Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Abandoned places

Moonchime

Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 am

Dee wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 am
They're all great, but I'm particularly drawn to this one:
I too find this one captivating because the glass makes them seem so ethereal but so real at the same time - and the missing pane??

Brilliant finds NR and Dee. I find the whole collection utterly haunting.
I also really like this one:
It's so mysterious and I find myself wondering about the figures - what they're looking at/talking about. The light adds to the mystery and yet I feel they're really there.

UPDATE from Dee:

If you want to find out more about the artist behind this project, Mz NurseRatched has started a topic thread dedicated to JR's art work. Funny story. :57:

NurseRatched

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 am

Keita Inoue- fabulous photographer of what's left behind...a good place to poke around on a winter's day.
https://leftahead.ca/about-the-photographer

NurseRatched

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:31 am

Abandoned Olympic Venues

A swimming pool from Berlin, Germany's 1936 Olympic Games.

The bobsleigh track from 1984 Winter Olympic Games in Sarajevo.

The canoe/kayak slalom center from the 2004 Olympics in Athens, pictured on July 31, 2014.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am

I like how that bobsleigh track in Sarajevo has been completely reclaimed by nature and graffiti artists. :57:

NurseRatched wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:22 am
Keita Inoue- fabulous photographer of what's left behind...a good place to poke around on a winter's day.
https://leftahead.ca/about-the-photographer

As it's still a winter's day... I'll take you up on your suggestion, NR.

Home page has already won me over:

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:49 am

Still from the above website:

Wouldn't it be lovely to see that attic room from inside too?

NurseRatched

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Yes! I'm sure it's super charming; this house reminds me so much of a house you would see in Lori's neck of the woods. Civil War era. Glad you are checking it out.

And, yes, at least there's some funky art to look at on the bobsleigh track :72: :57: I was so sheltered; I assumed former Olympic venues were used, either in part or in whole, to train new athletes! I didn't realize they are left to rot! :73:

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Stunning thread! Unbelievable structures and echoes of the past left to speak loudly or softly of times gone by. Haunting and beautiful. It boggles the mind at the grandeur abandoned.

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:54 pm

Tequendama Falls Biodiversity and Cultural Museum-House has been created within an abandoned South American mansion situated adjacent to a 132 metre-high waterfall in Columbia. Before its abandonment in the 1990s, this French-style mansion had been the Tequendama Falls Hotel (La Casa del Salto del Tequendama). The original manor house was constructed atop a cliff in 1923 and its design is credited to the architect, Carlos Arturo Tapias. The elite guests of the Hotel del Sato enjoyed an impressive view of the Taquendama Falls on the Bogotá River but the scene became spoilt by the increasing sewage flowing downstream from several settlements, including the nearby city of Bogotá. There are rumours of past suicides at this location, perhaps fuelled by a myth that the indigenous Muisca Indians flew off the falls as eagles to their freedom during the Spanish conquest of South America – possibly, during Columbus’ own lifetime. It was once a sacred spot for the Muisca and plans to expand the hotel to eighteen stories in 1950 did not come to fruition.

No longer abandoned....I may be with Dee here that the mystique is lessened. However, I celebrate that it is utilized!

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:58 am

That's an amazing place, Lori! Thank you for taking us on a tour. I have found myself a little disappointed to see the road behind it and cars...like they didn't belong there. Of course, it's great that they are saving the building, but it's also lovely to see these photographs of what they had found inside before. I mean, this is just incredible! The moss on the bed! So beautiful.

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:32 am

Before its abandonment...

NurseRatched

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:38 am

I saw these photos on my phone, and just had to get to a big screen! WOW. What a gorgeous building. It looks so precarious, perched on the cliff! I'm not sure I could spend a night there-while it was a hotel, that is. Sad that the sewage became an overwhelming issue~gross. What a cool find :x

NurseRatched

Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:37 am

The beautiful Villa Zanelli sits right on the beach on the outskirts of Savona, Italy. Built in 1907 as a residence for sea captain Nicolo Zanelli, this fabulous building was the work of Gottardo Gussoni, a student of Pietro Fenoglio who was one of the most significant engineers and architects of the Italian Art Nouveau (1890-1910). The Zanelli family lived in it until 1933 when they sold it to the Municipality of Milan. During WW2 the building was used as a field hospital and you can still see red crosses on the building today. Between 1967 and 1998 it was a centre for heart disease treatment, it was at this time that one of the ceilings collapsed and so the building was left abandoned and has been this way ever since.

• Information