Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

Rhea's Desert Island Discs

Rhea

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:30 pm

I've been visiting these pages and marveling at the plethora of good music. Alas, I'm hindered by my long established practice of listening to some jazz ,some Greek Folk music and a lot of classical. Any comment from me would bring the axiom -albeit paraphrased- "Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt" to life like a blossoming rose. So, I will listen and appreciate your choices and keep silent. I hear silence is in style lately.

Dee
Site Admin

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:08 pm

Silence is golden indeed, but in this particular area of the Harbour we have music blasting out from every corner, Mz R. And this particular corner here will be playing beautiful jazz, classical and Greek folk music to delight us all. NurseRatched is very partial to jazz, I've noted, so am I. You've introduced me to some gorgeous classical pieces in the past. I'm looking forward to more. It would be lovely for you and for us to have all your favourites here in a beautiful bouquet of music. May I start the ball rolling with something that I know I will forever be grateful for and I know you'd definitely be choosing? This heartbreaking Serenade by Schubert...

Eagerly awaiting which way you'll step from here, Mz R. :x

NurseRatched

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:47 pm

OH my, PLEASE, Mz. R, bring it on-all of it! We all have different tastes and passions, but please do share without hesitation. The piece above is just gorgeous. I love hearing all kinds of music. Greek folk?! Sign me up. I'm intrigued. Welcome to the islands... :039:

Rhea

Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Dear NurseRatched, true to your moniker you opened up Pandora's Box. Enjoy!

The following clip is with Eleni Vitali a Greek singer that I love, as I love this particular song. Greek folk music is called Rembetiko and has its roots in Minor Asia where the Greeks had a vital community during the Ottoman Empire and afterwards, until they were driven out much like the Armenians and butchered on their way to escape.They brought this music to Greece and at the time it was considered brazen and was associated with misfits. Today it is thriving and has finally received he appreciation it deserves. It's a mixture of love, despair and human endurance as well as death and suffering. And yet it is so damn celebratory and uplifting.

I have attempted a haste translation of the lyrics, which is almost sacrilege since it was written by a man who is considered not just a song writer but a poet. But then again, aren't most song writers poets? What say you songstresses among us?

Every time you open a new path in life
Do not wait for midnight to catch up with you
Have your eyes open night and day
Because in front of you a net is always unfolding

If you are ever caught in it's snare
no one will get you out
you alone will have to find the end of thread
and if you are lucky start all over again

This net carries heavy names
they are written in seven sealed quotes
some called it Hades's wickedness
some call it first spring's love.

NurseRatched

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:05 am

Such a tragic history; heartbreaking story, but the music and poetry survives & thrives! Joy from painful oppression. This is a beautiful song and sentiment! The words make sense, considering the fear and hardships the Greeks endured. I love her deep, rich voice. A welcome addition to my Sunday morning coffee....thank you.

• Information