Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Joana Vasconcelos - "I'm Your Mirror"

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Tile Mural, Porto, Portugal

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Burka, 2002, is about how woman are forced to conceal their identity by donning a burka. Vasconcelos asked her father, then a war photographer, to bring her a burka from Afghanistan; when she donned it she realised how woman as a whole hide their identities through necessity.

Here a crane raises a figure up to the full height of the space. Falling from the top of its trajectory, it makes a frightening crashing sound as it collapses into a colourful circle of skirts, topped by the burka.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 39856.html

Funnily enough, when I first saw this piece from a distance, I saw it from behind, and I didn't realise the blue material was a burka. Perhaps because of its colour, I thought the female figure was a representation of Mary. On one hand lifted up to the heavens, on the other crushed as a mother.

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:43 pm

Moonchime

Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:23 am

Dee wrote:
Funnily enough, when I first saw this piece from a distance, I saw it from behind, and I didn't realise the blue material was a burka. Perhaps because of its colour, I thought the female figure was a representation of Mary. On one hand lifted up to the heavens, on the other crushed as a mother.
That is just amazing Dee - I think your interpretation is at least as powerful as Joana's intention.
I don't really know where to begin in commenting on her work - it is so varied and thought-provoking. I think I prefer the work with fabric to some of her very large metal pieces - all are very clever but some - like the saucepan shoes - I'm not that keen on; they make me smile and I wonder at her ability to think of such things but I prefer her pieces which celebrate her talent with colour and pattern.
Having said that I do like the trellis teapot - it creates such an intricate screen through which to view the world.
I love In Versailles and the knitted chair and Valkyries Elsewhere and the big blob on the wall.
I haven't studied everything in the videos yet so who knows what else will take me by surprise. It has to be said she is huge fun!!! :72:

Lori
Site Admin

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:02 pm

She really does have a broad scope in her work. Very enjoyable and the subject matter intriguing. Clever use of items. It took me quite a while to realize those were pans...of course I knew about the tampons but it is still an awesome creation and handy in the event of a 'restroom' (go ahead and laugh) overflow. I like her experimentation and refusal to be pigeonholed into a certain look or medium. Some may see it as not having a clear voice, but I see a thread through it mostly in the love of color and scale. The large sizes are amazing. I also loved the teapot which feels like a variant. This lady dives in!

• Information