Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

11x12 ‘The Lucky Ones’

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:51 am

Aaron and Maggie meet Governor Pamela Milton as she tours Alexandria, Oceanside and Hilltop; Ezekiel finds himself lucky during a routine checkup; Eugene processes Max's story.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:37 pm

Will have to rewatch this one, because I really enjoyed it. After last week's lame ass episode, this one was great, I thought.

Loved the Daryl/Mercer bonding, and as far as new characters go, Mercer is interesting, as he seems rather conflicted. His budding relationship with Daryl and Princess certainly helps his rating.

Just when I thought I had more than enough of Eugene's love life, I found myself very much enjoying his rapport with Max. This is a great pairing and I'm here for it. I just wish they hadn't done all this fake Stephanie bullshit before, because that was just beyond ridiculous.

I loved how Maggie held her own and wasn't swayed by Pamela and Lance. She knows there's always a price to pay, and she can tell Lance cannot be trusted. I really enjoyed Maggie in this episode.

I thought the way Diane and the others just set off and left Maggie was unrealistic. After all they had been through, there could and should have been a bit more of a heartfelt goodbye and a "hope to see you soon" from their part. The show has always been weak on these things and extras' reactions. It always bugs me.

It was lovely to see all the three communities again, if briefly.

So this episode might have been my favourite one of the latest offerings, along with the opening episode. Not much more to say.

Except that the writing pissed me off when Maggie only mentioned Dianna and Georgie from whom she'd learnt how to lead a community. What about Rick fricking Grimes? Hm? Really, writers?

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:09 pm

Dee wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:37 pm
Will have to rewatch this one, because I really enjoyed it. After last week's lame ass episode, this one was great, I thought.

I am on board with this one. I suppose the bar was set quite low from last week's episode!

Loved the Daryl/Mercer bonding, and as far as new characters go, Mercer is interesting, as he seems rather conflicted. His budding relationship with Daryl and Princess certainly helps his rating.

I always have trouble understanding the dialogue on this show even with the volume sky high - I think I am going to use closed caption from this point on. I had to rewind the scene with them 3 times. I think Mercer is interesting in his role in the community and also some of this humanity shining through as opposed to the buttoned-up leaders clawing their way to control.

Just when I thought I had more than enough of Eugene's love life, I found myself very much enjoying his rapport with Max. This is a great pairing and I'm here for it. I just wish they hadn't done all this fake Stephanie bullshit before, because that was just beyond ridiculous.

"Hanging my head" I too begrudgingly enjoyed this scene and completely agree with the fake Stephanie yawnfest. Certainly there could have been an alternate route to fetter out this story. They are cute together. It seems Rosita was immediately right that Eugene had a person out there ready to eat ice cream and concoct C movie scripts.

I loved how Maggie held her own and wasn't swayed by Pamela and Lance. She knows there's always a price to pay, and she can tell Lance cannot be trusted. I really enjoyed Maggie in this episode.

Watching the way Pamela, Lance & Co. interact with everyone was an education for Maggie. Yes, they've accomplished an amazing feat in this new world but why not build it back better with more humanity abounding? How hard to reject these creature comforts and constructs of a seemingly thriving community - I loved she held her own as this house is built on faith and respect rather than power.

I thought the way Diane and the others just set off and left Maggie was unrealistic. After all they had been through, there could and should have been a bit more of a heartfelt goodbye and a "hope to see you soon" from their part. The show has always been weak on these things and extras' reactions. It always bugs me.

Agreed. The separation is understandable yet it feels like Diane and the others would have more respect for Maggie's take on the situation and at the very least join her in deep reflection and jointly weighing the options and impressions of this new place.

It was lovely to see all the three communities again, if briefly.

So this episode might have been my favourite one of the latest offerings, along with the opening episode. Not much more to say.

Except that the writing pissed me off when Maggie only mentioned Dianna and Georgie from whom she'd learnt how to lead a community. What about Rick fricking Grimes? Hm? Really, writers?

That was so foreign sounding. I would imagine even Lauren Cohen would pause and go WTF? Is Maggie really leaving Rick out? Hmm. It feels appropriate this is the final season with these oversights. Now, perhaps they don't want to bring Rick's name into this season yet for nummy reasons. Is that giving too much credit?
Better episode but really in the scheme of things was subpar as well imho. They are at this point really relying on the hardcore fans who will be there until the end and love the series for what has come before. I will march on an stand corrected, hopefully!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:15 am

Now, perhaps they don't want to bring Rick's name into this season yet for nummy reasons. Is that giving too much credit?

Maybe. I hope so. I mean, they can’t finish the mother show without some Rick stuff - even if he won’t appear, they’ll need to let his survival be known to our group by the end of the series, as well as Michonne’s whereabouts. That’s a bare minimum. And it’s what will probably set up the Daryl and Carol spin-off, as I presume they’ll go off after Michonne to get her and Rick back?

They are at this point really relying on the hardcore fans who will be there until the end and love the series for what has come before.

Can’t argue with that, it’s the absolute truth.

I will march on an stand corrected, hopefully!

Well, maybe not fully corrected, because the show was insanely good back in its first 5 seasons. I think it would be impossible to get that magic back. The world of the show has become so much bigger. Inevitably the intimacy of following only a handful of characters has been compromised. But I think there’s quite a bit I still enjoy in show. Maybe I’m rooting for it to finish on a high… I know I am. There are a lot of issues. But also a lot of good stuff still. Some really good episodes still to come for you, Pic.

• Information