Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Iris's Desert Island Discs

Iris

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:31 pm

NurseRatched wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:33 pm
Hello, Iris! I am still on Sophie Tucker over here! I have never heard that song before; the lyrics are quite something. So poetic and touching, especially because I am a mom and I have an aging mother. Thanks for the introduction. I was reading about Sophie Tucker. She was an amazing woman; outrageous & unconventional with quite the business sense. A soldier during World War II wrote to tell her that his platoon blasted one of Tucker’s most famous recordings (happens to be this song) from speakers over the rubble of Berlin for eight straight hours! That must have gone over well with the Germans. ;)
Hello, NurseRatched. How lovely to "meet" you. I'm so overwhelmed that you researched Sophie Tucker and am smitten with the story! I was so emotionally engrossed in my own (his)tory of Yiddishe Mama that I couldn't see beyond it. Thank you for drawing me out of my bubble. My 9 year old is currently studying WW2 at school and will love that story, linked to the grandmother he never met. You have given us a wonderful gift - thank you :58:

Iris

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Dee wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:25 am
I've had this song playing on a loop this morning.
It's clearly about some insatiable longing...for what exactly? A past lover? Looking at the video it feels so much more universal than that, like 'youth' itself. Thinking about a group of funloving youngsters on a barge playing this very song... that's settled in my mind. Like it was already laced with nostalgia at the moment of living it.
Ooh, you are such a wonderfully lateral and deep thinker, Dee. I love the idea that we created nostalgia at the point the Mylene's voice enveloped us. Do you think that can happen in reverse? I think NurseRatched's post re Sophie Tucker may have tones of reverse nostalgia (or something!) - not sure I'm making any sense :? What I mean is that ST was nostalgic for me, NR gave my feelings new life in the present, about the past, and now I'm bouncing between past and present with the story by passing it all onto my offspring. Someone clever make sense of this for me please! ;)

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:53 pm

What? It makes perfect sense, Mz Iris. :57:

Iris

Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:59 pm

That is a perfect image of me at present! It must be karma after the apple and grape-slaying!!! :57:

NurseRatched

Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:46 pm

"My 9 year old is currently studying WW2 at school and will love that story, linked to the grandmother he never met. You have given us a wonderful gift - thank you :58:"

Excellent! I'm happy you could share that with your kiddo. Looking forward to coming back onto your desert island again...(if work would just go away, I could hide in the Harbour :72: )

Dee
Site Admin

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:51 am

Don't you just love it when life produces these exciting full circles?

Living in the Harbour? Yes please. Wouldn't it be great if that was our full time job?
That is a perfect image of me at present! It must be karma after the apple and grape-slaying!!! :57:
Mz Iris, I'm wondering if you should let these lovely people here in on the secrets of your extracurricular activities! :72:

(In the Welcome Board there is a topic thread called 'Such Fine Company' where you can leave a little introduction of yourself, if you like.)

NurseRatched

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:26 am

Please do, Mz. Iris-I looked for an introduction but found none. Dee has me intrigued about "secrets of extracurricular activities ". Are you quite famous? Grape-slaying...hmmmm...a vintner? Professional jam-maker? Gardener to the Queen? 😃 No pressure to divulge, of course. Just happy you're here!

• Information