Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

3D Art Gems

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:12 am

Well isn't that a cheerful piece? Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide? Clever. If that doesn't keep you on the straight and narrow, I don't know what will. :57:

The delicacy of the veil carved in marble in that sculpture by Strazza is unbelievable. How? How is that possible?

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:17 am

Talking about strong, brave and triumphant women as in the subject of Verity, this is another statue it has reminded me of, besides the obvious Degas connection:

From Wiki:

Fearless Girl is a bronze sculpture by Kristen Visbal, commissioned by State Street Global Advisors via McCann New York, depicting a Latina girl looking at the well-known Charging Bull (or "Wall Street bull") statue. It was installed on March 7, 2017, at Bowling Green in the Financial District of Manhattan, New York City. The statue measures approximately 50 inches (130 cm) tall, and weighs about 250 pounds (110 kg).

Fearless Girl was commissioned to "send a message" about workplace gender diversity and encourage companies to recruit women to their boards.The plaque below the statue states, "Know the power of women in leadership. SHE makes a difference," with "SHE" being both a descriptive pronoun and the fund's NASDAQ ticker symbol.

This is just all kinds of fantastic. I adore her.
The statue originally was meant to be displayed for a week, but they keep extending the permit, currently one year. There is a strong petition going on to make her permanent! I hope they will succeed.

NurseRatched

Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 am

I love it. We all need to feel her power! She makes me smile; we could use a few smiles in this country right about now!

Moonchime

Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:52 am

This is a favourite statue of mine because it is so full of energy and life. For me it is very similar in style to the wonderful work of Ms Chodakowska. Exuberant and uplifting. It is called "Youth" and was sculpted by Kathleen Scott who was married to Captain Scott (as in Scott of the Antarctic). It is outside the Scott Polar Research Institute in Cambridge. The model for the sculpture was A.W. Lawrence, younger brother of T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia"). Although Kathleen is famous for her marriage to Scott, she was a very interesting woman in her own right.

Dee
Site Admin

Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 am

It's beautiful, and what a great title for it. Have you seen any more of her artwork?

Moonchime

Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 am

The only other work of hers that I have seen in the flesh is the bust of Captain Scott that is positioned above the entrance to the Institute. Of what I have been able to find this is, I think, the most vibrant.

NurseRatched

Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:20 am

An extremely emotive piece; the anatomical detail is amazing. I would love to see it in person! It seems as if one could draw "youth" and energy from the figure, just by being in its presence. And sculpted by a woman; I must investigate her. Thank you for sharing, Mz. M!

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:15 am

Beautiful form! I was curious to see it from all angles. Really exquisite celebration of the body and spirit. I love the photo where the sky and clouds add to the effect. It is such an interesting combination of openness, boldness, celebration, and immersion in life to me. It is just shy of vulnerable because the young man could not be more surrendered in a way, but the sheer abandonment overrides all doubt that this is an expression of strength. The exuberance and freedom of youth.

I would love to see this in person.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 am

Could be easily arranged, Mz L... :x

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:26 pm

NurseRatched

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:28 pm

Dee wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:33 am
Could be easily arranged, Mz L... :x
Crashing in on this party, too...make room for one more!

NurseRatched

Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Random guy in front of an art studio, Portland, OR. For scale, he is tiny; about as long as my forearm (elbow to fingertip) and he's attached to a large rock.

• Information