Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

11x08 ‘For Blood’

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:43 pm

The Reapers defend Meridian from an incoming herd; Pope suspects Maggie is behind the attack, while Daryl treads carefully; Alexandrians scramble to protect themselves when a violent storm leaves them vulnerable to walkers.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:25 pm

Oh. My. Days. OH! MY! DAYS! What a place to stop for a hiatus! Flipping heck!

Well I was on tenterhooks all the way through. I must admit I felt a bit impatient with the Alexandria scenes because the tension and delicate complication of the situation at Meredian was so thrilling. Daryl walking on thin ice all the time, trying to play it just right, that was just so brilliantly suspenseful. Great writing, direction and very good acting from both Norman and the actress who plays Leah. An impossible situation here between the two of them, both having genuine feelings for the other but not strong enough to choose the other over their adopted families. So the episode ends with Daryl confessing to Leah that he's betrayed her, then after a momentary collaboration to bring Pope down, Leah betrays Daryl, but leaves him enough time to escape. And this is still far from over. I’m no fan of this relationship - it’s been toxic from the start with Leah demanding Daryl to choose. But strangely enough I have ended up liking this storyline.

I really hoped this war would be resolved by the end of this episode but we are well and truly carrying it over into the next trimester. Oh well.
Leah's brothers still might turn on Leah, especially if she were to protect Daryl again in battle. Somehow it doesn't feel like Leah will survive this. It's just a question of whose hands she'll die by. Just please not Daryl. That would be just so goddamn awful.

And may we please just have one moment of Daryl Dixon appreciation here. Our smart, fiercely loyal, beautiful badass Daryl. This episode has unravelled the very essence of him. And Norman has certainly brought his A game.

Back in Alexandria: Rosita is a warrior goddess and I love her. Lovely moment between Carol and Connie: Carol’s relief that Connie holds no grudges against her. Also a sweet scene between Virgil and Judith. Gracie I'm finding very irritating, I'm sorry. How on earth has Aaron failed to train her and kit her out with suitable weapons? The current situation is not looking good for either Gracie or Aaron. One of them could easily die in the next episode, I reckon. That dream a few episodes ago was just a terrible foreshadowing. Well let’s hope it wasn’t.

1 point deducted for too much Alexandria, but otherwise a super strong and well crafted episode in my opinion: I'd give it 9/10.

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:41 pm

Oh no she didn't!!!! Yes, Daryl betrayed Leah first but he didn't send assassins to kill her. He literally offered to have her come with him. That showed loyalty and a deeper plan that involved preserving Leah and also saving his family. Yes, her decision to stay or leave would have been hard but at this point I really don't know why. This clan she has attached herself to is not remotely warm and fuzzy. Now that Pope is a dead end (that was a powerful scene with Leah being the one to take him out), she is perhaps the most logical leader but why would she want to lead this band of broken rather than join a real community? She's been betrayed right and left by her current community. Did they rush to save her in the fire? Um...Daryl did. Daryl was dishonest but protected her and offered her refuge despite all that transpired. He played his hand delicately in this dangerous gauntlet to protect himself and Leah, and he did it well. He didn't have to confess, he could have simply disappeared. She is dead to me for those reasons. I agree it should not be at Daryl's hands. I think Leah and Negan would make a stunning couple.

:57:

This Daryl character has come into his own, hasn't he? When did this start? Well, Norman Reedus basically spent the first handful of seasons relegated to being a mime. Monosyllabic lines written for a true introvert. We like introverts, yes? Ha! I know some of us didn't mind the slow burn and that served his character well, but I always felt them delinquent in opening his story line or at the very least his mouth sooner. It has now come to fruition and NR is delivering with a depth and texture I truly adore. "Why would you do this?" delivered in a soft and disappointed voice - eyes filled with questioning and concern for himself as well as Leah. A lot of actors would have belched the line with a dramatic angry flair. Nope, not NR. He has been using effective glorious subtlety and has been given this gift of finally being able to display his acting skill. Really, kudos to him and also the writers.

Rosita was wonderful as always. I do find myself wondering how our peeps seem to find themselves so ill-prepared, noting along with you, Mz. A, that Gracie logically would be much better schooled on all things self-protection, if not from Aaron then from Judith. What else do they have to do all day in these ramshackle houses? It was too much and felt again a bit like some contractual screen time was being worked in.

