Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

11x18 ‘A New Deal’

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

The survivors make a deal with Pamela; the Commonwealth celebrates Founders Day.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:50 am

Not another Founder’s Day celebration! :57: Probably will be just as much trouble - if not more?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:53 am

Ok, perhaps more. Plenty of gruesome deaths. :shock:

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:14 am

A much better episode for me than the previous one. I’d give it 9.

Oh my god, Daryl. :035: :035: :035:

Loved the montage from the past at the beginning, just like last week’s, it’s proving to be very emotional.

And can we just take a moment to acknowledge how incredibly sexy an angry man can be, especially when they are restraining their anger. I was just floored by Daryl in this episode from start to finish, but that opening sequence was really something else. A total shocker too, him going for Lance after he appeared to let go of him. Lance deserved so much more, so he should be relieved Daryl let him get off relatively lightly. :017: The look on Negan’s face though, how impressed he was, priceless. I have found myself internally cheering too, amidst worries of who I’ve become to not just condone such act of violence, but finding the perpetrator so irresistibly attractive. :017:

So I’m totally into this story of Carol making this deal, and all the complications it entails, whether to leave or try to stay and start a revolution to overthrow the Miltons.

I hate the idea of them having to start all over again in this hostile world out there, as a small group. The kids need stability. They all do. I want them to stay and make the Commonwealth work for them. It’s time they had some peace.

Some of our people will surely be conflicted about leaving. It seems like Annie might need to stay for starters, for medical attention, despite what she’s saying about leaving now. Something is being set up here, that will lead to Negan going on a mission with Maggie, and not Annie, in the spin-off.

The tape recording and its play-back was very satisfying, as was jackass Sebastian’s demise, but now we will have a major fallout from this, and everyone will be in danger again, no surprise there.

Daryl snapping and then making up with Judith, him talking about his childhood and telling Judith how he feels out of his depth in this parenting role but he’s trying real hard… just how many times can this man break my heart in one episode?

The show is really exciting right now and I can’t wait to see what’s next. Will they stay? Will they go? If they stay, how will that work?

And we still don’t know what has happened at Oceanside. Did Lance massacre them or let them live? That’s where Aaron’s group is heading, so we should soon find out. Lydia and Elijah, sweet young love. Nice moments between her and Carol and Daryl. Wish we could see more of Lydia, I love her character and miss her.

So over to you Lori. Hope you have enjoyed this episode?

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:53 pm

Dee wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:14 am
A much better episode for me than the previous one. I’d give it 9.

Oh my god, Daryl. :035: :035: :035:

Oh yes, my dear - this was a healthy hopping helping of one Mr. Daryl Reedus. I am joining you here as the first episode has not stayed in my brain and I think you covered it beautifully. Plus, this is such a great Daryl-centric episode. I loved it a lot.

Loved the montage from the past at the beginning, just like last week’s, it’s proving to be very emotional.

And can we just take a moment to acknowledge how incredibly sexy an angry man can be, especially when they are restraining their anger. I was just floored by Daryl in this episode from start to finish, but that opening sequence was really something else. A total shocker too, him going for Lance after he appeared to let go of him. Lance deserved so much more, so he should be relieved Daryl let him get off relatively lightly. :017: The look on Negan’s face though, how impressed he was, priceless. I have found myself internally cheering too, amidst worries of who I’ve become to not just condone such act of violence, but finding the perpetrator so irresistibly attractive. :017:

I think that is a very interesting point. An angry man showing restraint can be a sexy thing particularly when you inherently trust deeply his reactions and instincts. There is an element of soothing in that type of confidence and indeed competence, knowing this man could decimate basically anyone he encountered. Often, Daryl is underestimated by his foes due to his long fuse and metered exterior. Those who know and love him understand his power. That was a violent but incredible scene. I liked it because it underscored that no matter what transpires with Lance in the "justice system", his transgressions will not go unanswered as there is a very capable, fearless, and determined leader of the pack on his scent and he will not let up. He is protector. Negan's reaction was priceless. The phrase "peace doesn't necessarily mean the absence of war" comes to mind. Daryl fights a war that keeps the peace more oft than not. It's a strange dichotomy.

