Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Dee's Desert Island Discs

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:55 pm

This is a more recent fave, Lori's present :x :

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:26 pm

I love Karl Jenkins' choral music. An amazing contemporary English composer. Adiemus, The Armed Man, Requiem...

This is Agnus Dei from The Armed Man, which I have sung now a couple of times, and I love all of it, but this movement is just so pure, so sad, it hurts. But it's a beautiful hurt.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:40 pm

And another Agnus Dei from Puccini's Messa di Gloria. I've sung this beautiful choral piece a couple of times too. All of it is just magnificent. But this ending piece is something sublime. A duet between a tenor and a baritone, singing their parts on their own first, with the choir adding their own bit in between. And then the two male voices combine in this wondrous harmony (about here the tears start to fall) and then the choir joins in and then it all fades away so majestically yet simply, with no fuss. I feel this music in my every tiny particle.

Dee
Site Admin

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

Sometimes it utterly overwhelmes me how much I love music. How can humans create such incredible beauty? And how come that a mere arrangement of sounds can stir so many deep emotions? What is this sorcery?

Lori
Site Admin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Beautiful and eclectic selections, Mz. D.

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 am

I love thinking about it like that: Music not just conveying, channeling, expressing or interpreting emotions but as raw feelings manifesting themselves in their truest and most natural form. After all, the best musicians are the ones whose instruments are like an extension of their bodies, can make them sing... And I think we all agree here that singing is one of the ultimate experiences of letting ourselves feel. It kinda blows your mind, this understanding, doesn't it? As we are deepening it by constantly peeling layers off to get to the gem of the truth of it all...

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:23 am

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm

My Lori's recommendation of bloodletting reminded me of this song from the past... 'Bloodstream' by Stateless. Still stuns me. All those metallic sound effects throughout, the chords in the bridge, the beautiful lyrics...

Wake up look me in the eyes again
I need to feel your hand upon my face
Words can be like knives
They can cut you open
And the silence surrounds you
And holds you

I think I might've inhaled you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You've gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me

The spaces in between
Two minds and all the places they have been
The spaces in between

I tried to put my finger on it
I tried to put my finger on it

I think I might've inhale you
I could feel you behind my eyes
You've gotten into my bloodstream
I could feel you floating in me

And of course, there is a beautiful kiss that's wrapped forever into this song...

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:56 pm

My husband's introduced me to The Cure, and I will be forever grateful. Let's have 'A Forest' from the marvellous BTE 'Seventeen Seconds'.

• Information