Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Interesting Architecture Home and Away

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:08 am

In a few weeks' time we are heading to Northern Spain for a two week holiday. So excited.
We are taking our car over on a ferry, arriving in Bilbao one fine morning and I've just ordered our tickets to see the Guggenheim Museum. There is currently a Chagall exhibition in there, which is always a great treat, but I'm particularly excited to see the building itself.

The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is a museum of modern and contemporary art designed by Canadian-American architect Frank Gehry, and located in Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain. It opened in 1997. Built alongside the Nervion River, which runs through the city of Bilbao to the Cantabrian Sea, it is one of several museums belonging to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation and features permanent and visiting exhibits of works by Spanish and international artists.

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation encouraged Frank Gehry to design something daring and innovative.

The curves on the exterior of the building were intended to appear random; the architect said that "the randomness of the curves are designed to catch the light". The interior "is designed around a large, light-filled atrium with views of Bilbao's estuary and the surrounding hills of the Basque country". The atrium, which Gehry nicknamed The Flower because of its shape, serves as the organizing center of the museum.
The museum is clad in glass, titanium, and limestone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guggenh ... eum_Bilbao

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:17 am

Moonchime

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:48 am

It looks absolutely amazing - I love the sweep of its curves. How on earth are you going to do the place justice? You might have to do the building one day and the exhibition another. It'll be great to hear exactly how impressive it is up close and personal.

I try to limit how many paintings I see in a gallery so as to do them justice. It's always so difficult. Where are you going to stay?
You're definitely going to need to sun glasses with all that reflection!! :x

NurseRatched

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:50 am

Fabulous, Dee! And even happier to hear you will be vacationing soon! When I reach the land of reliable internet, I plan to dive into the Harbour. This museum looks amazing :72: :08:

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:11 am

It looks stunning, doesn't it! I'm afraid we are going to have just one day in Bilbao, but we have tickets to enter first thing, so we can take our time.
We are gonna go on a self drive tour of Cantabria, staying in various hotels in the first week, then we might end up camping in the second.

I totally agree with the need to pace oneself in a gallery.

Moonchime

Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:33 am

What an exciting plan Mz D. We tried camping once in Spain - for one night only on our way to Portugal - we couldn't get the pegs in the ground!!!!!!

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:30 pm

Good point, MC. We must go prepared.
Spoiler:

Or just have to accept the harsh reality of having to stay in comfy hotels instead. :25:

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:25 am

Stunning museum. I imagine it will initially be overwhelming....deep breaths and open, open eyes! It will be fun to vicariously share in your latest adventure, Dee!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:37 am

Reporting back from the Spanish trip, besides the Guggenheim, this building was a true stunner:

El Capricho is a villa in Comillas, Cantabria, Spain, designed by Antoni Gaudí. It was built in 1883-1885 for the summer use of a wealthy client.

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:05 am

WOW!! (I was eating, hunched over my computer, & my mouth popped open which allowed my food to drop out!!) GORGEOUS. Please tell me you were able to go inside?! The details on the outside!! It almost looks like a Lego house :72: Can you imagine a life where you go to your summer house in Spain for 3 months? Spectacular.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:15 am

Lol. Sorry about the mess. Yes, we did go inside, and it's lovely inside, but not as whacky as you would think from the outside. I will post a few pics in a moment.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am

• Information