Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

3x09 "Heroic"

DawnFae

Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:19 pm

The Handmaid's Tale 3x09 Promo

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

Good gracious. Just when you think this series might be losing its way a little, it hits you with an incredibly powerful episode like this one. A masterpiece of television. I loved this episode, even though it was excruciatingly hard to watch and many times I feared the direction we were heading into. But the episode manouvered very gracefully to show us June find herself again, along with her will to get back to fight this war against Gilead. Rise above her own sorrows, and see the bigger picture. Janine and the Doctor played huge parts in this awakening. Elisabeth Moss yet again showed how phenomenal an actress she is. Mostly understated and ever so quiet, yet such a powerful performance. I loved this episode. One of the best of the entire series, for me.

DawnFae

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Dee wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am
Good gracious. Just when you think this series might be losing its way a little, it hits you with an incredibly powerful episode like this one. A masterpiece of television. I loved this episode, even though it was excruciatingly hard to watch and many times I feared the direction we were heading into. But the episode manouvered very gracefully to show us June find herself again, along with her will to get back to fight this war against Gilead. Rise above her own sorrows, and see the bigger picture. Janine and the Doctor played huge parts in this awakening. Elisabeth Moss yet again showed how phenomenal an actress she is. Mostly understated and ever so quiet, yet such a powerful performance. I loved this episode. One of the best of the entire series, for me.
This episode was like a descent in the abyss, in the deepest depths of hell itself!
It showed the monstrous Gilead machinery and its workings behind the scenes.
Damn straight: the Handmaids are just vessels for the children Gilead says they want above all until they grow up and experience Gilead's cruel ways.
Did it have to be that extreme? I wonder...

The young girl June met in the hospital and her delusions about Gilead and wanting to have children. They program them at a very young age already :roll: c :evil: .
June was punished severely but this descent into madness brought her back to her mission and to the realization that all children must get out of Gilead.
But why only children? Everybody must get out of Gilead...
Aunt Lydia is sick in her mind.
Serena with her stupid remark to June: "you are supposed to be one of the strongest ones"
It was a really tough episode to watch but it was necessary to show the true face of Gilead. They really do mean business with their extreme ways and power hunger.
I have the feeling that June is being observed by a mysterious "eye": someone particularly powerful. Maybe she is an experiment of some sort or some rebel high up is a double agent and is looking for people like June to build a stronger resistance with them.
Only time will tell.
You'll see the next 2 episodes are shockers too.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 pm

You're making me want to watch the next episode right away, Mz K! But also dreading it! :017: :sign0085:

Yes, the episode really drove it home how the Handmaids are basically nothing more than unnecessary and inconvenient masses around their wombs. Even the doctor, who has been kind to June in the end, he has lost some of his humanity in his cynicism. Stoic comments like "no need to worry about scarring" and "sew her up anyways, you can all do with the practice" was horrific to hear. To treat a poor dying soul like this, stripping her off all dignity. Oh dear god.
But there again, his words to June were everything she needed to hear.

It's interesting, but I didn't think Serena's words were stupid. I think she was genuinely shocked, because she'd never seen June like this. She almost seemed concerned. Certainly concerned enough not to get angry about being attacked, and getting help for June.

Such a powerful episode. I'm still reeling, to be honest.

DawnFae

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Glad to hear you liked the episode!
"Stupid" in the sense that Serena can't even begin to understand the horror June has been through already. It was a cruel remark in my humble opinion:
we put you though sheer horror and inflict pain upon pain on you but you have no business being "weak" or showing any signs of break down :roll: .
This is how I saw. It actually made me "angry" about Serena and her condescending ways.
Fair enough Serena had her share of humiliation and suffering at the hands of Gilead and her monster of a husband but she surely never experienced any of the torture the Handmaids went through. That was pretty rich coming from her.
Why did she get her help? Perhaps she feels guilty deep down or who knows exactly what these people tell themselves to keep going and being blind to the plight of other women.
On the other hand maybe Serena just wanted to remind June that she is strong enough to get through anything...
It is a painful story and I am curious about how the disturbing events in the next episodes will be a game changer for the characters entangled in this drama.

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:59 am

Gulp. Yep. I cannot add anything. It was a stellar episode with so many nuances and reactions. I was so relieved when she walked the handmaid out of this world. Go June!

• Information