Underland by Robert Macfarlane is a fascinating non-fiction read in The Lazy Book Club.

Let’s chat about Blue Jay in Movie Nights!

NurseRatched's Desert Island Discs

NurseRatched

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm

Since it's coming up on winter, I have to add some of my favorite rainy day/snowy day music. Grab a nice glass of wine or cognac & sit by the fire. John Coltrane is my favorite jazz musician; he overcame a crippling heroin addiction & became one of the most prolific jazz artists in the world.

George Winston-His album "December" is always in the CD rotation this time of year. Perfect hibernation music!

Dee
Site Admin

Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Saving all this gorgeous jazz for tomorrow evening, winding down time... thank you, NR! :x

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:02 am

What a wonderful treat. I've been playing these three tracks a few times over this morning. I haven't come across George Winston before. Ever so soothing. John Coltrane we used to play a lot, a while back, when my son was heavily into playing jazz on his saxophone, and somehow we stopped listening to it, I don't really know why. It's just fabulous. Thank you so much for the reintroduction! I will be playing John Coltrane tonight, a bit for all times sakes too, as we are once again reunited! Sitting by the fire with a drink, as instructed above! Sounds perfect. :x

NurseRatched

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, and also happy to hear you are acquainted with John Coltrane already! Does your son still play? What talent he must have; I've never played a horn, it seems really beyond my capacity!

JC seems to have something for everyone; his slower, more melodic pieces are my favorite. But some of the frenetic, free-range jazz is just crazy good. I have to be in the mood for it.

George Winston lived in Montana, so I knew about him in the '80s. His album December is my fave by a long shot.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:19 pm

It's lovely, I've been listening to it this evening, and we were playing JC as promised over dinner. I prefer the early, mellow stuff, but my baby here likes the crazy experimental pieces too. He's a huge Charlie Parker fan. He's hoping to get back into playing again, he's let it go a bit, unfortunately. He was so good, at one point he was considering it as a career. But he didn't have the will/stamina to practice 5-6 hours a day. He's got a great feel for jazz, and he's also a very good drummer. It's nice to see your kids enjoy playing music... do your boys play?

NurseRatched

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Oh, man, I have always wanted to be a rock drummer & after seeing Foo Fighters, it's reached obsession levels! It's such a gift for a kid to have musical ability to carry with them forever! Good for him!

My oldest son played trombone in elementary school-and he was a natural! His band teacher pulled us aside & said, "This kid could be really amazing!" So, we TRIED to get him to keep playing & follow through. Nope. Both kids seem to have my play-by-ear thing, to some extent. It's a matter of leading a horse to water; we tried to get them into musical lessons, but no luck.

Dee
Site Admin

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:34 pm

You never know when they will turn/return to playing... if they've got that innate talent, it can come out to play anytime... Btw, my boy is no rock drummer :57: , he plays hand drums: darbouka, conga, cajon, djembe...

NurseRatched

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 pm

STILL a drummer. That's amazing. His mum's genes! I bow down.😃

Dee
Site Admin

Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:00 am

Well thank you, NR. As your boys have yours! Naturally all their fun and talent genes have been inherited from us :08: and the strange and peculiar ones come from their fathers, - or more likely the result of some alien abduction!

NurseRatched

Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 am

Isn't that the truth?! :72:

• Information