Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

3D Art Gems

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:26 am

~ Małgorzata Chodakowska

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:32 am

~ Rabarama

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 am

~ Paige Bradley, New York

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am

~ Alexander Milov, Odessa, Ukraine

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:24 pm

A week ago we were in Ilfracombe, North Devon. The town has a relatively new attraction: a gigantic (20 metres tall) stainless steel and bronze sculpture titled "Verity", created by Damien Hirst in 2012. The statue stands on the pier overlooking the sea, and will stay there for twenty years, loaned to the town by the artist, who lives locally.

It's a controversial statue to say the least. Some love it, some hate it, but it sure attracts visitors and conversation.

From this angle, we see a beautiful pregnant woman (reminiscent of Degas' Little Dancer)
Spoiler:
She stands on a bunch of law books, holding up a sword, with fierce determination. Behind her back she holds a small scale. So far this is allegory of truth and justice.

But this is not all. You walk around and the other side of the statue reveals parts of the anatomy of the woman: her muscles where the skin is peeled back, the foetus inside her womb, the milk ducts in her breast, and we go even deeper as the right side of the woman's face is stripped back to the skull.

What does it all mean? People are guessing. I feel it's about transparency. If you fight for the truth, for justice, you need to strip yourself down to your core and hide nothing. There's also a strong sense of mortality being brought into focus on a very physical level, whilst depicting a new life.

What do you think, Ladies? Any other interpretations?

You can't help being impressed. The sheer size of the sculpture is breathtaking. It's an incredibly powerful image. From certain angles there is unquestionable beauty, from others it's truly disturbing, at least until you get used to the revelations. It brings you under its spell. You can't stop looking at it. You want to spend time around it, think about it, talk to people about it. But it's uncomfortable. It makes you feel so many contrasting feelings and thoughts, it's unsettling.
It's impossible to answer the question "Do you like Verity?" But I don't think you're actually supposed to like it. You're supposed to do exactly what we did. Walk round it. Look at it from all angles. Think about it. Talk about it. Have a bunch of weird thoughts and theories about it. Tell people about it. Intrigue them. Make them go and look at it themselves. Bring people into the town. Boost tourism. Help the local businesses.

Interestingly, there is another fairly recent statue of a young girl in Infracombe, - seemingly impossible to find out the name of the sculptor. The figurine was commissioned by the parents of a 14 year old Russian girl, Ekaterine, who was in town learning English, and on a foggy day on an excursion to a local hill, she fell off the cliffs to her death in 2000.

This statue draws you in, enchants you before you get close enough to read the background story. It's less than life size, a delicate little sprite dancing in the wind. Her dress faintly suggests wings on her back, but it's just an idea. You can't help but adore it. Once you know the story, you can't help being moved by it. But it's not depressing. The statue is delightful. It's a beautiful testimony of love, life and spirit.

Two statues of young women. Two very different artistic and other motivations. Two very different set of reactions.

Lori
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm

This work by Hirst must be awe-inspiring when seen in person, if only due to the huge scale and location. I was first taken with the strength of the sword in the hands of the 'tender sex'. It is such an odd piece, I have a bevy of interpretations and emotions swirling but not congealing. I'm running the gambit here. It is a collection of contradictions. It touches on social issues...and that of life and death. Protection / defection. I am a mess, really.

Without solid ground, I investigated the artist - wondering what (if any) interpretation he had to offer. He did a similar piece "The Virgin Mother", and a lot of his work depicts a death state in both humans and animals. Or is it life? The two march hand in hand so often. Even appreciation of a field of thriving flowers deals in death, as their life and display is so brief it is all the more valued. Of course, Verity literally means "truth". Is this the new Lady Justice - no longer blind and now bursting and entrenched in life? Fighting with the scales now behind her?

Regardless, Hirst's work wrenches the senses and the viewer's internal compass.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Excellent research, Mz L. Yes indeed, first there was the Virgin Mary, even more controversial than Verity.
Spoiler:
I actually prefer Verity. I dislike the use of colour on the Virgin Mary. That's possibly a step too far realism for me. Verity is more exciting and thought provoking because of its subject matter (truth, justice) entwined with the concepts of mortality and birth.

And yes, Damien Hirst's art is heavily preoccupied with death, and many would say he has a propensity to create "shocking" art. One thing for sure, he certainly keeps people talking about his work.

And you're absolutely right about depicting immense strength. Verity radiates unstoppable power.

NurseRatched

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:10 pm

What struck me about Verity is the honesty. A woman in her most powerful (and vulnerable) state, stripped to the marrow but triumphant. I love it. I feel as if women are criticized and minimized at every turn; it seems that we gain ground in one area, but we are being ripped to shreds elsewhere. No breastfeeding in public. Don't wear that. You're too sexual. You're not sexy. Let me man-splain that to you & drown you out. AHHHH!!! Enough. We all came out of a woman. This statue says it. This is where we all started. So get over it. ( I am not nearly as eloquent; I have nurse- mush brain most of the time, so bear with my 1st grade interpretations of things...)

Lori
Site Admin

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:59 pm

"A woman in her most powerful (and vulnerable) state, stripped to the marrow but triumphant." ~ NR

I so agree with the word 'triumphant'. There is no maybe about this piece. A warrior with momentum, having conquered. Not only is this woman simultaneously at her most powerful and vulnerable state, she is life-giver and protector.

In looking at this piece, it showcases for me the increasing roles and demands placed on females. Woman as gatekeeper and equilibrium, and often sole & soul provider. Warriors for the human race, for the world, for justice. Interesting how some of us hone in on the gender here - obviously, the gender is blatantly on display.

Dee says, "I feel it's about transparency. If you fight for the truth, for justice, you need to strip yourself down to your core and hide nothing."

That statement also rings so true for me. I can see that reflected in Verity. There is not justice without truth. In reality, 'truth' is often a complex, fluid and slippery entity. It is oft times a conclusion arrived at through each individual's personal lens, experiences and limitations. Is there absolute truth? There must be. Are we able to see each facet? There are dimensions we cannot grasp in so many situations. However, we must stride towards it and get as close to it as we are able.

"We all come from a woman.." Yes, I think that is also inherent in Hirst's meaning - particularly since it resembles "The Virgin Mother" so closely. Next, will he do a rendition of Eve with no belly button? Hmm?

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:27 am

How does one sculpt a veil?! This statue was executed in flawless Carrera marble by the renowned Italian sculptor Giovanni Strazza (1818-1875) in Rome. Other examples of Strazza's work may be seen in the Vatican Museums and at the Archbishop's Palace in Milan. The St. John's Veiled Virgin was described by The Newfoundlander (4 December 1856) as the second such work by Strazza on the subject of a veiled woman. It is a goal to travel to Newfoundland to see it in person. I believe you must make an appointment to view it! Has anyone seen Strazza's work in Italy? Please share experiences!

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:31 am

Regarding Verity-"In looking at this piece, it showcases for me the increasing roles and demands placed on females. Woman as gatekeeper and equilibrium, and often sole & soul provider. Warriors for the human race, for the world, for justice." No small task, Mz. L.

Eve is a good suggestion!

NurseRatched

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:36 am

Artist: Do Ho Suh. Installation: Karma, 2003. Urethane paint on fiberglass/resin

• Information