All in all another great episode.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Lori wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:41 pm
Oh no she didn't!!!! Yes, Daryl betrayed Leah first but he didn't send assassins to kill her. He literally offered to have her come with him. That showed loyalty and a deeper plan that involved preserving Leah and also saving his family. Yes, her decision to stay or leave would have been hard but at this point I really don't know why. This clan she has attached herself to is not remotely warm and fuzzy. Now that Pope is a dead end (that was a powerful scene with Leah being the one to take him out), she is perhaps the most logical leader but why would she want to lead this band of broken rather than join a real community? She's been betrayed right and left by her current community. Did they rush to save her in the fire? Um...Daryl did. Daryl was dishonest but protected her and offered her refuge despite all that transpired. He played his hand delicately in this dangerous gauntlet to protect himself and Leah, and he did it well. He didn't have to confess, he could have simply disappeared. She is dead to me for those reasons. I agree it should not be at Daryl's hands.

An excellent analysis / totally agree. I’d have thought the death of her “father figure” would have certainly loosened her ties to this group to the point she’d be ready to leave them, especially after the fire incident. We haven’t really seen these guys being kind or supportive to her - so what’s the deal here?

I think it’s Daryl’s betrayal she can’t cope with, it’s like she’s give him a second chance and yet again he put others first. No matter he’s offered to take her with him this time. Maybe there have been too many lies now leading up to this point, she couldn’t be sure any more that Daryl won’t betray her again. I don’t know. I think it’s mostly a pride thing at this stage. Also the unknown whether Maggie was able to get past of what Leah and her group have done at Meridian to Maggie’s new family. It’s an impasse.

I think Leah and Negan would make a stunning couple.

:57:

This Daryl character has come into his own, hasn't he? When did this start? Well, Norman Reedus basically spent the first handful of seasons relegated to being a mime. Monosyllabic lines written for a true introvert. We like introverts, yes? Ha!

Oh we definitely love introverts. :72:
But it’s not actually correct Daryl’s been a mine and monosyllabic in the first sessions. He was a fantastic, multilayered, colourful character with plenty of good dialogue right upto Beth’s death. Then he sunk into deep depression that only deepened after Glenn’s and the show runner (Gimple) struggled with the character. And we got grunting depressed Daryl for the most part for about two seasons. Then Angela Kang took over with great love for the character and especially with Rick’s departure she’s put Daryl and his story lines back in the very heart of the show.

I know some of us didn't mind the slow burn and that served his character well, but I always felt them delinquent in opening his story line or at the very least his mouth sooner.

It’s been utterly frustrating for a long while.

It has now come to fruition and NR is delivering with a depth and texture I truly adore. "Why would you do this?" delivered in a soft and disappointed voice - eyes filled with questioning and concern for himself as well as Leah. A lot of actors would have belched the line with a dramatic angry flair. Nope, not NR. He has been using effective glorious subtlety and has been given this gift of finally being able to display his acting skill. Really, kudos to him and also the writers.

Thank you. I’m so happy you’re enjoying the character and Norman’s delivery. Much as I’m still cross about springing Leah upon us the way they did, their storyline this season was so interesting and both Daryl and Norman shone bright in it.

Rosita was wonderful as always. I do find myself wondering how our peeps seem to find themselves so ill-prepared, noting along with you, Mz. A, that Gracie logically would be much better schooled on all things self-protection, if not from Aaron then from Judith. What else do they have to do all day in these ramshackle houses? It was too much and felt again a bit like some contractual screen time was being worked in.

Maybe that’s what it is! Oh it’s been so annoying. Like that scene a few episodes back when we saw Rosita picking mushrooms and Carol having to tell her that those mushrooms were of the magic variety. Really? Rosita wouldn’t know her local mushrooms by this stage? Oh please.

All in all another great episode.

It’s been pretty good, hasn’t it?

I’m really pleased with the first trimester of the final season. If they will continue in this vein - that will be pretty good.

I can’t wait to see the Daryl/Connie reunion next and Virgil spilling the beans on Rick. Surely he will?

• Information