Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

11x07 ‘Promises Broken’

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 pm

Maggie and Elijah learn a new survival tactic from Negan; Eugene's group clears walkers to pay their fines; Yumiko interviews for an upper-class job; Daryl learns more about Leah and the Reapers; Gabriel encounters a man of God.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm

I liked most of this episode. 8/10.

Points taken for the idiotic Commonwealth scenes. We've already had the pleasure to meet Spencer, the arrogant and stupid son of a leader back in Alexandria. Even that seemed a bit far fetched. But this scene with the guy and girlfriend snogging, totally unaware of walkers, and after they were rescued, complaining about the interruption and a bit mess in the process, and the little shit whining about the smell before... sorry, that was just ridiculous. Ten years+ into the apocalypse? We still have little princes like this? Maybe so, if he's been sheltered here from the start. But still, it was a ridiculous scene and how Eugene didn't even try to tell them what actually happened to defend himself. It was, however, extremely satisfying too watch Eugene punch the annoying little shit in the face.

Another irritating scene was Yumiko's brother getting dragged away by security after his disclosure to his sister how no one should know that's he's a surgeon? Why would they have this discussion in a place that is most likely surveyed? How about the good old open air? And I get that our people are being punished to clear walkers from the buildings, but they wouldn't even give them any protective gear when they obviously have plenty? Why on earth not? This all seems ridiculous to me. Certainly the question “how have you been treated since you got here” can only be answered with negatives. But yeah, they have walls and cake. Is that enough to balance things? Can anyone imagine Daryl Dixon ever choosing to live here? No wonder he’ll be off soon. This whole Commonwealth thing I’m finding more and more ludicrous. The only interesting bit was that it appears Yumiko has just encountered the real Stephanie.

Now to the good stuff:

I'm very curious about the encounter between father Gabriel and the reapers' crazy priest. Surely he should have seen Gabriel too. There will be more on this in the next episode, surely.

Maggie and Negan reaching another level of understanding was good. I liked the honesty, harsh as it was. The herding was clever. Negan teaching Maggie was actually funny. I hope Daryl will still recognise our people in those Whisperers masks and cotton onto what they're doing in good time.

The moment when Maggie recognised Elijah's sister amongst the walkers, and then her comforting Elijah, without words, whilst walking with the dead, that was very beautifully done.

Daryl/Leah stuff: ok, so Leah can still make her own decisions and defy the nutcase reaper in charge. That's reassuring. This is all heading to Leah having to make a choice between Daryl and her so-called family (in which they seem to regularly put each other on fire, including her). This is likely to happen in a heat of a moment (pun intended) as Daryl was interrupted when he tried to suss out Leah at the end of this episode. Will they have a chance for another conversation now when everything will come to a head next episode? And I wonder if Leah will survive this. Somehow I don't want her to return with them to Alexandria. She could have a heroic death protecting Daryl, how about that?

Princess is still adorable. Zeke getting treatment is fantastic.

Very excited about the next episode!

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:00 pm

Dee wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:47 pm
I liked most of this episode. 8/10.

Points taken for the idiotic Commonwealth scenes. We've already had the pleasure to meet Spencer, the arrogant and stupid son of a leader back in Alexandria. Even that seemed a bit far fetched. But this scene with the guy and girlfriend snogging, totally unaware of walkers, and after they were rescued, complaining about the interruption and a bit mess in the process, and the little shit whining about the smell before... sorry, that was just ridiculous. Ten years+ into the apocalypse? We still have little princes like this? Maybe so, if he's been sheltered here from the start. But still, it was a ridiculous scene and how Eugene didn't even try to tell them what actually happened to defend himself. It was, however, extremely satisfying too watch Eugene punch the annoying little shit in the face.

Eye-rolling ensued. Even little shitty preppy assholes should be written and played with a bit more reserve and finesse. These are the frustrating scenes that make me lose interest in these little communities in this show - there always seems to be something just too annoying and less than believable.

Another irritating scene was Yumiko's brother getting dragged away by security after his disclosure to his sister how no one should know that's he's a surgeon? Why would they have this discussion in a place that is most likely surveyed? How about the good old open air? And I get that our people are being punished to clear walkers from the buildings, but they wouldn't even give them any protective gear when they obviously have plenty? Why on earth not? This all seems ridiculous to me. Certainly the question “how have you been treated since you got here” can only be answered with negatives. But yeah, they have walls and cake. Is that enough to balance things? Can anyone imagine Daryl Dixon ever choosing to live here? No wonder he’ll be off soon. This whole Commonwealth thing I’m finding more and more ludicrous. The only interesting bit was that it appears Yumiko has just encountered the real Stephanie.

Ditto. OH! Good grief - Yumiko meeting the real Stephanie did not register with me! Wow.

Now to the good stuff:

I'm very curious about the encounter between father Gabriel and the reapers' crazy priest. Surely he should have seen Gabriel too. There will be more on this in the next episode, surely.

I'm not. :57:

Maggie and Negan reaching another level of understanding was good. I liked the honesty, harsh as it was. The herding was clever. Negan teaching Maggie was actually funny. I hope Daryl will still recognise our people in those Whisperers masks and cotton onto what they're doing in good time.

The Negan/Maggie scenes are good. At least Maggie doesn't have to wonder where he is coming from and neither is Negan in the dark about how she feels. I thought we were done with dermal masks. :( This reluctant partnership is enjoyable to watch, but something that has to be maintained on a high level. I liked when Maggie said, "We will never be even."

The moment when Maggie recognised Elijah's sister amongst the walkers, and then her comforting Elijah, without words, whilst walking with the dead, that was very beautifully done.

Very sad. We've become somewhat numb to these occurrences and then suddenly one hits you in the heart. If you stop to really absorb what poor Elijah was seeing, it is nearly unbearable.

Daryl/Leah stuff: ok, so Leah can still make her own decisions and defy the nutcase reaper in charge. That's reassuring. This is all heading to Leah having to make a choice between Daryl and her so-called family (in which they seem to regularly put each other on fire, including her). This is likely to happen in a heat of a moment (pun intended) as Daryl was interrupted when he tried to suss out Leah at the end of this episode. Will they have a chance for another conversation now when everything will come to a head next episode? And I wonder if Leah will survive this. Somehow I don't want her to return with them to Alexandria. She could have a heroic death protecting Daryl, how about that?

It seems this Leah/Daryl thing is becoming a tad more believable as Leah's layers get peeled open like an onion. This is not the couple then or now we desire. I also am hoping Leah doesn't return. It would be a bummer to have Leah witnessing the reunion of Daryl and Connie, putting an unnecessary "love-triangle" spin where it should not exist. We've had enough of that, right?

Princess is still adorable. Zeke getting treatment is fantastic.

Very excited about the next episode!

Yes, this thing is unfolding nicely. I'm looking forward to driving past this Not-So-Pleasantville community and getting back to brass tacks. Connie is back!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:56 am

Seems like we fully agree on the Commonwealth and the snotty heir to the throne. :roll:

And this made me laugh out loud:

I'm not. :57:

Haha! Poor Gabe!

And hell no to a Daryl/Leah/Connie love triangle. Just hell no.

• Information