So I’m totally into this story of Carol making this deal, and all the complications it entails, whether to leave or try to stay and start a revolution to overthrow the Miltons.

Oh Carol. I still stifle a bit of a yawn with her. It is a good storyline and I will await the smashing details. This writing team is on its mark so far.

I hate the idea of them having to start all over again in this hostile world out there, as a small group. The kids need stability. They all do. I want them to stay and make the Commonwealth work for them. It’s time they had some peace.

Some of our people will surely be conflicted about leaving. It seems like Annie might need to stay for starters, for medical attention, despite what she’s saying about leaving now. Something is being set up here, that will lead to Negan going on a mission with Maggie, and not Annie, in the spin-off.

Ah! Yes, Annie and the baby do not face very good odds knowing the spin-off is happening. Negan is so thrilled about the prospect of having a baby that this will probably be the universe doling out his punishment. There cannot be a "happily ever after" for this man...not yet anyway. He is a doll baby with that little dimpled half-beard. Oh wait, that is JDM.

The tape recording and its play-back was very satisfying, as was jackass Sebastian’s demise, but now we will have a major fallout from this, and everyone will be in danger again, no surprise there.

Daryl snapping and then making up with Judith, him talking about his childhood and telling Judith how he feels out of his depth in this parenting role but he’s trying real hard… just how many times can this man break my heart in one episode?

Daryl (and Norman of course) was stellar in this episode. The scenes with Judith were so touching and we finally see these past couple of seasons the depth of Daryl. That he initially kind of lost his shit with her was apt and real. I love the mutual respect shown as each deserves it. Judith is a tough little sprite. Of course she is - look at her parentage with all three of her parents. It does feel a bit odd that Michonne/Rick are not worked even a little bit into the fabric of the story at this point, knowing the series will end. Some hints or profiles or shadows would be nice.

The show is really exciting right now and I can’t wait to see what’s next. Will they stay? Will they go? If they stay, how will that work?

And we still don’t know what has happened at Oceanside. Did Lance massacre them or let them live? That’s where Aaron’s group is heading, so we should soon find out. Lydia and Elijah, sweet young love. Nice moments between her and Carol and Daryl. Wish we could see more of Lydia, I love her character and miss her.

Agreed about Lydia. She seems underutilized right now.

So over to you Lori. Hope you have enjoyed this episode?
Excellent episode so full of classic TWD sentimentality and surprise. I enjoyed it immensely and love that the characters generally are doing what we would hope for them. It's been a long relationship we have with this series and these amazing warriors making their way through chaos. Onward!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:02 am

It’s so wonderful to share this with you Pic. Thank you. And I’m so glad that you’ve actually enjoyed this episode too.

And thank you for the Daryl/Judith clips, they’re all kinds of wonderful. This relationship is everything.

I loved what you’ve written about Daryl, all of it. How he’s fighting a war most of the time that keeps the peace. Literally and metaphorically, on every level.

You also wrote Often, Daryl is underestimated by his foes due to his long fuse and metered exterior. This made me smile. It’s very true. But remember the Daryl we first met? The angry, impulsive hothead? How he changed over the years… because he needed to adapt. To keep his cool in crisis. His last big lesson was probably Glenn’s death. He’d forever blame himself for that even though it was never his fault. But the “what if he’d just suppressed his anger and impulse at that time“ will haunt him forever.

I’m sorry you’re not feeling Carol… I get it. The only storyline with her now is what a badass she is, and that might not be enough interest after near ten years of her being a classified badass. I hope there will be something more coming for her to make you appreciate her character again. I always liked Carol’s character, but she’s never been one of my favourites either. Right now I’m choosing Rosita and Princess as my favourite females on the show.

Lol, your appreciation for JDM and his dimple. It’s a very tricky thing to have such an adorable man playing a villain. I feel much less conflicted now that he’s playing a reformed man. But his story is far from over, apparently.

Totally agree on the lack of Rick and Michonne so close to the end. I wish they’d incorporated their story into the main show to culminate in a big big reunion for the whole of Team Family, rather than attaching it as an appendix to the main show in the shape of a spin-off. Oh well.

Enjoy catching up, Pic. :x

• Information