Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

2x12 'Postpartum'

DawnFae

Sat May 19, 2018 3:36 am

The Handmaid's Tale episode 2x12 - "Postpartum"

Will air on July, 4th, 2018

Synopsis: Offred is sent to a familiar place. Nick is rocked by Gilead’s brutal response to a crime. Emily is assigned to a mysterious new house.

DawnFae

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:39 pm

The Handmaid's Tale 2x12 Promo "Postpartum"

DawnFae

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:39 pm

It looks like Gilead truly means business with this harsh punishment.

The Handmaid's Tale 2x12 - Promo Extended

DawnFae

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:54 pm

This was a very powerful episode. The story does not cease to shock us and what a heartbreaking execution we had to witness!

Poor Eden, she refused to beg for "forgiveness" from the monster Gilead and met her death with surprising strength and faithfulness to the love she felt for Isaac. Both met their cruel death with courage. Shame on Gilead! Shame!

Eden's death will probably be the catalyst for change or rebellion of some of the Gilead's wives.
What a waste!
Gilead desperately want children but are so very quick in taking lives without any hesitation or mercy.
Such a cruel regime will crumble from the inside and will fall under the fierce attacks from the outside.

The commander is a sick, perverted bastard! I can't wait to see him go sooner rather than later.

Serena is also sick but Eden's death seemed to thaw her frozen heart if she ever had one...

I can't wait to see June strike back in the finale! It was very painful to watch them execute Eden and Isaac for nothing actually!

I thought Serena's cruelty towards June was simply unbelievable and the commander went all along and why? It is hard to believe that he has any respect for Serena but who knows? Maybe he is biding his time until she makes a real mistake, something he can "report" to the killing machine Gilead.

What did you Ladies think of this episode!

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am

Another stellar episode, each crafted so artfully they could stand on their own as mini-movies. I was surprised at Eden's reversal of all things Gilead. I was relieved that rather than focus on Nick and get him in trouble, she fell in love. However, her ending was heartbreaking. Love is such a outlier in Gilead, isn't it? Love is the fly in the ointment, the crack in the door, the catalyst that will free the bound. Gilead cannot have love take a winghold.

I found myself wondering if June felt a wee bit of responsibility in encouraging Eden to find love wherever she can in this place. I also believe, DF, that the strength of spirit Eden displayed will embolden June and the others to lift that fist in protest and honor to this beautiful battle cry.

The Waterfords remain as dark and festering as ever....

What do we make of poor Emily's (formerly known as Ofglen) new 'home'? I fear this is an extremely sick and twisted man, gathering science experiments in his home to ogle and perhaps torture. I hope not. If this is the case, we will see Emily either murder him or kill herself. How much more can a person withstand?

DawnFae

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:15 am

Lori wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am
Another stellar episode, each crafted so artfully they could stand on their own as mini-movies. I was surprised at Eden's reversal of all things Gilead. I was relieved that rather than focus on Nick and get him in trouble, she fell in love. However, her ending was heartbreaking. Love is such a outlier in Gilead, isn't it? Love is the fly in the ointment, the crack in the door, the catalyst that will free the bound. Gilead cannot have love take a winghold.

Yes, poor Eden! She turned out to be a good soul despite her young age. I believe that she tasted such a sweetness in her reciprocated love to Isaac that she was ready to die and recognize the monster that is Gilead. It took lots of courage to accept her fate though but just the same, she did not bend to the unloving regime, she died with love in her heart knowing how wrong Gilead is and how hypocritical the power hungry elite are.

I found myself wondering if June felt a wee bit of responsibility in encouraging Eden to find love wherever she can in this place. I also believe, DF, that the strength of spirit Eden displayed will embolden June and the others to lift that fist in protest and honor to this beautiful battle cry.

I think that June might have felt guilty in encouraging Eden to take whatever love she could and run with it but she also knows how merciless and murderous Gilead actually is. Eden's sacrifice for love will only strengthen her resolve to escape Gilead's hell at any cost. The worse that can happen to her is die as did Eden, anything else is just prolongating her stay in a hellish escalating situation. Because let's face it: how many times will any woman / mother bear children to see them taken away from her?

The Waterfords remain as dark and festering as ever....

They are!
The commander is a such a pervert! I hope Nick will eliminate him in the finale of this season!

What do we make of poor Emily's (formerly known as Ofglen) new 'home'? I fear this is an extremely sick and twisted man, gathering science experiments in his home to ogle and perhaps torture. I hope not. If this is the case, we will see Emily either murder him or kill herself. How much more can a person withstand?

I have my worries about that too! This "important" commander is big trouble but hopefully Emily will take him out of the equation for good.
Is there a bottom to this seemingly bottomless pit that is Gilead?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:33 pm

Thank you for your thoughts, ladies. What an emotionally challenging episode. I thought I'd be used to it by now, but it's impossible to get used to this avalanche of pain. Yes, I cried again. :03: :03: :03:

Watching June lying on the floor stroking the floorboards instead of her baby's skin...

Seeing her at the church when the commander revealed Holly. (When will this sick bastard get his comeuppance? At least Serena suffers, but Waterford just revels in his cruel power, this loathsome shit.)

And then the execution of this poor little lamb, Eden. (I'm afraid, much as I cared for this poor child, I really disliked Isaac. He was an indoctrinated young man, like all their generation appears to be, and was kind to Eden, but he also had a rather unpleasant cruel streak, and revelled in violence. He was vile with June and Janine. )

And finally Serena letting June hold and nurse her baby. I think I was practically sobbing by this point.

Serena seems finally broken, by the senseless execution of this sweet little girl who has done nothing wrong but loved.

Gilead desperately want children but are so very quick in taking lives without any hesitation or mercy.
Exactly. Executing children now... what the actual hell. Making the case a spectacle, a deterrent, they hoped. But in the end, it seems like this might be the straw that will break the camel's back. It has certainly seemed so with Serena. A "god help me, this is not what I've signed up for" too many. I can't imagine that she can sustain her part in this any longer. Not when it now comes to killing children.

I was surprised they would kill Eden though. I thought they would punish her by making her a Handmaid, but of course she hasn't proven her fertility yet.

Other cathartic moments: June saying to Eden: "in this world you need to grab love wherever you can get it" and Eden's last words about what love is.

Love is such a outlier in Gilead, isn't it? Love is the fly in the ointment, the crack in the door, the catalyst that will free the bound. Gilead cannot have love take a winghold.
Ain't that the Truth?

I was utterly taken back by the deep honesty of the exploration of breast feeding in this episode. Painfully beautifully done.

I was also moved by Nick's better late than never apology to Eden. None of this was her fault. Nick should have handled this better, but he just couldn't, and I'm glad he could find it in himself to reach out to her in the end.

I have no idea what to expect in the finale tomorrow. I've stayed clear of spoilers. I'm hoping for an escape for June with Holly, but nothing is set up for it, other than the desperately need.

Emily's story has taken a fascinating turn. Utterly mesmerising and disturbing. She's a tough little thing though, I think she will be able to handle herself. I'm very intrigued where this is going.

So excited about the finale. Can't believe how quickly these thirteen weeks have flown.

• Information