Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Musings About Photography

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 am

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:41 am

NurseRatched

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:43 am

This is from the inside sleeve of "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd. I watched a documentary on the making of that album,
and the photographer spoke about what an enormous pain it was to get this iconic shot. It just made me ponder what it takes to get a really unique, breathtaking photo. It looks like a simple shot to me-ha, not so much.... Wish You Were Here- Mono Lake, California.

“So the first thing that was done was a postcard. The postcard said, “Wish You Were Here”. Po found this fantastic location called Lake Mono, which is such an amazing location, that you could just about photograph a plastic duck in it and you’d like it.” —Storm Thorgerson

“This guy is doing a yoga position in a yoga chair locked into the mud, poor man, with a breathing apparatus on. And he had to hold his breath so I didn’t get any bubbles. That’s all shot for real. It’s not airbrushed or cut in or anything. That was a momento in time on a magical evening with amazing light.” —Aubrey “Po” Powell

Lori
Site Admin

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm

Wow! Before digital easy-fix photography. Interesting history. What is intriguing about the past is the process. Now, we trust that tricks are employed and we assume what we are seeing immediately is computer magical enhancement, whether it be coloration or content. Much like music done in a single take collectively in the studio without pitch correction or other voodoo, organic photography is amazing.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:04 am

Cool photograph. Interesting to know what's going on under the water! It is indeed like music recorded in one take with no tricks, I like that anology, Lori.

Did you guys try to do handstands in the water when you were kids? On one hand of course, as the other was holding your nose? Competitions to see who'd be the last one to collapse, then laugh?
I can imagine it would be a very lonely thing to attempt it on your own.

Thanks for sharing it and the background, NR.

NurseRatched

Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Lori wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:25 pm
Wow! Before digital easy-fix photography. Interesting history. What is intriguing about the past is the process. Now, we trust that tricks are employed and we assume what we are seeing immediately is computer magical enhancement, whether it be coloration or content. Much like music done in a single take collectively in the studio without pitch correction or other voodoo, organic photography is amazing.
Truly. In our mad rush towards perfection (courtesy of technology) we have lost the painstaking process that leads us to that glorious moment of getting "THE SHOT". Not trying to bash current music or digital photography, but think of this photo. The photographer probably wasn't even sure he got "THE SHOT" until he developed the film. It brings us back to the concept of being done with a project, especially a staged photo. You lose some of that creativity, because you know in your heart, through technology, you can make it perfect. The joy of spontaneously getting the photo you want (without using a bunch of interventions to make it look just right) is so satisfying!

Now, having said that, digital photography is incredible & super fun, with all its tricks and filters! It makes the impossible, possible. It makes all of us fabulous photographers!! How great is that?? :72: :x

Yes, Dee, much more fun to do it in a group, as a contest---no question! :08:

Lori
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Hah! On any given summer day, one could see three sisters in the water at our lake cabin doing handstands. Now, it was a quandary because it really was better to hold your nose, but then how to last the longest and win? Better to drown than lose, I suppose!

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:17 pm

:57: How about synchronised swimming?

Lori
Site Admin

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:20 am

...from the archives.

NurseRatched

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:54 am

:57: :72: :57: :72: :57: :72: :57: :72: :57: :72: :57: :72:

Dee