Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Abandoned places

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:31 pm

This incredible underwater city, trapped in time, is 1341 years old. Shicheng, or Lion City, is located in the Zhejiang province in eastern China. It was submerged in 1959 during the construction of the Xin’an River Hydropower Station. The water protects the city from wind and rain erosion, so it has remained sealed underwater in relatively good condition.

https://www.boredpanda.com/abandoned-places/

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm

Last house on Holland Island, USA

Image credits: baldeaglebluff

This house was part of what was once a fairly successful small island colony in Chesapeake Bay in the U.S. Rapid erosion of the island’s mud and silt coast, however, meant that there was less and less room to live on the island. This house was the last one left on Holland Island before it too collapsed in 2010.

Moonchime

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 am

Dee wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:34 pm
Last house on Holland Island, USA

I love the way the birds have made their own claim to it.

As for the underwater city in China - it looks just amazing. I imagine it is very popular with scuba divers weaving in and out of rooms and past lives. :!:

NurseRatched

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:01 pm

I couldn't walk away from that abandoned house (Russian). Just so delightful.

I love coming in here and finding these photos! An underwater city?! And the Holland Island house-I must say, the urge to walk out there and investigate is overwhelming :72:

NurseRatched

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:03 am

Here is an interesting one. For years, I have passed this picture on my way to the pool at the gym:

It has always enchanted me, because I love hot baths, hot springs, bathhouses, etc :-D . The subject matter is now an abandoned place in San Francisco. A former mayor of San Francisco was the creator. His idea (and one of his grandest projects) sparked the construction of an amazing glass-roofed structure containing seven salt water swimming pools, fed by the powerful tides at the entrance to San Francisco Bay. It opened in 1890.

Visitors could also view the huge collection of odd specimens he had picked up in his travels, including Egyptian mummies, stuffed polar bears and apes, and totem poles. He even had a train track and train service created to bring residents out to his entertainment palace. The tracks are gone now, but they used to run along the Lands End trail. This link provides more pictures and details, which are so interesting.
http://www.inside-guide-to-san-francisc ... baths.html

Times changed, upkeep was expensive & the site met with a suspicious fire in 1966. The ruins are still there, and you can hike around to your heart's content!

Another related story-a lawsuit. In 1897, an African-American man brought a lawsuit against the bath house because he was not permitted to swim. That story here:
http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/S ... 588731.php

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am

Looks like am amazing place, back in its hayday, and now as ruins. Thanks for the historical insight as well, Mz NR. For a relatively intelligent species umans keep embarrassing themselves with being incredibly stupid.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm

Abandoned Victorian house in New York.

NurseRatched

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:35 am

Oohh, if that Victorian could talk! What a grand house. We live kitty-corner from a huge pink Victorian (in much better shape!); I love all the intricate detail in those homes. What an undertaking to maintain tho... :shock: Thanks, Dee!

NurseRatched

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 am

In case anyone is in the New York City area this weekend, a more in-depth tour of the Ellis Island hospital is scheduled. Abandoned for 60 years...
https://untappedcities.com/2017/11/20/3 ... l-complex/

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:18 am

You've found a goldmine, Mz NR! :x
Unframed – Ellis Island by JR Photo Gallery

An art exhibit titled “Unframed – Ellis Island” is being installed now in Ellis Island’s historic south side buildings. The exhibit will be part of the new public tours to be conducted by Save Ellis Island.

This first time ever south side exhibit is by the artist, JR, who has done work throughout the world. The artist is preparing life size historic photographs of Ellis Island immigrants that will be pasted on 16 or more selected interior walls on the south side of Ellis Island.

The artist’s intent is to evoke a sense of time and place and give context to the human lives that were touched by their time at Ellis Island.

https://www.saveellisisland.org/gallery ... o-gallery/

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:39 am

They're all great, but I'm particularly drawn to this one:

NurseRatched

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:16 pm

:x Wow-you really outdid yourself here! They're all incredible, very haunting. I like the last one, too. So, the missing face-is it just an intentionally blank window or something deeper...a child left behind? A person that died on the journey to the US? I would really like to see this in person!

• Information