaks of hope and giving in to the tide. So lovely!

Really, all the Frenchness of this series has been the making of this show, it’s why it’s so unique and fresh despite some inevitably repeated themes, because there’s nothing really new under the sun, except creating exciting new juxtapositions and fascinating new worlds to tell old stories.

That is the crux of it, isn't it? In watching the making of the series, I think this choice really helps the actors themselves lean into the story and want to bring their A-game within this beauty and effort. Norman speaks of a different work approach and work ethic of the French, not by way of disparaging the makers of TWD but indicating it all adds that certain je ne sais quoi. To work under this freshness, mystery, and history blossoms scene after scene. Very wonderful. Très formidable!

It certainly helps to have a beautifully layered character like Daryl being in the centre of it, but having him adventures in France was a stroke of genius. Also to put this particular character, who is all about family and belonging, in a situation where his fervent wish to return to his loved ones gets overridden by his even more powerful desire to stay with his unexpected new family. No one is more surprised than Daryl to realise this. He’s been fighting it helplessly, dragging his feet towards the boat to take him back to America, and the sight of Laurent was all it took to have him decide to stay, for now. A decision that he’s been afraid to make but felt absolutely right. I wonder if Laurent is actually truly there on that beach, or Daryl has just been imagining him. That would make more sense to me, if it was a hallucination. Or more precisely a manifestation of where his heart was pulling him.

That is a really interesting take on Laurent as an apparition representing Daryl's new longing within his winged heart. I doubt that is the case, but I think you should be consulted by the writers as I actually prefer it! Family and belonging has gently been holding him to his center since he was at the convent. Ah me...

Regarding Carol I fully agree. I hope she won’t play a major part in Season 2 unless she comes over to France. We don’t want her separate story to steal time from us following Daryl’s French adventures. If she comes over to help kick some French ass, that’s much more preferable. Right?

But of course, mon amie!!!!! If she packs up Daryl and takes him back to the dank woods of TWD, it will feel like a pink elephant sale...yard sale...compost pile. This French immersion must continue with all its shades of purples creams and greys!!

:x

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:10 pm

The reason I thought it might be a hallucination/projection is because it would have been quite an achievement for Laurent to catch up with Daryl, even if Daryl was going rather slowly, which he was. And also how Isabelle wasn’t on his heels. But maybe she was and we will see that in the first episode of Season 2. But also they used a hallucination already in the show earlier, when Daryl had the vision of Laurent standing in the tunnel with zombies coming at him, and he was praying, and the zombies didn’t touch him, just walked past. Now this was when Daryl nearly drowned in the catacombs, looking for Laurent. And the hallucination was Daryl’s mind trying to make sense of Laurent’s “specialness” but also a wishful thinking that the missing little punk would be safe. So a very different purpose. Who knows. We will find out eventually. :57:

• Information